ginger root

Vertigo is an extremely disruptive sensation. Having the world seem to spin around you makes it difficult to walk without fear of falling. On the other hand, sometimes doctors are challenged to figure out how to treat vertigo. What works?

Non-Drug Approach to Treat Vertigo:

Q. I had vertigo for 17 months, a very severe case. The doctor put me through tests, including an MRI, a test that put me in a black cabinet and spun me around while I answered questions and one that squirted water into my ear.

Then a friend suggested ginger capsules. I took the recommended two capsules four times a day.   The vertigo was nearly gone, but it gave me a terrible stomachache. I couldn’t eat or even sit up.

I now take one capsule a couple of times a day. The stomach pain is mostly gone, and so is the vertigo. I can walk up and down stairs without holding onto something and I can turn around to see something behind me without my head spinning.

Will I need to take the ginger the rest of my life, or will the vertigo stop eventually? In other words, is this a cure or just treating the symptoms?

Ginger as a Way to Treat Vertigo:

A. Chinese sailors have used ginger for centuries to ease or prevent symptoms of motion sickness, so we’re not surprised it might help treat vertigo. In high doses, ginger might cause heartburn or other digestive distress.

We cannot speculate about whether ginger will cure your vertigo completely or just relieve the symptoms. There are relatively few studies of ginger for vertigo, although a tiny trial in 1986 indicated that ginger could be significantly better than placebo (Grøntved & Hentzer, ORL: Journal for Oto-Rhino-Laryngology and its Related Specialities). At some point, you and your physician should evaluate your progress to see whether you can discontinue the ginger.

Learn More:

We discussed how to treat vertigo with Dr. David Kaylie of Duke University Medical School in our Show 992: Overcoming Vertigo. It is worth a listen.

1. Libba B
    Hilton Head Island, SC

Hi Graedens, so happy to catch up with you after all these years of singing your praise.

2. Kat

I’ve had bouts of vertigo since I was 15 y.o. Used to think it was caused by sinus infection, but nothing helped medication-wise. All I could do was stay in bed until the worst of it had passed (1 to 5 days). Never got sick with it; just dizzy. I’m now 68 and still have vertigo that comes on with no notice. If I did the Epley procedure regularly, it would probably help me as it does help at the time, although it is very disorienting to do when I actually have vertigo (have had other medical issues ruled out in the past few years by ENT). I use ginger for upset stomach, but will definitely give the capsules a try for vertigo. Already take 250 mg magnesium and vit D daily. I have a friend who’s had chronic vertigo for the past year or so and will definitely recommend the ginger capsules to her.

3. Bob
    South Carolina

Got an attack of vertigo about 9 months ago. Then it went away but continues to come back every once in a while. Been to several doctors, and they don’t seemed to be concerned about it. My concern is that it has continued off and on for many months now and for no apparent reason. Some days moving my head into positions (downward/sideways) seems to bring on a mini-vertigo attack while other days doing the same thing does not cause an incident.

I drink two cups of coffee every day so not sure if caffeine is the issue or not. Will try the ginger to see how effective this is. Someone mentioned “potatoes.” Never heard of this as being a cause. My problem with the Epley procedure is not knowing which side to turn my head. I keep wondering if doing the wrong side will worsen the vertigo. Doctors haven’t been able to advise me on this.

4. Sara
    Michigan

Please look up epley maneuvers. Do twice a day. Eliminate caffeine. Ask your doctor for a referral to a physical therapist who specializes in vertigo. Many say ginkgo biloba and ginger are also helpful.

5. befe
    Lagos Nigeria

it all started with dizziness and vomiting. but now no more vomiting but it will come as if the chair I sat on is falling. it happen without given notice. I always fall if standing. I have also once fall from chair, after the fall the whole environment will be moving. the whole problem does not exceed five second. later I will feel hotness at the center of my head throughout the day as if one have ache.

6. Bobby
    Harrow

My wife suffers from vertigo and i make her fresh ginger juice in the morning and it helps her immensely. What you do is get fresh ginger grate about 1 inch piece in a glass then pour water in the glass put the glass in the microwave for about a minute, then strain the juice with a strainer into another glass add a tea spoon of honey and drink it should help you.

• Bobby
      Harrow

Hi doctors normally prescribe Stemetil 5mg tablets. Stemetil are used for treating balance problems ( vertigo ) also stops you feeling sick (nausea) or being sick (vomiting).
      Try changing you diet, potatoes are not very good for vertigo. Best to make fresh water made from fresh ginger and add turmeric powder in it have warm every day that will help a lot. There exercise on youtube that really good please have a look and do them.
      Bobby

7. Tillz
    Nigeria

Just had my first episode of vertigo about 7days ago, vomited on the first day only but my right ear have been noisy and my environment have been spinning. I don’t know what to do. I’ve been to many clinics and taken some antibiotics all to no avail, I’ve only succeeded in reducing the spinning of my environment. I need help please…..

• Ccc
      Kent UK

Hi, Did you manage to cure your vertigo?

• Gary

After eating a bag of salted chips while on a long drive and getting vertigo the next day, I got the connection causing my vertigo after Mayo Clinic told my mother to cut down on her excessive salt usage to stop her vertigo. TOO much Salt. I now do not add salt to anything (except watermelon :<) ). My episodes of vertigo have 99% stopped. The food industry adds way too much salt to our foods. A very easy/simple fix. Hope it works for you.

• Geraldine
      NJ

try the exercises. Google excecises to relieve vertigo. some I can’t do , like one you get down like you are going to do a forward roll. I can’t do that.