Greek yogurt with fresh vegetables and fruits; dairy, combat constipation

It can sometimes be difficult to figure out the cause of an itchy bottom, and without a clear diagnosis, treatment can also be challenging. One woman came up with an ingenious–if potentially messy–solution.

Q. I have had many vaginal yeast infections over the years, so when I developed severe anal itching I wasn’t surprised to learn that this might also be caused by yeast. Vaginal ointments such as Monistat did not seem to help.

I read that yogurt can often be helpful for vaginal yeast infections. I had some plain nonfat Greek yogurt in the fridge and tried applying it to my derriere. It provided immediate relief.

I applied the yogurt several times a day, and within three days I had no itching and was able to stop treatment. An added bonus: the cool yogurt provides immediate relief to the burning and itch. I would not use yogurt for vaginal infections since there are other less messy options. But for anal itching it worked great.

A. We are glad to learn that yogurt applied to your bottom was so soothing. We have to admit that we had never heard of such a treatment for hemorrhoids or itchy bottom (pruritus ani).

Eating yogurt with live cultures is sometimes recommended as a preventive measure for vaginal yeast infections. Perhaps that would be helpful in your case as well.

Your approach, while creative, sounds a bit messy. Other recommendations that some people find helpful include sitting in a warm bath with baking soda or Epsom salts, cleaning (gently) with witch hazel or using warm tea bags as a compress on the area.

Some readers report that acid-suppressing drugs such as esomeprazole (Nexium), lansoprazole (Prevacid) and omeprazole (Prilosec) may contribute to this problem.

1. Name Withheld
    Location Withheld

I am currently trying the yogurt treatment. I am male. I have Greek 0% fat plain yogurt with 5 different types of live cultures, and it appears to be working. I have had an itchy anus or itchy bottom for the past 5 years. The doctors here are useless. They do not prescribe anything; they want to run tons of tests before saying anything, and then after testing they tell you not to use soap down there or to not scratch it, but they say there is nothing that they can do.

I read that the itch can potentially be a yeast infection which makes sense because of how this all started. The yogurt provides immediate relief, as the original poster stated. It is a bit messy but if it works, I don’t care I have been applying and reapplying it as soon as the itch starts. I wash it off with warm water about 1-2 hours later. In some instances I have left it on while I sleep and showered the next morning. I have been doing this for 2 days now. It appears to be working. I used to be plagued with having to scratch my bottom every 30 – 40 minutes, and now I think that I only itched when I woke up this morning. I have applied it 3 times today. It has been 6 hours since I have been awake. That showed an improvement. I cannot guarantee that this will work but I am at least trying it.

2. SHELLY
    NC

A friend had a yeast infection for a year, but is allergic to diflucan med which treats fungal infections. Her PCP prescribed a cream named “Nystatin/Triamcinololone Acetonide” to be applied topically and she was better within a week, and odor-free!

3. Ellen
    Durham,NC

Wondering , Would administration on IM abx. Vs Oral abx prevent
    C Difficele ( hostile bacteria). I have heard of people getting C.Diff after Mega IV abx in or out patient.
    Futher does oral intake of say, Clindamycin x 1 week physically strip
    Good out & hostile bacteria( C Diff) takes over . I didn’t realize that it is such immediate reaction.
    A previous comment above led me that this question. Thanks .

4. Mary Lou
    NY

I am allergic to all OTC meds for vaginal yeast infections. I have been using plain yogurt for ten years to ease the itching and to clear up the infection. There are no side-effects from this, at least not for me. It is not very messy for if one uses light-day pads.

5. Ladyliza
    Los Angeles

If you have had yeast infections for an extended time and rectal itching, I suggest you get tested for candida overgrowth. These are classic symptoms.

6. Helen M
    Modesto, CA

I recently have read several articles by Dr. Joseph Mercola on using a bidet. He even sells one; amazon sells many and they are not expensive. I get yeast infections and intertrigo in some of the folds that I have developed with overweight and aging. It strikes me that the cleaning a bidet offers could help with prevention. There are those that you can aim, others that you can direct the stream by leaning this way and that. I plan to try one and would be interested in hearing from others who have used bidets as to how well they worked for them.

• jackie
      indiana

I had my colon removed due to ulcerative colitis 5 yrs ago. I then had reversal surgery (j-pouch). I now have around 12 bm’s daily. My rear end was so sore from wiping. I had horrible diaper rash and couldn’t get rid of it.

Used every ointment (otc and rx). Husband bought me a bidet and was so helpful, but still couldn’t get rid of rash. Finally found Balneol lotion. Changed my life.
      Anyway, a bidet is wonderful. I can heat the water, but feels better being cooler. Balneol lotion is for vaginal and rectal itch. I would try this, but I also love my bidet. Good luck.

7. KC
    So Cal

Showering before bedtime and using baby wipes or the like every time takes care of all itching for me.

8. Bill
    Canada

I used Yogurt on a rectal fissure some years ago and found that it did a very good job of easing pain and discomfort. I eventually had to have the fissure repaired. As to being messy that can be helped by using a feminine sanitary product .

9. Carol
    WV

For itchy bottom/hemmorhoids, I fold a couple pieces of toiled paper and place it between the buttocks. Immediate relief.

10. Dan C.

This Feb. antibiotics by mouth for throat infection was followed by 3 weeks of diarrhea every 3 hours 24/7. Lab test identified a hostile bacteria that really plowed up my gut…followed by 10 days of something horrible to get rid of the hostile bacteria. Had to have two rounds to get rid of it. Then the strong pro-biotic to reestablish civility to my gut. Lesson learned: no more antibiotics by mouth for me. A later throat infection was treated by injections in the hip at my insistence. Dr. was cooperative.

11. Peggy
    San Diego

In children with itchy bottom, especially at night, keep pinworms in mind!

12. june
    SD

Plain old corn starch is wonderful for a sore bottom. It keeps the area dry, rather than moist, which aids healing. And it is cheap.I give this advice to new mothers to use on their babies for diaper rash.

• Laurie
      Waseca, MN

The thing for me with using Corn Starch is that Corn feeds Fungus and Mold. I am so prone to fungal infections below the waist that I can only use Talc products, no fragrance and with an Antifungal added to it. Would applying yogurt help with that I wonder?

13. Mark
    Belgium, WI

I cannot speak to the yogurt solution, but with my itchy bottom I eventually made a correlation with drinking diet soda. This was an elusive thing to figure out because it can take a couple weeks or longer to develop, and then just as long to go away after stopping the diet soda. Once I had this figured out the correlation was consistent and repeatable. I still cannot say if the result is the same with fresh diet soda, or with diet soda in which the sweetener has begun to break down (short shelf life of diet soda). But I stopped drinking any kind of soda and no more itchy bottom!