Jar of Vicks VapoRub

Q. Have you ever heard of anyone being allergic to Vicks VapoRub? A few days ago I had some congestion, and instead of taking a decongestant I decided to try rubbing a small amount of Vicks on my chest before going to bed.  The next morning the area where I had rubbed the Vicks was red and warm to the touch and very itchy. Over the next two days, it went from itching to burning and the area showed little bumps.

A. We wouldn’t be at all surprised that you could be allergic to ingredients in Vicks. People can be allergic to almost anything, from prescription drugs to herbs. From now on, we suggest you stay away from Vicks VapoRub and its ingredients (camphor, eucalyptus oil, menthol, cedarleaf oil, nutmeg oil, thymol and turpentine oil).

1. Anne
    Liverpool

I also used a small amount of Vicks on my chest as I had a rather bad cold. When I woke in the morning my chest, upper arms, back and stomach were very red blotchy and sore. I doubt I’ll ever use this product again.

2. Sharmila
    India

I had severy headache and applied Vicks on my forehead my whole forehead turned fully wrinkled dark itchy and it’s 3 days now wrinkles are just not going never had a single wrinkle

3. David Velazquez
    California

I had a chest cold, my wife rubbed Vicks on my chest while I was asleep. I woke to extreme itching, super red skin, felt like needles poking me all over. I tried to shower it only got worse. Now 2days later I’m still itching but not as red. It’s horrible, I must be allergic to this. Never use Vicks on chest. I will never use again.

4. Betty
    Kentucky

I used Vicks Vapo rub on my shoulder arm joint and back of my neck about two inches from my spine because of soreness. Every area that I used it I broke out in hard bumps which became very painful pricky, and itchy. I used it as a child, very little on the front of my neck, but this time I used it heavily, and I was a mess. The lymph node on the left side of my neck became swollen and sore. This was seven days ago. It’s a little better now, and hopefully, this week will take care of it.

• Cheryl Ann
      Houma, La .

I have always used Vicks for chest congestion and stuffy nose since a child
      Two nights ago I used it on my chest and neck. It burned after I applied it. Next morning woke up feeling heavy-headed and not good, chest and neck itching and red and hot to the touch. I can’t believe after all these years I have become allergic to this great product.

I am very sad 😩 I am 70 years old . It’s like loosing a nice friend.

5. Eunice
    Moscow

I normally used vapour rub for my nose before I sleep to help me breathe, but I then started using it on my lips a week ago, my lower lip was badly swollen that I have to be admitted in hospital ward for a night. But then since I was using the hormonal patche, I quickly concluded that I was reacting to it and removed it. Hello continued using vapour rub, even if my lower lip got better , my upper lip start to swell up after 4days.

6. Peggy Knecht
    Easton, PA.

I get anaphylactic from Vicks VapoRub. The ingredient that I am allergic to is the Camphor oil. I know this because, I am also severely allergic to chapstick. The ingredient that they both share is camphor oil. With chapstick, my lips swell up, get very itchy, and get very red.

7. sahira
    islamabad

I heard that we can use it on belly with plastic sheet to loose belly fat i did the same only once and now it itches alot burning sensation and needle feeling at the area…

8. Yeltsin
    Philippines

I used the vicks inhaler and sad to say the symptoms were like yours… For a few minutes a small to large variety of reddish/bumpy rashes and it was sooo itchy that my whole body covered with island like bumps and it was sooo red. I tried to do a confirmation if it was the causative agent of my allergy. Again i tried to inhale a little bit of it and my assumption was correct. So i needed to refrain using it

9. Sylvia
    South Africa

I have been using Vicksburg vapour rub on my feet. Now it appears I have a rash and itchy toes. Help

10. Siggy
    Texas

I have been allergic to Vicks for a while. Remember my dad loved it and actually took a spoon of it when he had a cold….Do put a little on my dogs tails because fleas/ticks hate it and it is a natural repellant!

11. RuralARMom

my son has sensitive skin and often breaks out – moisturizers, vicks, axe body spray. Luckily, it doesn’t seem to bother him very much, he just gets little bitty bumps. I make sure he gets extra-gentle sensitive skin shower gel and use unscented dryer sheets and hypoallergenic laundry detergent like dreft. And vicks never goes on his skin – I put some vapo steam in a warm air humidifier when his seasonal allergies act up if he is extra congested, but usually just the extra moisture seems to help him breath easier.

12. Bea
    New York

I have a cold. I applied Vick Vaporub to my chest and under my nose area. Went to sleep. I woke up I was sweating on chest area. I went back to sleep and woke up again coughing phlegm and mucus. Lots of it. I was afraid. I thought I could not breathe. I then thought maybe it is doing it job so to speak. Please explain.

13. Mayra C.

I only rubbed the vaporub on her chest of my daughter and throat, then an hour later I saw her throat and chest were red and also had bumps. She was asleep and woke up saying she didn’t feel good, she was itchy so I checked the rest of her body. She had bumps on her back, stomach, the worst bumps the biggest were by her pelvis area a couple on her legs. I took her out the blankets, and the redness from her chest went away so I layed her down. And only covered her from her belly button down, and checked later and that was still bad. So I decided to just completely take the blankets off, and it all went down. I think they vaporub and the heat made the reaction, it went away on its own within an hour.

14. Mary
    Montreal

The same thing happened to me…..I used vicks vaporub and now my neck and chest are red, itchy and i even have small pimples …. how do i get rid of all of it? please help!

15. john
    Alabama

Same symptons, I itched all night after using it, got no sleep, never itched like this in my life. I used Vicks vapor rub as a child, so I though it would be fine…Never again.

• Cat
      American

How did u get rid of it . I suffer from the same problem ?
      Ca