fewer bathroom visits,

Do you have to get up several times a night to make your way to the bathroom? Many readers would welcome a simple way to make fewer bathroom visits. Several report that they have indeed found a solution to this problem.

Making Fewer Bathroom Visits Overnight:

Q. I am going in for simultaneous knee replacements soon. I had to find something to stop the nighttime trips to the bathroom so I don’t fall.

Your idea of eating raisins seems to be working. I eat 10 in the morning and 10 at night and I’ve slept better than I have in years.

Raisins Reduce the Number of Bathroom Visits Needed:

A. We have heard from a surprising number of readers that eating raisins in the evening can reduce bathroom trips at night. We have no idea why this might work.

However, you can read more about this and other remedies for nocturia (excessive nighttime urination) in our brand-new Guide to Favorite Home Remedies. Access to this online resource can be purchased at PeoplesPharmacy.com.

Beets May Also Help You Make Fewer Bathroom Visits:

Some people report that beets are also helpful for reducing urination at night. That might be because compounds in beets help relax smooth muscle, but we really do not have a scientifically proven explanation. On the other hand, doctors don’t have many effective treatments for nocturia, as they term nighttime urination (Dani, Esdaille & Weiss, Nature Reviews. Urology, Oct. 2016). If munching a few raisins or sipping beet soup before bedtime can help, why not try it?

You will also find other ideas on improving sleep in our online Guide to Getting a Good Night’s Sleep.

1. Maggie
    Gaston, SC

i would love to hear from people who have actually tried the raisins or beet soup, I love them both, but don’t eat every day, but, if it indeed helped with nightly visits to bathroom when u half awake and half asleep, I will give it a try!

2. dzrlib

I would think twice about simultaneous knee replacements … the recovery time is fairly short and I don’t think you are doing yourself any favors by going double.

3. Roberta C
    Palm Springs, Ca.

I am 84 yrs old DO NOT have high blood pressure, nor diabetitis, nor high cholesterol , no heart disease. I jog a mile and a half in a large pool 3 times a week , also no knee or bone problems, I take calcium and Vit D3 everyday and I NEVER get a flu shot. Most of my friends my age do and still get the flu or flu like symptoms that last two weeks. I believe in eating a diet of mainly fruits and vegetables, grains ….

With meat, eggs and cheese as an appetizer: small bites. I have a drink of some type of alcohol everyday. I keep active helping others not so fortunate.

And I read and study your articles!

4. Penelope
    Florida

That’s fine, unless you have intolerance to raisins or grapes!

5. Lynn
    midwest

I have found taking homeopathy helps for both sleep issues and bladder issues as well as other things. My husband was a skeptic but is now a convert. There are various formulations and my guess is that our issues vary so try various related formulations until you find those that work best. Due to their low price and lack of side effects, I have found this to be a good solution. I found “Nerve Tonic” works for both issues for me. There are specific bladder and sleep products as well. They can be found at Whole Foods, health food stores and online.

6. Interesting
    Charlotte, NC

Since I started taking the tart cherry juice capsules mentioned on one of your programs, I’ve noticed that I am sleeping through the night more often. I sometimes wake up and have to go to the bathroom, but the urge is not so strong that I can’t roll over and go back to sleep. When I do wake up and have to go to the bathroom, I am always able to get back to sleep with no problem. For several years, I’ve gotten up once or twice virtually every night, so the ability to sleep through the night has been a wonderful benefit of tart cherry juice!

7. Mary
    raleigh NC

For daytime urination frequency, I used AZO urination frequency pills. It’s mainly pumpkin seed.
    It works great!

8. Linda

Might the reason why raisins reduce urination be that they are dried out and absorb moisture? Not sure how all the plumbing works, so this may well be a dumb suggestion.