Statin pills and a warning sign

For decades we have been receiving messages from people who have experienced devastating and debilitating muscle damage from their use of drugs like atorvastatin (Lipitor), rosuvastatin (Crestor) and simvastatin (Zocor). By 2007 we had names for these reactions: ALS-like syndrome, necrotizing myopathy and myositis. Here are just a few stories that barely scratch the surface of the pain and suffering people have described:

“After 4 years on Lipitor, my husband can no longer walk on his own. Two weeks ago I mentioned the possibility of Lou Gehrig’s disease (ALS) to his M.D. She said it was Parkinson’s disease.  After reading your article, I am confused.” C.D., Aug., 2007

“I began taking Lipitor in April 2000 due to a blocked artery. I was 50 years old.

“I started having memory loss after 4 years and took myself off. I got better, but in 2005 my cholesterol was up and the Dr. put me back on, but changed it to Crestor. In 8 months I developed weakness in my legs and couldn’t get up out of a chair, go up/down the stairs etc.

“I went off the Crestor on my own in Jan. 2007. I started exercising more, I had already been using the gym 3-4 times a week. I got stronger, in that I could get up out of a chair without using the chair arms. However, I began to see a loss of thigh muscle and was being diagnosed with osteoporosis.

“I mentioned my leg problems to the rheumatologist. He was concerned and after having electro-muscle probes and a muscle biopsy, I have been diagnosed with the rare Inclusion Body Myositis.

“There is really no treatment for this debilitating disease, but I am trying home injections of methotrexate. I’ve been taking the shots for a month. I’m not sure if I’m any stronger yet. I will continue for a few months and hopefully I will improve. If not, I will stop the shots and there will be nothing else to take.

“There is very little research on this disease since it is so rare. However, I did find an abstract in the Science Direct written in Feb. ’07 that research is linking statins to necrotizing myopathies suggesting statins may initiate an immune-mediated myopathy that may respond to immunosuppressive therapy. So, I’m somewhat hopeful.

“With us baby boomers using these statins to supposedly improve our lives, there may begin to be more cases of these muscle diseases. I personally think the statins, especially Crestor, initiated this disease. I will live with this the rest of my life and unfortunately the prognosis is that in 10-15 years I will be unable to walk without support.” B.A.H., Oct. 30, 2007

“My sister, after taking Lipitor for about a year or so, was diagnosed with ALS.  She lost her speech, ability to swallow, her balance, became totally degenerated and she died 18 months ago.  She was in perfect health and very strong for her age (76) until this dreaded disease struck her.

“It is imperative that people are made aware of this.  Too many of them are taking this medication and the pharmaceutical companies are making a fortune.” A. Nov. 4, 2007

“My father took Lipitor for two weeks. He refused to take it after that because he said his legs bothered him when he took it. He was a perfectly healthy active man before taking Lipitor. Nine months later he was diagnosed with ALS.

“Because he refused statins, the doctor told my mother he was a hard head and didn’t listen. His cholesterol was only slightly elevated; borderline high. I remember him telling his ALS doctor that Lipitor caused his ALS, but the doctor told him that is not possible.

“I find it terrible that doctors refuse to listen to their patients, and to an extent, almost ridicule them, when they try to save themselves from bad advice. I am not sure what is the bigger evil, statins possibly being the cause of my father’s death, or the doctors refusing to listen, possibly allowing more people to die.”  J.M., Nov 5, 2007

“Starting about two years ago, I took simvastatin daily for about three months in an effort to reverse known, but early-stage, coronary-artery disease. I discontinued it because of worsening weakness in my hands.

“Three months later, I agreed to try pravastatin which I took for about 7 months before the symptoms once again worsened. I once again stopped the medication and have not taken any statin drugs since. Nonetheless, my ALS-like symptoms are progressing and spreading.

“I am currently undergoing thorough neurological evaluations. Did the statins serve as a catalyst for a pre-existing condition? Were they simply unfortunate coincidences? Were they responsible for my other symptoms? So far, nobody seems to know.” M.R., Feb. 23, 2009

“I developed muscle weakness soon after starting Lipitor. When I complained to my doctor, he switched me to Vytorin. The muscle weakness continued even after being off the statins for 6 month. I was diagnosed with biopsy proven inclusion body myositis. My muscle strength continues to decline and my neurologist says that there is no effective treatment at this time.” M.K., March 26, 2013

“After taking statin drugs for approximately a year, I developed muscle cramps. I discontinued the drugs, but the muscle cramps and then muscle weakening continued. I was diagnosed with ALS in June of 2013.
Until the muscle problems started, I had always been very healthy and active.” Dona, Feb. 2, 2014

According to the FDA, such reports are mere coincidence. The agency analyzed data from clinical trials and concluded that:

“FDA Analysis Shows Cholesterol Lowering Medications Do Not Increase the Risk of ‘Lou Gehrig’s Disease’ Agency recommends no change in prescribing and use of statins”

The trouble with the FDA’s assessment is that it relies on industry-sponsored studies. When patients develop complications during such a clinical trial they may be dropped from the study and their data may disappear without a trace. In addition, there may be a genetic susceptibility that makes some people more vulnerable to this reaction than others. Clinical trials may not detect a signal that affects a relatively small number of people. But given that tens of millions are taking statins, even a relatively low risk can quickly turn into a large number of people.

A New Understanding of the Mechanism Underlying Severe Statin Myopathy

Doctors like mechanisms. In other words, they often don’t believe something unless there is a scientific rationale to explain it. That is why the ALS-like symptoms and myopathy issues have been so controversial. Many doctors have just refused to believe there was a reason for this complication other than simple aging.

Now, an article titled “The Spectrum of Statin Myopathy” published in Current Opinion in Rheumatology (Nov. 2013) reveals a potential cause for irreversible muscle damage triggered by statins.

The authors point out that 5-20 percent of patients “do not tolerate the side effects of statins, resulting in discontinuation of therapy.” Most of the muscle problems disappear after discontinuation of statins. The authors go on to say:

“In these patients, statins are thought to cause a direct toxicity to muscle fibres that is self-limited, here referred to as toxic statin myopathy. In contrast, a small number of patients with concurrent statin use develop a progressive, autoimmune necrotizing myopathy. This disorder is characterized by progressive muscle weakness, elevated muscle enzymes, specific autoantibodies against the target of statins, HMGCR and progression of symptoms and signs despite discontinuation of statins.”

The word “necrotizing” should raise red flags for any physician. It is derived from the Greek word nekros or death. It literally means “causing the death of tissue.” In the case of statins, the death of muscle tissue.

The article goes on to say that statin-induced muscle damage can occur within a week of starting treatment or after four years. In our experience with visitors to this website, it can even occur after more than a decade of use. The higher the dose of statin, the greater the risk, though some people seem to be so vulnerable that even a small dose can trigger severe muscle reactions.

The Bottom Line

Although most people are able to recover muscle function after discontinuing statin therapy, a minority develop an “autoimmune necrotizing myopathy” that continues despite stopping the medication. The authors of the report state that “Anti-HMGCR antibody testing may provide a useful noninvasive test to help diagnose these patients and direct their treatment.” Employing powerful immune-suppressing drugs may help control the progression of this disease, at least temporarily.

Ultimately, the FDA needs to come to terms with the large number of people who are suffering statin side effects. A re-analysis of the many ALS-like and myopathy case reports may lead the agency to reconsider its exoneration of statins. In the meantime, we hope that patients and their families will become more aware of this potential complication and take heed.

Share your own experience with statins below in the comment section. You may also find our book, Top Screwups Doctors Make and How to Avoid Them of interest. We discuss the tunnel vision that has made it hard for so many prescribers to come to terms with a variety of devastating drug side effects.

1. Laura
    Tampa

I have been taking 40 mg of simvistatin every night for roughly 15 yes now. In Sept 08 I had to have a triple bypass and a valve replacement. In Dec 16 I just has a hemorrhagic stroke and was in a coma for 21 days. I am still taking the simvastatin but after reading all of these complaints of muscle deterioration ( which no health care provider has ever mentioned to me!) I am going to go to my P- C. and see if there has been any damage done to my muscles.
    I have felt weakness in my whole body for a long time now but just blamed it on the aging process .But at the age of 54 I shouldn’t feel this weak. So I want to Thank all of you for these horrific stories you have shared with us.

2. suzanne
    Montgomery, AL

I have taken statins for 8 weeks, but am having to stop them due to extreme bi-lateral foot pain. This pain is so bad that I can barely walk no matter what type of shoes I wear. I feel if I keep taking this medication that I will be in a wheelchair by the end of the year.

3. Joe
    NJ

I have been on various statins for many years. Due to Dr. changes and medical issues the med was changed a number of times. I am 72 now and at this age you think the pains here and there are just age creeping in. But when you get pains for no reason, not over exercising or using muscles you havn’t used in years you have to wonder and realize it has to be the drugs.

I’ve changed statins a number of times due to unexplained pain. And now once again I and my wife will be stopping Lovastatin, (Mevacor), to see if our ailments go away. The problem will be finding a healthy alternative, again.

• Harvey
      Wisconsin

Did you seek legal representation and if so with who?

4. Larry
    Roswell GA

Starting at age 58, I have taken statin drugs off and on for 15 years (various/all name brands) and have had 5-6 major muscle pain and weakness episodes. Recovery can take 3-6 months and not all strength is recovered. The problem I have is that I (and I suspect others) have the pains slowly increase and I do not realize that the pains are caused by the statins until they become extremely painful and damaging. Each episode has affected different parts of my body so there is no pattern. I will not use statins again.

5. JA
    St. Joseph,MO

My husband and I are both on statins and we are both having leg weakness. I have fought it for years and my husband looks like an old man when getting out of his chair and starts to walk. He is 52. I really feel they need to do further research on the statins since so many people areaving such problems. I feel at times I will not be able to walk in a few years. This is very alarming!!! Please help!!!!

6. Rand
    USA

I lost my right inner ear and thus my balance in 1995. Three years later I suffered a silent heart attack. Three years after that I suffered pain and Cardiologists inserted a stent and started me on Crestor. The weakness became noticeable over a period of years manifesting when I was unable to stand from sitting.

I blamed it on the balance problem which distorted my understanding of what was happening. General muscle weakness continued to develop slowly with a slight problem with swallowing. There was little or no pain. Eventually standing from any sitting position became impossible. I began raising every chair I used including my toilet because at a high enough height I could tilt myself forward and stand. I continued the statins and the loss of muscle mass continued. I’m a writer and my hands became so weak I took a test for carpal tunnel syndrome.

The physical therapist did a electro-nerve test and then immediate set up an appointment with a neurologist because of the results but didn’t tell me what was wrong. I was diagnosed with IBM symptoms without the inclusion bodies after a thigh muscle biopsy . My leg quads are now almost useless and my forearms and hands are severally limited. Ran out of money to buy the Crestor so I quit taking it. My condition seemed to plateau. Then my Drs. demanded I start Crestor again because of my cholesterol numbers. Immediately the massive muscle weakness restarted within four days. The only change was the reintroduction of Crestor.

7. Barbara
    Boston Ma.

Wish I knew about this site along time ago ! I’m a female at the time I was put on Simvastatin at age 48 I weighed 151lbs. Right away I started having right shoulder pain and then into my upper right back, told the doctor that I was seeing and she said well we can run some blood tests ? Well they all came back sky high , I had blood in my urine, she kept sending me for blood work every 2 weeks or so and it all came back either very high or very low, she said something was wrong after 9 months she could not help me !!!

The only medication I was on was the Simvastatin!!! Went to another primary care and she tried figuring out what the problem was ! She said she would not give me anything for the pain until she found out what was wrong !!! She fin ally sent me to a Rheumatologist, by this time I weighed 96lbs I’m 5’5″ was very healthy !!! The Rheumatologist did alot of blood work and listened to all my muscle, joint pain, I could not think straight , the pain was so bad all I could do is cry, could barley get out of my bed, my son had to tske me to doctors, well the tests came back and she told me to stop the simvastatin right a way ! She said your alergic to it!

My primary care doctor said the pain will stop the next day of not taking it….the horrid pain never left !!! It been 9 years now and I’m labeled with Fibromyalgia !!! Because the drug companies tell the doctors not to say it’s from the Simvastatin! !! I even called I think it was Merck the drug maker and asked how to reverse this ! He said to read him the 4 letters on my script bottle !!! He said ohhhh that’s Zocor the generic brand ! You have to call TURKEY !!!

I told him it was Simvastatin for the first 2 years of this HORRID PAIN !!! He said I’m sorry I can’t help you and hung up !!! I am 59 now have a hard time walking, can’t even stand holding my new grandson, my upper body is sooo week, and migrains started in 2014 and my Neurologist said that (something attacked my body in 2010 from looking at my records ).

And it took the linings off my nerves !!! He did a biopsy of my left upper leg muscle, but the lab did not know what they were supposed to be looking for. I know this is a long rant but I cannot get any help and I live near Boston Ma. And still cannot find help with this horrid dibilitating pain. No one ever checked my Cholesterol the whole time I was going thru this and lost all that weight….they will kill you before they cure you.

8. JLM
    Saskatcewan

After reading these articles of personal experience with taking statins. I am convinced that my brothers condition is directly related to the Lipitor he was taking for 11 years. Not sure what doctor would of kept him on statins for that long of a period but they did. Last spring he started noticing his muscles getting smaller and started experiencing pain and tingling in his feet, legs and now all over his body. He has been doctoring since July with this growing problem and nothing is showing up in any of his tests.

Numerous blood tests have come back normal, MRI has come back showing no nerve damage. His muscle atrophy has become quite noticeable since Christmas and he is suffering with more pain throughout his whole body. The mystery of all this is he has not lost weight- just muscle loss an increasing pain. He is waiting to go back to his neurologist to see what he thinks and hope he does a muscle and nerve biopsy.

Anybody out there with any suggestions please let me know with any ideas or more tests that should be done. Unfortunately if it is related to lipitor no medical professional is going to state that. Has anyone out there with these same symptoms had there astrogin -1 gene tested. Its a gene that the statins activate and can cause muscle atrophy. I’m not sure how they test that. Any suggestions please reply back to me. Needing to find answers asap.

• dale
      wa.

I also suffer. After reading all the comments, it’s the same way I have felt . I hurt all the time. I can’t get any doctor to even listen to me when I tell them it the statins that causing it they are brain washed by big pharma.

9. Linda
    London

I was put on statins 8 years ago at the age of 52 years, following a stroke. Both Simvastatin and Atorovastin caused chest tightness and a crushing sensation over the sternum after taking for only 10 days!! They also caused muscle wasting that continued for a few weeks after stopping them. My legs became like jelly, my heart felt like it was struggling to beat, my muscles seemed to disappear! I am convinced that I would not be here 8 years later if I had continued to take them, they were causing myopathy and cardiac myopathy. Now I regularly walk 5 miles a day.

10. Roseanne
    Liverpool ny

I am a 69 year old female who was taking Crestor for 2 yrs. I noticed I was not walking much, after walking about a mile every morning. So I stopped taking Crestor, and I still noticed that my legs are very weak, and now I have pain in my feet.

While I am not an invalid yet, I’m very very unbalanced, and you have pain in my calfs making walking very uncomfortable but now I’ve fallen two times, but my doctor says it’s not the Crestor. I will not take another statin ever again, there’s no other explanation for the leg weakness and foot pain.

11. dave

My wife was a long-term statin user and now has ALS. When she was diagnosed with ALS her gp took her off the statin. We were too devastated by the ALS news to ask ‘why?’

Now, we can see why this happened. Doctors are worried by the significant link between statins and neuropathy. No individual or research group is going to take on Big Pharma and have their hot shot lawyers destroy their careers.

12. dave
    canada

No one has the guts to take on Big Pharma over the significant association between ALS and statin-use. Not surprising really. Those big shot drug companies are not interested in curing you of anything. They simply want to sell you more drugs.

13. Lois
    PA

I had an ischemic stroke and entered the hospital where my resistant hypertension was noted but even though I told the doctors that I was allergic to Lipitor (the only statin I have taken before and had a bad reaction), I was put on lovastatin without my knowledge. Two weeks later and a week after being home, I experienced a muscular-skeletal myopathy that crushed my chest and made it hard to breathe. I stopped the statin right away. Now I can’t sleep lying down at night and the crushing sensation of my rib cage and across my back is present 24/7. I’ve done hours of research because my PCP knows nothing about this problem and I want to help her understand the agony I’m living in. It’s going on two months and of course I fear the stories of this problem lasting longer than just weeks or months. From all my research, there is no known cause or treatment for this debilitating problem. I am a petite female over 70 years of age, a noted prime target for statin side effects. Some of my doctors don’t (won’t) believe me but I’ll keep looking for other victims of statins. I’m taking my CoQ10 capsules, Vitamin D3, sticking to a mostly DASH diet. Where is the cure?

• Annie
      South east Wisconsin

Lois,

I took a statin for 6 months and was taken off the drug because I developed horrible muscle pain throughout my body. I also noticed the deterioration in muscle mass and weakness in my body. I have a couple of dogs I walk a little over a mile each day and frequently had to stop along the walk because my legs felt like I was doing the hardest workout ever.

I have always been very active and athletic, too, but now I feel clumsy at times and unbalanced, and the muscle soreness keeps me awake at night too. I had a couple more blood tests done this week and the doctor gave me some options to consider, one being to take a muscle relaxant. It made sense to me because the remaining mass of muscles are over worked and cramping, they have been damaged and need to heal. I am taking the RX 3 times a day and I sure can tell when it’s time for another tablet. On the plus side, I can sleep for at least 6 hours.

14. Sherica
    Georgia

I had neck surgery c3-c7 and 2 days in the hospital I had a heart attack and a stent was placed I was put on lipitor for months until my cardiologist took me off because of my leg pain. Shortly after I went to my primary care and she put me on livalo and the pain continued and worsen. My cardiologist took me off this and said it’s the statin drug that’s causing the pain. I returned to my primary care and once again informed her of what my cardiologist suggested and took me off. She then decided I take Zettia because I’m a high risk and said it was a cholesterol meds but not a statin. Confused Have anyone taken Zettia and any side effects. ?

• Mel
      53573

I worked out in the hot sun most of the day repairing fence. got to the house ate the evening meal and got what I thought was gastric reflux hurt pretty good it passed. Later we were in town and had another minor pain. we were near the Hospital so I decided maybe I should be checked. I was rushed into ER told I was having a heart attack. Was hooked up to a bunch of tubes and very shortly was air lifted to a major medical center. Next morning was in an operating where with asking or even mentioning they proceed to put a stent in, which by the way IK watched on a monitor. Now over 16 yrs later has not replugged. But the satins they insisted I take have completely ruin me. Can barely walk and can do no work and have a hard time dressing myself.

15. Tara R

I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease a year ago at the age of 69. For several months I had noticed tremors in my right hand and the shaking of my right foot when sitting, as the disease progressed I totally lost balance.

Neurologist had me walk down the hall and said I didn’t swing my right arm. I had never noticed! I was in denial for a while as there is no history in my family. I used amantadine, Carbidopa/levodopa and physical therapy to strenghten muscles all failed. In 2016 a friend suggested Newife Heral Clinic who have successful heral treatment for Parkinson’s disease, I contacted the heral clinic via their website and purchased the Parkinson’s disease herbal supplement, I used the herbs for 7 weeks and my symptoms were reveresed. Its been 6 months no sign of parkinson’s disease, contact this herbal clinic via their email (newlifeherbal @ gmail. com) or visit their website (www. newlifeherbalclinic. weebly. com)

16. Anita P

Statins should be banned until more thorough research completed, Big Pharma should not offer inducements for the Doctors Etc. to prescribe them.
    They are ruining lives including mine.

17. SAM
    Las Vegas, NV

My doctor put me on Red Rice Yeast, 2x600mg capsules 2 x day and 1-1000mg fish oil 2x day, to treat total cholesterol at 246. About a month into taking RRY, just finishing one bottle or 120/capsules I noticed my lower legs really cramped, worse in evening even kept me up three nights in row. Then it spread to lower back, developed chills, nauseous, agitated, could not think. Off RRY, now for about two weeks.

Still very nauseous, chills, right lower/mid back pain, cant think clearly, dizzy. Worsens late in day after full day work. I work in office so sit a lot and try to get up/down every 30/minutes. Feel horrible most of the day, not myself…trying to work thru this drinking extra water, fish oil, CoQ10, and my regular vitamins. This treatment has really affected me and I hope it calms down soon. I would not wish this on anyone.

18. Mike Espo

At 58 years old my primary doctor finally convinced me to take a statin to reduce my LDL…total cholesterol was 225. I took a low dose of simvastatin for a little over a year and noticed weakness and muscle cramping. I woke up one day with piriformis muscle syndrome and lost the use of my right leg. Prior I was playing racquetball at a championship level. I instinctively stopped taking my meds and started to rehab my leg and am back almost 90%. Walking over a mile 3/4 days a week and making nice progress. WILL NEVER TAKE ANY OF THESE CONVOLUTED DRUGS EVER AGAIN..

• Paula
      Spokane,WA

First of all, I am a Certified Medical Herbalist. Red rice yeast 600mg x 2 twice a day is way too much. It should be 600mg one in AM and one in PM. The fish oil is too low to do any good at all. That needs to be at least 3000mg X twice a day.

Remember–on fish oil–light color pills are junk cause burps and is not good pure oil. You need darker color fish oil which is more pure. You can take high amounts of fish oil with no problems as it is very good for aches and pains in the body and legs.

Again on Red Rice Yeast, it does have statin properties. Too much causes problems. You also can not eat grapefruit taking this.

Take Lecithin 1200mg three a day to help clean the arteries. A 246 cholesterol is NOT high. The new standard is 200 which is too low. Your body needs cholesterol to function. People with low cholesterol below 220 have triple the rate of heart attacks than people with higher cholesterol.

Eat high good fats, olive oil,coconut oil, avocado oil, almonds, cashews. NO protein bars,they are full of garbage unless they are total GREEN food and less RED meat !!!

19. J
    Arkansas

I had been on Crestor for 10 years. I had some muscle aches but took Celebrex to fix that. Last year at age 73 I had a heart attack. Drs raised my Crestor from 20mg to 40 mg. Within 3 months I was in the hospital, my kidneys working only 15%! I almost died! I had rhabdo. Muscle breakdown that clogged up my kidneys. I did recover but can never take a statin again. I have inherited high cholesterol so am trying the new drug Repatha although it is so expensive even with insurance so I may not be able to continue. Some minor side effects. We are all guinea pigs for these new meds!

20. william
    porthcawl

I’d been having trouble with statins, ie muscle stiffening and soreness. I was put on Pravastatins last June and was pleased that none of the above symptoms returned. However I was also walking between 30 and 40 miles a week. Slowly but surely I began to develop a stoop which has got worse. I stopped taking them in June but no improvement. A doctor suggested if it was statins the symptoms would have gone by now. Today I’m seeing a back specialist.

• Pat
      Toronto

Been on both not good try Immunocal works great

21. Barbara
    Portland, OR

My boss developed IBM after taking Lipitor for less than a year. He was originally diagnosed with ALS about 10 years ago. He went to Philadelphia, but there is nothing they can do. He is presently considering trying a tincture derived from marijuana to try to reduce inflammation. His doctor is skeptical. It is legal in Oregon, so I will update if it helps at all.

22. Joe
    WA

Hi I was using statins for about 10 years. Noticed soreness in hips and weakness in my leg muscles. I stopped taking them for 45 days most of my pain went away and strength came back. Decided to try the statin again just to see if the weakness would come back also due to all the hype about strokes when not on statins. Now i cant get out of a chair without using my arms and can not get up from a squat. Im stopping and will not take another statin im 56 years old and have always been very strong.

23. tammy
    connecticut

My husband went to the hospital-his sugar was 1642(not a misprint) and they put him on statins because of his cholesterol.

Today, he is so weak he can’t leave the house-it hasn’t effected his breathing or anything yet. The worst of the pain is in his neck, shoulders and back. He trembles if he has to reach to pick up anything. All of this happened after he took the statins for a year-the pain started almost immediately-but the drs insisted this was something from his diabetes and for him to stay on the statins. He went to a neurologist-but they never even did a muscle biopsy-they just treated him like he was crazy-because statins couldn’t do this to him-right?

I am so angry-I lost my husband 8 years ago-and all there is left is this broken empty shell-and there is nothing I can do for him.

24. Ann
    Panama City, FL

I was on Atorvastatin for three weeks when I found it brought my total cholesterol from 250 down to 125; my BP went from 115/70 to 90/60. I stopped taking the statin immediately upon finding out I had reached my goal of lowering my total cholesterol. In what I had thought was a measure to improve my health, I quickly found out differently when the muscle pain set in. First it was in my back and neck. Once that quit hurting, it was like toxins went from body part to body part. After 10 months, for whatever reason, the pain has settled for months on end now in my right upper arm. The pain is intense and it literally feels like the muscles are being eaten away. I am on CoQ10 and other oils, Fish Oil and curcumin (for inflammation). My C-PR (blood work) is off the chart saying my body has inflammation. I am at a loss of what to do. My family doctor swears it is my thryoid and has me on Synthroid to ease the muscle pain, but I’m not convinced… I know it’s the statins……

25. SHK
    Arkansas

My husband went from a strong man of 65 (who chopped his own wood)
    and could lift extremely heaving objects. Within a period of 6 weeks he couldn’t lift his arms, couldn’t sleep for the pain in his shoulders. Dr. took him off his Statin drug and the last two months he has lost muscle tone, can’t get out of his recliner by himself. He now has pain in almost every joint.
    I put him on coQ10 last week and we are watching and waiting. He is miserable. He had been on his Statin for over 20 years so we fear this is permanent. He is getting blood drawn often to watch his levels of Creatine
    and inflammation. Sleep is impossible which makes the fatigue even harder to deal with.

26. Ayde
    Atlanta

I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in august 2016, I also have sjogrens syndrome, I only take plaquanil 200 mg and 2 months ago I developed muscle weakness. …I’m only 39 years old. …I don’t know how I developed this…I had a muscle biopsy and still waiting for the results. …I’m currently taking prednisone 80mg…a day…