an itchy man scratching his back

Q. After reading some of the stories on your site about Zyrtec, my summer started to make sense in retrospect.
I started Zyrtec at my doctor’s recommendation for itchy skin on my hands. But every time I would missed taking it for some reason, I would end up way worse, with full-body hives. I couldn’t understand what was happening, as I have never had allergy problems.
After I read the People’s Pharmacy article on Zyrtec, I threw my pills away. I had only taken them for three weeks, but did not escape the withdrawal hives. Day 4 was the worst, and since I had read that, I tried to be patient, and the hives did finally go away, not to return.
What a drug! And my doctor just looked at me blankly as I reported this outcome. He didn’t even answer or seem interested, and he didn’t seem to know about the withdrawal.
A. Cetirizine (Zyrtec) is an antihistamine often used to treat allergies, nasal congestion or hives. Doctors frequently recommend it as less likely to cause drowsiness than popular pills containing diphenhydramine (Benadryl, for example). Nonetheless, cetirizine can also cause drowsiness.
Many visitors to PeoplesPharmacy.com have reported dreadful itching upon withdrawal from Zyrtec. Some have also reported other withdrawal symptoms. Here are a few of their reports:

“I took Zyrtec 1 at bedtime for two years for allergies. It did help with the sneezing, runny nose and congestion, but I recently decided to stop it. I did it as I would most other long-term drugs: I tapered it back. About two days after halving the dose I started itching. One minute my scalp, then my thumb, then it would move to my arm or my chest or my foot or the my face.
“The itch was constantly moving and I was scratching (which I knew was making it worse), so I really tried to ignore it. Apparently, though, I was itching in my sleep and would wake with scratch marks.
“I looked it up to see if this was common and found all these blogs. I was really angry as I’m so uncomfortable and there was nothing about this in the medical literature. I have no hives, just incredible itchiness and I don’t want to take medicine for it. Local lotions and creams don’t help.
“I called the manufacturer and was met with incredibly dumb answer center employees, who claim this is very unusual, and they really have not heard of it. I asked the last “expert” what her education was and she said a medical assistant. She was not very knowledgeable, particularly about histamine at the cellular level (Zyrtec is a type of antihistamine).”

“I’ve been taking Zyrtec for almost a year now because of my cat allergies. I grew up with a wide variety of animals and as an adult now work with them.
“My cat allergy developed when I was a teenager. My symptoms are a runny nose/marathon sneezing, itchy eyes (only if I rubbed them after petting a cat) and a sore throat. I have both psoriasis and eczema so I couldn’t really tell you if I ever develop skin itchiness because I’ve been unceasingly itchy for as long as I can remember.
“When I miss a dose of Zyrtec, my symptoms come back tenfold almost to a textbook time lapse. If I take my last dose Monday morning at 8 AM I’ll start sneezing uncontrollably by 8 PM on Tuesday. It’s miserable.
“The weirdest withdrawal symptom I have is vivid, bad dreams. I was wondering if anyone else has this happen? I can recollect every detail and I’m usually woken up by the nightmare aspects. I’ve tried googling this and it seems these dreams are a common side effect of taking Zyrtec but nothing about experiencing it only as a withdrawal symptom. I only have these dreams as the latter.”

“I used to have seasonal allergies and Zyrtec was prescribed. Although it stopped my sneezing, after awhile I realized I wasn’t hearing well at all; my hearing seemed as bad as that of my elderly parents. My doctor thought the Zyrtec might be the culprit so he prescribed Claritin instead. That worked briefly but my sneezing then became more violent so he prescribed Allegra-D. That did the trick. No sneezing and no itching, but I didn’t like the idea of being dependent on medication.
“When I read in Dr. Andrew Weil’s newsletter about the antioxidant quercetin helping with allergies I immediately got some. I have taken it every day along with vitamin C for several years now and I no longer have seasonal allergies. I can even be around cats! I carry some Allegra with me when traveling just in case something sets me off, but I am a great fan of quercetin and have recommended it to a lot of people.
“By the way, we learned that mature men should not take decongestants. If allergy meds are needed, men should take plain Allegra, not Allegra-D or other decongestants. Decongestants can cause an enlarged prostate to block the flow of urine so catheterization is needed. When that happened to my husband, every doctor who saw him in the emergency room and the urologist afterward asked if he had taken decongestants! We had never heard that before.”

The caveat on decongestants for men with enlarged prostate glands is a serious one that everyone should heed. Having a catheter inserted in the emergency room is no picnic!

1. Diane
    California

I’ve been taking Zyrtec D for about 10 years. I have tried to taper off because I really want to be off this medicine, but, every time I do, within 36 hours, I have severe anxiety, my heart starts pounding, I feel as though I can’t breathe, and then, the itching starts. I then give in and take another Zyrtec D and within minutes, I get relief. I have no idea how to get off this medicine. Perhaps I need a detox facility…might Allegra D help? Wouldn’t that be replacing one drug for the other?

2. Steven
    Idaho

I’ve been taking zyrtec for almost 4 years now. It helps with my allergies so I kept taking it. I stopped taking it for a few days now, because I kept forgetting to get more. Now I’ve just been itching like crazy and it’s driving me insane

3. j-girl
    alabama

I have a pulmonary condition long story short… had to take every type of antihistamine possible and finally was able to stop them all… and STOMACH ACID OVERPRODUCTION AND CRAMPS is all i can say right now…. I cannot seem to survive the withdrawals…. it feels like I have an ulcer in my stomach now….. but I am assuming this is all just antihistamine withdrawal issues…. just warning people and/or hopefully helping someone not feel like their crazy for feeling this way…. and yes I relate to all the other people about the headaches and itchiness… but for me the STOMACH ISSUES from WITHDRAWAL of these antihistamines are what are crippling me…. I’m trying to half the zyrtec at night so I do not keel over in extreme stomach pain and or nausea …

4. jh

I think I posted this comment on the wrong page (oops) but if the site will let me, I will also post this here: I have found two things that help me get past the terrible itching in hands and feet from Zyrtec withdrawal.

1. Hydrocortisone (topical) – I was so desperate I stole some of my cat’s “hot spot” spray. It worked.

2. Hand-held vibrating massager – numbs the nervous system.

I should also add, hot showers also help me.

5. Stacy

I have been on Zyrtec for 34 years. If I miss a dose my body starts experiencing intense allergic reactions. I’ve started to have food sensitivities for the last 5 years. They have been increasing in number of foods and intensity. My mouth would swell when I would eat something I am sensitive to and then I would start having excessive urination. I would start getting dehydrated and my body would hurt everywhere and cramp up. I felt like I had systemic inflammation. I talked to a acupuncturist. He thinks the prolonged use of zyrtec drove my allergies deep into my body until it couldn’t contain it anymore and my body is becoming inflamed from the suppression of histamines that is driving my allergies deeper and more systemic.

6. Joe

Just wanted to say to anyone quitting: it took about 4-5 weeks but the symptoms do eventually go away! Hang in there!

7. Ryan
    Georgia

I was taking it for only a couple of months and had no issues while taking it. I took it to create a good sleep sqedual. When I stopped I began having horrid nightmares that redefined what fear realy is for me and I couldent tell I was dreaming nor could I wake up. I have resumed taking it because how awful these dreams where. The English language can not describe how these effected me. Not worth quitting.

8. Heather
    Dayton

I stopped taking zyrtec on Friday, October 28th. I have an upcoming re-test of my allergies and I can’t be on any medication. Saturday, I got the worst headache I have ever had in my life. Nothing was helping. I started with ibuprofen, which normally helps. That didn’t help so I alternated between acetaminophen and ibuprofen. It was about 24 hours later that it finally started to go away. Unfortunately, it didn’t completely go away. Then the itching started. I can’t stop itching for a second. I am tearing the skin right off of my body. It’s day 4 and I don’t test until this Friday. I don’t know if I will have any skin left. Has anyone tried anything that helps with the itching? I am definitely not going back on Zyrtec. This is too painful. I will be reporting this to my doctor and make sure I tell everyone I know not to every use this medicine.

9. Samantha
    IN

I can’t believe this is happing my 9 year old has been taking this medicine a long time and I’m thinking that maybe he needs to be put on a different allergy cuz he is allergic to of all things dust so the doctor said he needs it all year so just after reading this I may just have to switch anyone have a med that is good for the allergys