a jar of pickles, pickle juice for muscle cramps

Q. I work on a computer all day and my workspace is far from ergonomic. For months I have been waking up with tingling or “asleep” hands.

I have wrist braces for carpal tunnel syndrome. They help, but they’re not really comfortable, and I don’t want to wear them all the time.

The past few nights, I’ve had pickles and pickle juice with dinner on the advice of my boyfriend. On those nights, I’ve had no tingling at all!

I love pickles, and hope this keeps working. I have seen pickles recommended for muscle cramps and would like to suggest another kind of relief for those of us who aren’t star athletes.

A. You are the first person to tell us that pickle juice is helpful for tingling or numbness in the hands. On the other hand, we have heard from numerous readers that an ounce or two of pickle juice can ease leg or foot cramps. We would also encourage you to improve the ergonomics of your workstation as much as possible.

1. Barbara
    pennsylvaniaB6

vit b6 (200mg/d for 6 weeks) has been suggested by a surgeon who saw I was not anxious to take on even a relatively minor surgery that could in fact increase the numbness.

2. L
    United States

Tingling/numb hands is one of the many symptoms I experience thanks to Multiple Sclerosis. I’m going to give pickle juice a shot, I love pickles!!

3. Eva
    Tennessee

If I take 100 mg. zinc supplementation, my hands don’t fall asleep or tingle at night. (Zinc picolinate seems to work best.) Also I have to take large doses of magnesium to keep from having leg cramps (about 3x the recommend dosage) and 100 mg daily of potassium to avoid toe cramps at night. I wish I could find some way to assimilate these minerals better so I didn’t require so much daily.

4. Sharon Behun
    Buffalo NY

I thought I read in your information one of the causes of numbness and tingling in the hands was from some meds. I think blood pressure meds. Am I correct?

5. JDS
    Florida

I have used a teaspoon of mustard to get rid of muscle cramps. It’s a bit of a struggle to get it down it’s so strong. I never thought of pickle juice. I always save the juice from dill pickles and drink it on ocassion just because I like it.

Is there a common ingredient, such as tumeric or something in pickles and mustard?

6. anillehs

For my restless legs and cramps I have been taking one tsp of turmeric and, as a result, I have been pain free and have been sleeping well.

7. Nanette M.
    Cary, NC

I also have suffered with numb hands at night and thought it was carpal tunnel but have realized that it’s due to a nerve in my spine that pinches when I lay down. Stretching through my back helps as well as improving my posture at my computer and sleeping with my shoulders supported. Never tried pickle juice but I’ll give it a try!