Q. What is the dose of gin for the gin-soaked raisins? I mean, after about six ounces of gin and half a pound of raisins I must admit I felt no more pain!

Just fooling. Can you tell me how much is recommended per day? I’d like some experiential knowledge from those who have obtained a positive result without getting soused.

A. Luckily, you do not have to get tipsy to benefit from gin-soaked raisins. The dose is nine a day. We had them analyzed, and there is approximately one drop of alcohol in that amount.

For more details, we are sending you our Guide to Alternatives for Arthritis, with instructions on preparing the raisins and answers to frequently asked questions. We also discuss other approaches to easing joint pain, in case the raisins don’t work for you.

Here is what another reader reports: “I am a non-believer pretty much but what the heck! I got the raisins and the gin. (There sure are a lot of different kinds, flavors, and prices in gin. It did get expensive). Before I started I could only do one step at a time on stairs. One step, catch up with the other foot, take another step, catch up.. etc, always with pain.

“In ten days I could walk the steps almost normally, and today, 16 days into the raisins I can actually run up and down the stairs with no pain. (I am almost 80, so I do run slow!!) Also that first foot on the floor in the morning and crossing the room is often very painful… and that appears to be gone now. It all could be temporary; I am waiting for that to happen. We shall see.”

1. Deborah

My partner and I have been eating the ‘drunken raisins’ for more than a year. My understanding is that gin is made from juniper berries which are anti-inflammatory. It is very simple to make…one glass container, one box of of golden raisins covered by gin.
    We mark a calender and decant in seven days. We spread strained raisins on paper towels for about 24 hours then place in glass jar. We eat ten a day in oatmeal, granola or added to nuts like peanuts, almonds and walnuts for PM snack.
    Cinnamon can also be added to original mixture added anti-inflammatory qualities. We tried the decanted gin as a liquor but much too sweet… so we add to our compost. Ron has had pain in hands for several winters, now 66 years of age. I have had numerous body pains at 62.
    We are in our second year of using the raisins with measurable success. I just found out that nine gin soaked raisins contained one drop of alcohol…. works for us… Good luck

2. Len

Learn to like raisins because this works. Then try cranberries on your own.

3. Ellie S.

I have had arthritis for quite awhile but it never bothered me much until the last couple of years. My hands are so bad I can hardly do much and now my right foot I think has some arthritis too. I read about your gin and raisin recipe. I am willing to try it. Could you please send me the recipe?
    I really enjoy your newspaper articles. Very informative. My husband has leg cramps and all the medications the doctor has given him has not helped him. I told him about the tart cherry juice. I have finally found it in a health store and will go purchase it. Thanks again!

4. NBC

I can not have gluten and all the gin I have found has some form of gluten in it. I am soaking my raisins in potato vodka now but am not sure if it will be any good. Is there a gin that is gluten free?

5. PK

Hi Mignon,
    All I implied is that I think one should use a “well-known brand” of gin, a “genuine distilled gin”, such as Seagrams, Beefeater, Bombay, Tanqueray, or other reputable brand, instead of using an “off brand” like a generic drug store brand. The reason is that distilled gin has Juniper berries (which have been used medicinally for centuries) as an ingredient in the distilling process and is inherently part of its flavor and what makes it “gin”, instead of vodka, which is also a ‘neutral grain alcohol’ product.
    Theoretically, it is the inherent medicinal qualities of Juniper that somehow contributes to the formula when added to the golden raisins, which have been bleached golden with sulfur dioxide or something. Apparently this combination of ingredients creates the compound in the gin-soaked raisins that is effective in reducing the arthritic inflammation condition for people using the gin-soaked raisins. They don’t work for everyone, though. What I was implying was that an “off brand” of gin might be ‘faked’ gin with simple grain alcohol and artificial Juniper flavoring added instead of real Juniper berries in the distillation.
    PK

6. Mignon

OK, here we go again. This comment is to “P.K.”: since you have the recipe and know which gin works, why in the world do you not state the brand name???? Thank you.

7. PK

No. No cranberries. The processing ingredient that turns golden raisins golden and the medical properties of juniper berries is what make it work and why it works. You will like these raisins !

8. D. A.

How much raisins and gin do I soak? I suffer from arthritis, I’m fifty-five and would like to give it a try instead of taking 8 Alleves daily, which my doctor recommends.
    Thank you.
    d.a.

9. PK

The recipe is simple. Pour a bag (or less) of Golden Raisins into a shallow wide GLASS bowl (like a large low pudding bowl, for instance). I have also used a low wide glass jar (artichoke hearts jar, for example), because of the lid. Pour enough gin into the bowl to just cover the raisins. I use a better quality, well-known brand of gin to insure that it is really distilled gin and not grain alcohol with juniper berry flavoring. Let the bowl and concoction sit out (somewhere it won’t be disturbed or get contaminated), uncovered, for enough days to allow ALL of the gin to evaporate (5-6 days, maybe more). When all the gin has evaporated, your gin-soaked raisins are ready. Spoon out 9 raisins and eat them. Repeat daily. After the batch is done, I put a lid on my stash and keep it in the fridge.

10. Fonnie H.

Wow !!!!!!!! I had heard about raisins soaked in gin a long time ago. I was wondering if any other kind of alcohol would work??? I am not a drinker, except for toasting for the large holiday meals. I really do not like the taste of any alcohol, and was thinking that maybe vodka would hide the taste of the gin. Do you keep them in a covered container in the fridge????? Does it matter what time of day that you take them?? I’ll try anything. Any advice is more than welcome.
    god bless, Fonnie H.

11. L.S.

I don’t like raisins. May I substitute dried cranberries?

12. Glenn

I don’t know if ANYONE (other than me) THOUGHT this had to be an idea that raisin & gin companies made up to sell their products. I started out to with the cheapest raisins & gin that I could find, and I did it to prove you WRONG. It cost me a grand total of $6.24 and the first batch lasted 129 days or $0.048 per day. At $.05/day it only took $.60 to prove you RIGHT. I had taken everything from Advil to Vicodin & Celebrex to Nuerontin for chronic shoulder and back AGONY, not pain. After 12 days I woke up & something was VERY DIFFERENT, NO AGONY, slight pain but easy to manage. Granted, I took 9 raisins in the morning & 9 at night, because I didn’t think it would work, but IT WORKS.
    I now only take 9 raisins a day, and after 6 1/2 months I AM PAIN FREE. And I am still on only my 2nd batch. So lets see, 6 months worth of Vicodin ($1873.00) & still suffered pain or 6 months of gin soaked raisins ($12.48) & NO PAIN. Yeah, I think I made the right choice. So, instead of writing you, to tell you “You are WRONG”, I’m writing to say “I was WRONG” this REALLY WORKS.

13. E.D.

I, too, have used the gin soaked raisins several times and each time they worked but only for about 3 – 4 months and then didn’t help. Can you think of a reason for this?
    This is a great way to get relief and it is also tasty.

14. Kathy M.

Does it matter if it is gin made from grains or the other made with something berries? Does the alcohol evaporate?