Why do couples who love each other often experience diminished desire? Relationship expert Esther Perel says that achieving intimacy sometimes removes the mystery that makes sex so exciting.

Keep the Spark:

Drawing upon her decades of experience as a couples and family therapist, the author of Mating in Captivity tells how to keep the spark alive even in dedicated relationships. How can we learn to desire what we already have?

This Week’s Guest:

Esther Perel is a couples and family therapist and author of Mating in Captivity: Unlocking Erotic Intelligence, translated into 25 languages. She serves on the faculty of The Family Studies Unit, Department of Psychiatry, New York University Medical Center and The International Trauma Studies Program at Columbia University. Her website is www.estherperel.com

*This week’s show deals with adult sexuality. Although it is not graphic, listeners should be advised that it may not be suitable for everyone.

Listen to the Podcast

Buy the CD

Download the mp3

Air Date:January 10, 2015

1. Anonymous

Yes, transcript please!

2. Celeste
    Dayton,TX

Is it possible to read a transcript of a podcast? I am quite deaf so have not been able to enjoy them.

3. Tim
    Dallas

Awesome interview. Thanks for the show. Esther brings a level of openness and higher communication to a subject the desperately needs it. She has a message that is responsible and freeing a the same time. Dr. Ruth opened peoples minds to the act of sex whereas Esther Perel opens us to the relationship aspects of sex, specifically in modern times.

4. Rich
    Houghton MI

I wish I had heard this 20 years ago. at least two of the 5 million views of her ted talk are mine. Just listening to Esther’s voice livens me up, but then I’ve had little problem with my own level of desire. Did I hear her use the word terrorism for a partner being unavailable on a regular basis? That’s about how it felt. Thank you very much for making the recording of interview available.

5. Deb

I am having the same issue with my husband. He loves me, is kind and sweet, but has zero sexual desire for me. We have sex twice a year after I beg for weeks! Then, I am frigid and feel awkward because it has been so long and he seems to be rushing through it. It was nib

6. Dawna

Dude, boomers are NOT in their 40s now. That’s the forgotten Gen Xers, thanks ever so.

7. Debra

I might read a bit of a transcript, but can’t tolerate podcasts.