honey dipper in a jar of honey

Q. I have been using honey as an ointment to prevent and treat skin infections for years. Not only does it work for cuts and scrapes, but it also works on herpes cold sores, cutting down on the length and severity of the outbreak. It’s truly a miracle cure! As far as I can tell, any kind of honey is effective. It’s great stuff, and it tastes good, too.

A. Your use of honey sounds like an old-fashioned remedy for hard-to-heal wounds. Before antibiotics, doctors and nurses applied sugar to wounds. Dr. Richard Knutson, an orthopedic surgeon in Greenville, MS, has had good experience using sugar on wounds. We have also heard from Dr. Ron Caless, a plastic surgeon in Columbia, SC, that medical grade honey speeds wound healing, provided the wound is clean and not infected. Keep in mind that a serious wound requires medical attention.

1. Nicole

Can I put honey on my bites and put saran wrap on them over night?

2. Angel Rodriguez
    long island new york

I’m going to try that it sounds like it works

• Laura
      The Big Orange

So, I’ve been using honey on my skin for decades and it truly works!

But this week, for the first time, I started applying it to some scars that just aren’t going away like they used to.
      Really hope it works coz the Mederma didn’t.

I’ve never used it in my hair but after reading the comments, i’ll be trying that this evening.

I’ve only recently heard about Manuka honey & will try that next to see how it works.

Even though this is an old thread, I’ll post an update if there’s any noticeable difference – maybe someone will see & find it helpful.

• Laura

BTW: I’ve only ever used raw unfiltered honey.

3. Traci
    California

I’ve been using honey for years on burns (curling iron and such) and cuts. It’s amazing! Heals very fast and leaves minimal or NO scarring for me. Which is crazy because I bruise/scar easily.

• Mia
      Ca

Hi. When using honey on curling iron burns, did you keep it covered with gauze. I had a 2nd degree burn that happened after my curling iron fell on me. I read about honey and started using it. When changing the gauze, I noticed it has not fired out. Should I leave it uncovered? Also about how many days did your take to heal using honey?

4. Cynthia R.

I would have never guessed that honey could be used to treat wounds. I have heard that clover honey has some anti-microbial properties but this is amazing. I guess it is kind of like natures disinfectant in a way.
    Cynthia

• Karen

When you think about it, though, how else does honey stored by the bees is not spoiled? That their hives aren’t susceptible to fungi or bacteria? It makes total sense.

5. BD

Have staph infection. Can I leave honey on sores all day uncovered?

6. D O

About 8 years ago, I had a diabetic sore on the bottom of my foot. Didn’t heal for 17 months. It hurt but never infected. Applied honey, on suggestion from a veterinarian, from kitchen supply & covered with bandage. Within a couple of days the soreness was going away & within a couple of weeks the sore was healed with no trace. A few years later, got another sore on foot – infected. Used honey again. Within a week the infection & swelling gone. Found it also stops yeast infections on the skin.