Vitamin D3 gel capsules, raise vitamin D, stronger bones, study of vitamin D supplements, adequate vitamin D

Previous research suggested that high levels of vitamin D would protect people against colorectal cancer. People with high blood levels of this hormone/vitamin were more likely to survive. A big observational study in Europe called EPIC had found that those with high blood levels of vitamin D were less likely to be diagnosed with colorectal cancer. No one had done a study that showed whether taking vitamin D supplements would be protective, however.

Now, a study including more than 2,000 people has shown that vitamin D and calcium supplements, either alone or together, did not reduce the chance of a recurrence of colorectal adenoma, a growth that may progress to a tumor. All of these people had had adenomas detected during a colonoscopy, putting them at high risk for a recurrence of adenoma. Since these growths can progress to cancer, this group is at high risk for colorectal cancer.

Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements:

The participants were randomly assigned to get 1,000 IU of vitamin D or 1200 mg of calcium daily, both nutrients or two placebo medications. They had a follow up colonoscopy three to five years after starting the study. The investigators were disappointed to discover that the vitamin D and calcium supplements made no noticeable difference in the risk of adenoma. The conclusion is that there is little or no likelihood that such supplements will reduce the risk of colorectal cancer.

New England Journal of Medicine, Oct. 15, 2015

1. Lynn
    Tennessee

I wonder if they used forms of calcium that are most readily absorbed by the body. Some are simply not.

2. Andrew J. Cutler D.B.Th; MCMA, Registered consultant medical herbalist

Not only is 1000 iu’s of vitamin D extremely low as a daily dose but the study fails to specify whether it used vitamin D2 or D3!
    The difference is critical and the only pharmaceutical trials I’ve ever come across use the former far less active form. I would urge people interested in learning more of the actual benefits and therapeutic uses of D3 buy a copy of the well researched book by Dr. Soram Khalsa MD entitled “the vitamin D revolution. Here you will learn the documented facts from an expert in his field. D3 has been clinically proven in adequate dosage to stimulate apoptosis (programmed cell death of cancer cells) and to aid the process of differentiation of the body’s cells, also to inhibit angiogenesis and proliferation of cancer cells.
    Never mind the poor quality, low dose and wrong vitamin D trials, this book is a “must read!”

3. Laurel
    Chapel Hill

I agree Sara. Without blood levels, this ‘study’ is worthless. 1000IU/day would not even get some peoples levels out of the teens. Show me a study where we have 40-60 and that results. Please Joe and Terry, don’t share bad science!!!!

4. Marie

I agree with the first poster—1000IU is WAY too low to prevent much of anything. I take 20,000IU a day and have for at least 6-8 years. I have my levels tested each year and they are between 60-70. I have not even had the flu or a cold in this time and I DO NOT ever take flu shots which are useless anyway. I am VERY skeptical of “research results”. Each person must do his own research.

5. Kristin
    Wisconsin

This study proves nothing. I was taking 1000 iu’s of vitamin D and when my blood level was tested, it was still below 20 (deficient). My doctor recommended that I take 5000 iu’s twice a day, and now my blood level of D is now 65 (upper normal). I don’t think that the small amount taken in the study shows whether or not D has any effect on preventing colon cancer. Even they say that amount “made no noticeable difference in the risk of adenoma.” To jump from that statement to their conclusion that these supplements will make little or no difference is very poor science indeed—-they should have tested various amounts with at least one group taking 10,000 iu’s a day.

6. DS
    Denton TX

1000 IU of D is a pretty low dose. It sounds like this study was designed to fail. Giving eight times as much and measuring the blood levels would be a better study.

7. A.X.
    East Coast

Not convinced! This study only shows that supplementing with that dose didn’t have an effect. But for many people, it takes quite a bit more than that to raise their serum levels of Vitamin D significantly. The previous research had used blood levels as the marker, not just supplement amount. In order for this new study to contradict the earlier findings, it would have had to look at blood levels.

8. Howard
    Florida

Another useless study because of the minimal amount of vitamin D that was used. Anyone who reads the many USEFUL studies on vitamin D would know that 5,000 to 6,000 IU/day is required for disease prevention in the majority of the population. The D3 blood level needs to be at least 50 ng/mL to have any chance of preventing any type of cancer and 1,000 IU cannot achieve that blood level in the majority of the population. And it appears that a higher blood level of 80 ng/mL is required for prevention of breast cancer, which takes even more than 5,000 IU/day for most people to reach.

9. Sara
    Usa

Once again a poor study. 1000IU is too low and we have no clue whad blood levels were. I swear they do this on purpose.

• Ray
      durham nc

Maybe they found two-thousand 35 pound subjects with colon adenomas for which the 1000IU/day dose would have been sufficient.

• Susan

Exactly what I was going to say – you need to test the blood levels of vit D. If it is not high enough you need to increase the dosage. I had a blood level of 15 even after taking 50,000 iu of vit d2 a month. I now take 6000 iu of vit d3 a day and my vit D level is at last over 40. Check the vitamin D levels people.

10. Judy
    Maryland

I’m not sure 1,000 IU of vitamin D would be enough, especially if they had a deficiencies, which is quite common. I take 5,000 a day to keep my blood level within a good range and I’ve had no toxic effects. I’ve seen this in many studies — subjects are given a smallish dose of the experimental supplement and that’s supposed to prove the supplement has no value.