Once upon a time, before the end of the last century, Americans could buy cough medicines that worked. Codeine-containing syrups were widely available without prescription. Physicians also recommended terpin hydrate, an expectorant, from the late 1800s until the early 1990s.

Codeine is now much harder to find over the counter, although some states allow people to buy low-dose cough syrups. The purchase requires the extra security step of signing for the syrup, presumably to discourage abuse.

Terpin hydrate was removed from the market because the FDA had not received enough data to support its effectiveness. (A high-ranking FDA official admitted to us off the record that he had personally used it and found it helpful.)

As a result, we entered the 21st century with dextromethorphan as the primary ingredient in OTC cough remedies. It is the DM in Robitussin DM and other popular brands.

Now, though, the effectiveness of dextromethorphan is being questioned. The American College of Chest Physicians has issued new guidelines on the diagnosis and management of cough.

According to Richard Irwin, M.D., the head of the committee, “There is no clinical evidence that over-the-counter cough expectorants or suppressants actually relieve cough.

This shouldn’t come as a big surprise. In 2004, a study showed that neither dextromethorphan nor diphenhydramine (the antihistamine in Benadryl) worked better than placebo for kids’ coughs (Pediatrics, July 2004). Ian Paul, M.D., assistant professor of pediatrics at Penn State Hershey Medical Center, headed the study up. He told us, “One of the conclusions you could come to from the results of our study is that these medicines don’t work [for kids].

What makes DM more troubling is its potential for abuse. Some teenagers take high doses and may experience irregular heart rhythms, high blood pressure, confusion, hallucinations or seizures.

What can you do for a stubborn cough, then? If it is just a temporary symptom due to a cold, doctors mostly recommend “tincture of time. In other words, it will go away on its own.

That’s not entirely satisfying if someone in the household is hacking away and keeping the whole family awake. We’d like to suggest a different tincture of thyme–a nice warm cup of thyme tea, made with a half-teaspoon of thyme leaves per cup of water. A tea made from grated fresh ginger root can also be helpful. Either may be sweetened to taste, and both contain compounds that help suppress cough.

Another approach is to apply Vicks VapoRub to the soles of the feet. Socks will protect the sheets. We can’t explain how it works, but many readers vouch for it as a nighttime cough suppressant.

If your doctor will prescribe a codeine-containing cough medicine (Cheracol Cough syrup, Guiatuss AC syrup, Romilar AC liquid or Tussi-Organidin NR), you’ll get relief from a hard-to-control cough and it may help you fall asleep.

Another surprising option might be dark chocolate. Scientists at the National Heart and Lung Institute in London have found that theobromine, a compound in chocolate, is more effective than codeine for suppressing a cough. Someday it may show up in a good-tasting, effective cough medicine.

1. Peggy
    Ohio

I would like to know why they took penicillin off the market nothing ever works better for me all these amoxicillin don’t do a thing for me

2. EPS
    S.C.

An Army doctor prescribed turpin hydrate for my brother who lost a lung while stationed in Alaska. When he returned home in the 50s, we learned first hand from him how well this med was. YES, it worked and would still work if we could find it anymore.

I have taken it for severe bronchitis in the past from OTC. Just went and purchased it at the pharmacy. Not anymore. Sad isn’t it? Especially we who suffer from these horrid coughs day and night. Now I take equal amount of whiskey, honey, and lemon juice. Hide the whiskey! Protect the honeybees! Keep growing the lemon trees! We who seek shall find. (a cure)

3. Lynn F.
    Pembroke Pines, Fl.

My husband and I are both in our 80’s. As a child I wrote in my diary (which I still have) that the Dr. came to my home in the old days of house calls. He gave me medicine which was probably Elixer Turpin and I quickly found that my cold and cough had ceased! I had a chest x-ray and the Dr. diagnosed me with pneumonia and my husband with bronchitis. We both have a hacking cough. Wish I could get turpin at the pharmacy. I did not know they took it off the market.

4. John D.
    USA.

Im my humble opinion, there are all sorts of OTC “herbal remedies” available from health food stores that have not been proven effective, yet the FDA hasn’t banned them. Why is Terpin Hydrate BANNED by the FDA ??? It was an excellent expectorant! The codeine component was a cough suppressant, but you can get that by RX. I suspect none of the “Big Pharmas” will put up the funds for a clinical trial for something they can’t patent and make a bundle on, so perhaps they were instrumental in “persuading” the FDA to outright BAN it ???

5. Debra
    WI

Terrapin Hydrate was the only medication we used in our home as kids along with Vicks Vapor Rub, it was a cure all for coughs and colds. Vicks was used on our throats with a hanky folded and loosely tied around the throat to keep the Vicks on and out of eyes. It also was rubbed on our chests and it helped under the nose and a small amount in each nostril to help with breathing. I think they took it away to make money for the pharmaceutical companies and all those that invest in them. I think the drugs they put out now have created so many issues it’s unbelievable and it will continue to cause catastrophe to our society and has affected all ages in our society with drug abuse and crime. There are too many medications produced and way too many prescribed unnecessarily for everything from a headache to a finger with a splinter.

6. Cynthia
    Wilkes Barre, PA

My friend and I were talking about older remedies and how they were so much more effective. Elixir of Terpin was one of those remedies, it worked beautifully on hacking coughs. LET’S GET IT BACK ON THE MARKET, current OTC cough medicines DO NOT WORK – the only one’s that are effective have to be prescribed by a doctor. Cut the crap.

7. Lucy
    Cleveland, OH

I am another senior citizen. As a child in the ’40s, I often had severe coughs. My light-sleeping pop would come to my bedside with a spoon and a bottle of terpin hydrate and codeine. It always worked! Since then, I’ve only had ordinary and infrequent coughs. But I have a BAD one just now!

I’m taking Mucinex, which has worked for coughs with colds or allergies. But not this cough…possibly bronchitis? I’m sure (?) th &c would get the job done! But…I’d rather not go to the doctor for a scrip. I have some wonderful natural honey and I’ll see what I can do with that. My 30 year old granddaughter heard me mention that I wish I had some terpin hydrate and codeine and said that wouldn’t work. I assured her that it does! Thanks for the good info!

8. big hairball
    state of flux

I used to get bronchitis on a regular basis in the 80s, and terpin hydrate with codeine was the only thing that helped. I always said that it was the worst-tasting stuff man had ever created, but it sure got rid of bronchitis. That nice warm “glow” I felt from it made the taste a little more bearable.

9. Elap
    Indiana

I, too, used Elixir Terpin Hydrate with Codeine for my bad coughs – from childhood until it was no longer available. Now with an allergy-related (mold, mildew) chronic cough, I accidently discovered codeine again as the only medicine that controls my cough: I had been using Norco for post-surgical pain. I also observed that my chronic cough was not a concern of medical staff while under anesthetic. I discussed all of this with my Doctor who provided me with a generic Norco prescription for me to take as needed. I am a “senior citizen.”

10. Carol
    Illinois

I just looked for the hell of it if terpin hydrate was still available. I asked my doctor once and he said no. It DID work. I’ve had a cough the doctor can’t help with. I know a few spoons of terpin hydrate would work in one day. That’s why they stopped it, it worked!

11. Bonnie
    Avon NY

I remember trying a shot of old grandad and thinking it tasted just like that cough medicine my dad gave me- tenpin hydrate! Hmmm…. Maybe I need to go buy old granddad, seems how the powers that be banned the only med that actually WORKED!

12. terry
    panama city beach, fl

I took terpin hydrate for many years as it helped when my tonsils would swell up and i was coughing really bad. Kept me from having to go to dr and get script meds to do the same thing. And cost a lot less. Funny how our government can decide what works for our health and what doesnt. But then that is what the big drug companies pay them for.

13. Special Monkey
    Brooklyn, New York

My mother gave me terpin hydrate with codeine (a clear liquid in a small plastic bottle) as a child of 9 or 10, I believe in the early 1980s, I recall it was wonderful, warmed me up all over, soothed my cough, and made me sleep so well. I must admit, I took some on my own later (even though I wasn’t sick; it felt nice :). Wish it were still available here (it might still be in the UK), nothing else has come close to being as effective.

14. J
    KC

I have acute chronic bronchitis. Like others, I used terpin hydrate with codeine in small quantities but not for cough, I need it for the pain in my bronchial tubes. I use DM for cough it works fine, but the terrible pain in my lungs is unbearable and I can find no replacement for the codeine that killed the pain. Any info is welcomed.

• Charlie
      Ohio

I too grew up with TH .my mum was a nurse,and there,was always a bottle in the cupboard. I was prone to coughs,probably from sinus.

15. Emmjo

I have had Terpin for coughs back in the 70’s and 80’s. It really works. Takes your breath away and kind of tastes bad, but it works!

• Emily
      NH

I used to carry Terpin Hydrate Elixir in my music bag and found it very helpful before voice lessons and singing engagements. It was available at the time at pharmacies w/o Rx (non-codeine), and 1 tsp in a glass of water, or even undiluted tasted like Cointreau (orange liqueur)! I “hoarded” the last bit when it became unavailable — I may even still have a bottle with dregs in it!
      I’m interested in the dark chocolate idea because I notice more coughing when I have my chocolate “fix” — maybe it’s loosening the phlegm. Say, maybe a mix of Cointreau and dark chocolate syrup would work! :)