1. Elizabeth R.

I have taken various statin drugs and all gave me the gamut of undesirable side effects (sudden onset transient Global Amnesia while having a stress test in my doctors office And sent by ambulance to the hospital, muscle problems, Sudden onset of problems such as Shortness of Breath ( SOB) accompanied by Generalized weakness going problem. Plus GERD… my life sentence from these drugs, according to a pharmacist who, along with another one from a different pharmacy, because they are “notorious” for causing the problem by softening the ring that joins the stomach and the esophagus allowing regurgitation of fluid contents etc. to spurt up into the esophagus causing choking, coughing, pain, that can mimic angina making you think you are having a heart attack! I had several trips to emerg to be evaluated for MI.
    After years of one side effect after another, I refused to take these drugs and during this time not one doctor clued in, advising me it was my drugs that were causing my problems but they were all eager to switch to another statin! I am now writing a book. After never being listened to by doctors I finally found one, a cardiologist, that agrees these drugs are not good for me. Interestingly, while many say they can tolerate them, there is increasing evidence to indicate that, while they do reduce LDL, the so called bad cholesterol, which is apparently a misnomer, according to Stephanie Seneff, a researcher at MIT who has authored over 150 articles herself and co-authored another 450 articles which clearly identify statin drugs to be dangerous, toxic and resulting in long term consequences for those taking these drugs, and include such developing medical conditions such as: heart Failue, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and many others.
    Her article, ” Why Statin Drugs Work Is Why They Really Don’t Work” is very clearly informative and I would recommend this article and her other scientific based articles to all taking the drugs, all who no longer take the drugs, all professionals who prescribe these drugs and all those who know people taking these drugs or are considering taking these drugs.

2. Bill

After my heart surgery, I went on Zocor to control my cholesterol eventually uncovering a lowered libido, so my doctor switched me to Lipitor. In addition to a lowered libido, I felt weak, slight loss of memory, no ambition and had balance issues.
    Upon reading an article in the LA Times regarding Niacin, I decided to go off Lipitor for at least 30 days. After about 3 weeks I felt much stronger, my libido has come back and after a workout at the gym, I have never felt better.
    That very week, I called my doctor to inform him of my decision. At that time he said a statin drug was needed and recommended Crestor, stating it had fewer side affects.
    After reading feedback posted here, it gives me pause, where I will be submitting a list of questions to the doctor requesting more information and checking to see if diet alone can effect the situation.

3. milt

Crestor is on the DO NOT USE list OF the “Good Pills Bad Pills Letter” published by Public Citizen
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: A BLANKET PROHIBITION OF THIS DRUG IS PROBABLY TOO EXTREME. IT MAKES SENSE, THOUGH, NOT TO TAKE IT WITHOUT A GOOD REASON AND A THOROUGH DISCUSSION OF RISKS AS WELL AS POTENTIAL BENEFITS.

4. TJC

In terms of LDL reduction Crestor was very successful – driving my LDL down to 1.69 mmol/L [less than 70 mg/L]. However, after 6 months on Crestor 10mg, I started to have problems of breathlessness and light headedness on exertion during aerobic exercise [early warning signals of cardiomyopathy potentially leading to congestive heart failure] and my capability for aerobic exercise consequently declined despite major increases in my Co Q10 supplement [30mg up to 200mg per day].
    I therefore stopped Crestor, intending the cessation to be for an experimental period of 3 months, and within a week had fully regained my previous aerobic exercise function. I have submitted all the facts and evidence associated with this adverse event to the FDA and can supply copies if required to People’s Pharmacy. I will in future be relying solely on a near Esselstyn/semi-vegan diet to control my cholesterol.

5. LDB

My husband takes Crestor and lisinopril. He is a type-one diabetic under good control, is 62 yrs old and in generally good health. He recently began complaining of feeling as if his memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Could the Crestor or lisinopril be causing this?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: STATINS SUCH AS CRESTOR HAVE BEEN LINKED TO MEMORY PROBLEMS IN SOME PEOPLE.

6. S.A.G.

Crestor really works for me. I had mildly high cholesterol – 230 total, 43 HDL, 136 LDL and triglycerides 260. Then I had a heart attack and was put on Crestor. Cholesterol is now 119, HDL 64, LDL 43 and triglycerides 75. Of course I’ve had a dramatic change in diet and exercise, but the results speak for themselves. Liver enzymes are all normal and I feel great. This was a great choice for me.