overcome dry mouth

Anticholinergic drugs are generally bad for the brain. They affect the crucial neurochemical acetylcholine. One worry about anticholinergic drugs is a link to memory problems or Alzheimer’s disease (Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, 46(4); 2015.  How would you know whether you were taking a strong anticholinergic medication? Here are some classic side effects of such drugs: dry mouth, blurry vision, dry eyes, reduced sweating, constipation, drowsiness, and confusion.

How Would You Know If You Were Taking Anticholinergic Drugs?

You might be surprised to learn that many health professionals do not know which drugs have anticholinergic activity. They learn that a drug such as atropine plus diphenoxylate (Lomotil), prescribed for diarrhea, has strong anticholinergic activity. Ditto for scopolamine (Transderm Scop), prescribed for motion sickness.

There are scores of other drugs, though, that also have strong anticholinergic activity. Take diphenhydramine (DPH), for example. It is the antihistamine in Benadryl. This ingredient is also found in lots of OTC nighttime pain medicines. It is the “PM” in products like Tylenol PM or Aleve PM.

We have pulled together a comprehensive list of anticholinergic drugs. You can access that list at this link.  You will be astonished at how many common medications are included.

Dry Mouth and Anticholinergic Drugs | A Reader’s Question:

Q. I have a problem with dry mouth because several of the medications I take cause this side effect. My dentist’s assistant told me about a wonderful product line. I have found Biotene mouthwash and toothpaste extremely helpful.

A. Biotene products contain water, glycerin, xylitol, sorbitol and other ingredients designed to lubricate the mouth. Thanks for sharing your success.

Drug-induced dry mouth is a tip off that you may be taking anticholinergic medications. Such drugs can cause dry mouth, dry eyes and constipation. They also impact brain neurochemistry, which in turn may increase the risk of cognitive impairment and dementia (JAMA Internal Medicine, March 2015).

We have included a comprehensive list of anticholinergic drugs at this link. Ask your doctor if she could substitute alternate medicines that will not cause dry mouth symptoms.

Where Can I Find A List of Anticholinergic Drugs?

Reports from Other Readers:

Susan in Indiana worries about her mom and anticholinergic drugs:

“My Mom is on three anticholinergic drugs. I can tell when she has taken them. She cannot process any information or remember what we talked about 5 minutes ago. I highly recommend moving to safer options if you can.”

Tony in Salisbury, Maryland, has concerns:

“I am on several medicines that are anticholinergic, especially Cogentin. The constipation required prune juice and fiber 3 times a day to fix. Cogentin had to go!

“I’ve been prescribed ziprasidone, low doses of thorazine and Benadryl for sleep.  In case those don’t work I take Ambien. The only med I take that’s not anticholinergic is lithium, to prevent mania, and it has damaged my kidneys.

“Ive been telling my doctors for a year that I’ve been having memory problems at times, and it’s like they don’t listen or care, so long as my blood pressure is good, my sleep is o.k., and I’m not crazy. Now that I’ve read this article I’m going to press for changes.”

If you would like to learn more about how anticholinergic drugs can cause symptoms like dry mouth and memory problem, listen to our free podcast with Dr. Shelly Gray at this link. Click on the green arrow above the picture of Larry Goldstein, MD, or download the free mp3 file at the bottom of the page.

1. Sharon
    Texas

I have been taking Nyquil Zzzz for quite a while. I do believe it contains Diphenhydramine HCI. It says it is non habit forming but I do not feel that I can stay asleep without it. I also have dry mouth. I am also having memory problems. It’s looks like I just need to quit taking it. I really appreciate the information that you provided.

2. Abigail
    WA

Anticholinergics have side effects that are particularly distressing for elderly people: cognitive difficulties such as mental confusion and loss of memory and physical problems such as clumsiness, dizziness and loss of balance.

3. Linda
    Texas

Forever Mints are also great for dry mouth. They stick to the gum line and last 3-4 hours. NeuOra makes them. They have xyitol in them & can get them with Vit D, chromium, and several other types. I’ve used these for severe dry mouth for years & love how it solves the problem, even at night.

4. Gary
    Utah

Have dry mouth? Drink water. It will not cost thousands a year.

• Sally
      WA

When dry mouth is caused by medicine, drinking water only works for a few minutes, and then your month is dry again. Don’t you think if it was that simple most people would be doing that?

5. Don
    Mooresville North Carolina

Tony,
    You need to find another doctor who is actually interested in your well-being and sees you as not just another patient on the list for the day. Get someone who will listen and explain to you in an understanding way and cooperate with your needs and wants,
    Don

6. Betty L W
    Texas

I am seeing a Rheumatologist for Sgogren’s and, of course, dry mouth is my worst situation. I am taking Pilocarpine 4 times a day, and added to my situation are dry eyes because of eye problems. For that I am taking Restasis when I can afford and sometimes get the imprimis. I also am doing autologous 4 times a day. Occasionally, because I suffer from diarrhea (colon cancer background) I take the Diphenoxylate. I also use Biotin mouthwash and toothpaste. I am 89. The only other presc. is losartan.

7. Stephanie
    home

The list of drugs does not include doxylamine succinate which is in Kirklands Sleep Aid. Is this an oversight or is the activity of this sleep aid not considered notable?

8. Nancy
    NJ

Thank you for listing the ingredients in Biotene. I have been considering using it. I thought I read the ingredients but guess not. Biotene products contain water, glycerin, xylitol, sorbitol and other ingredients designed to lubricate the mouth. Xylitol caused a permanent problem with my intestinal tract after only encountering it in sugarless gum. Within a month, I scheduled a colonoscopy. I am not taking an anticholinergic.

• Mary
      Albany, NY

The xylitol in Biotene products is NOT a problem to the digestive tract if you do not swallow the products! Biotene products are not supposed to be swallowed!

• Edwinna
        San Antonio, TX

There is also a Biotene spray which is thicker than the mouthwash. Great for on the go. There is also an Oral Balance Gel I like for night. My hygienist said the Act dry mouth rinse is better because it is anti-cavity. I’m going to try it. Always remember to have water wherever you go or gum containing Xylitol. I really like Trident for this purpose and always have it in my purse