doctor taking blood pressure reading, blood pressure high, misdiagnosed with hypertension

Meloxicam (Mobic) is one of the most popular prescription NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) in the pharmacy. According to our calculations, over 22 million prescriptions are dispensed each year. Doctors prescribe meloxicam ahead of naproxen, diclofenac and celecoxib. Are patients warned about a potentially serious side effect: hypertension?

A Reader Wants to Know About High BP:

Q. I have been on meloxicam to treat arthritis pain for about a month now. I had a procedure done yesterday and the nurse told me to keep an eye on my blood pressure until I see my doctor again.

I checked it again this evening and it was 168/117. My blood pressure was never this high before I started taking meloxicam. Could the drug be raising my BP?

A. The official prescribing information for Mobic states:

“NSAIDs, including MOBIC, can lead to new onset or worsening of preexisting hypertension, either of which may contribute to the increased incidence of CV [cardiovascular] events.”

All NSAIDs, including ibuprofen and naproxen, have the potential to raise blood pressure. You should definitely discuss this problem with your physician at your earliest opportunity.

Other Meloxicam Side Effects Include:

• Digestive distress
  • Skin rash
  • Dizziness
  • Ringing in the ears
  • Elevated liver enzymes
  • Kidney damage
  • Blood clots
  • Heart attacks and strokes

Share Your Own Story:

How well has meloxicam worked for you? Have you experienced any side effects or were the benefits far greater than the risks? Please share your experience in the comment section below.

1. Linda
    OR

When I take meloxican, I gain weight every time. I try never to take it unless I’m in extreme pain (arthritis) and then only for a few days. It’s not worth the misery of weight gain.

2. Mary
    NC

I was prescribed meloxicam for back arthritis. So far it works great and my bp has been fine. I am taking it alternately with otc nsaids as instructed. will discuss with my md next visit.

3. g
    Sandy

Back in 2008, I had severe hip pain and had a hip replacement. I was placed on celebrex, and the hip pain was reduced; however, I developed a-fib and serious kidney problems. I have never taken celebrex again, and I no longer have a-fib as the the result of an ablation in Aug 2017.

4. Melody
    MD

I was given a script for Meloxicam after knee replacement surgery. I was already on Rx for hypertension. After the 1st day on this medicine my BP shot up & I did not feel great. My physical therapist detected this & I was scared.

I took myself off this immediately & alerted the surgeon’s NP who was not convinced that Meloxicam is dangerous for older people on blood pressure reducing medicine. I am extremely wary of all NSAIDs & take curcumin instead.

5. Linda

I was prescribed meloxicam for plantar fasciitis several years ago. After several months I was diagnosed with Afib and the doctor said the medication probably raised my blood pressure too high and that could have sparked the afib. I was already on blood pressure medication for hypertension.

6. Mary J. B.
    CA

I tried Meloxicam and it did wonders for my arthritic pain, however, I had to stop because of the elevated blood pressure. I am on BP medication morning and night but that did not counter the effects of Meloxicam. I would love to find a supplement to help me.

7. lloyd
    LA

Before and after back surgery, I was prescribed meloxicam for decades. My BP was continually on the high side. Then in my late 70s my heart was found to have a premature ventricular contraction (PVC) along with a slow pulse. After reading that meloxicam is suspected to be a cause of aFib, I wondered when it would be suspected as a cause of PVC. (My cardiologist said only that if meloxicam was working as a pain medication, I should stay on it.) I took myself off meloxicam and take a high dose of turmeric. I am able to function as well as I could with meloxicam, and my BP has been better, but the pulse remains a problem.

8. PM
    Mt Vernon WA

I was prescribed Meloxicam about two years ago for knee arthritis. Since it’s just another NSAID, I only take one if I’ll have to do some walking. But I suppose if my pain ever got any worse than now, which is moderate, I might take it more often, so it’s good to know about the blood pressure connection. I’m 84, and my BP remains 120/70. I’d like to keep it that way!

9. Pat
    Florida

I haven’t been prescribed Meloxicam, but I have been prescribed Naproxen for arthritis pain. I have also noticed elevated blood pressure since taking this. So what does the doctor do? Prescribe a diuretic-type drug to lower blood pressure. I decided to stop NSAIDs altogether, even the OTC type. Only entity winning here is Pharma.