Q. When we were children, our mother made us a cough syrup by slicing an onion and covering the slices with sugar. The sugar sucks the juice out of the onion and makes a clear syrup.
I have had a raw cough and my lungs hurt from congestion. I used a tablespoon of the syrup and it stopped the coughing. I used more as needed, and today my cough and lungs are much better.
Onions are a super-food. The taste of this syrup is like caramelized onions, almost pleasant.
A. This seems to be quite a traditional recipe. A friend told us that her Hungarian grandmother made this syrup for her several decades ago.
Much longer ago, in the mid-18th century, American settlers used the juice of roasted onion to treat children with croupy cough. One advantage of roasted onion juice is that, like many pioneer home remedies, onions were almost always available.
Onion and honey (sometimes used instead of sugar to make onion syrup) are active against some microbes, including Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, Klebsiella, Pseudomonas and Candida (West Indian Medical Journal, Sept., 2003). These are pathogens commonly found in the throat or pharynx and often associated with sore throats or infections that cause cough.
Another favorite remedy for cough, thyme, might be added to your sliced onion as you are creating the syrup. Ingredients in thyme such as thymol have been shown to be helpful in calming coughs. If you would like to learn more about home remedies for a cough, you may be interested in our Guide to Colds, Coughs and the Flu.

1. BeenaBee
    Frankfort, Ky

I am convinced that this works based on an older person telling about onion tea and honey years ago in my twentys.

I want to know if I make this syrup of onions and sugar where do I store it and for how long?

2. lovenature

People do not realize how much cure are in certain foods, I would and only do natural home made remedies for myself and my family. Many man made medicines will harm you not help you, with side affects worse than what you started out with!! If most people only knew that the cure is in their kitchen cupboard. Onions and garlic are amazing antibiotic without the side affects, gods cure for mankind. Believe in it and see the results.

3. AM

My grandmother (who would have been 99 at the end of the month) used to make this for us as a child. I remember onion and sugar but thought there was something else in it. Nope, that’s it! I just made it for my 5yr old son who was never sick before starting school and now got a bad cough. It still works like a charm. I switched it up a bit and add raw local honey and it seems like that works just as well.

4. MAGDALINE CHITTUR

You have stated above that ” When we were children, our mother made us a cough syrup by slicing an onion and covering the slices with sugar. The sugar sucks the juice out of the onion and makes a clear syrup.” Could you please inform per return of mail whether the slices of onion should be raw onion. please suggest.

5. Sharlene B

My mom who would now be 106,! Before she passed at 95 ,she gave me the onion recipe said it’s what her mother always used on them as children my grandmother would be 132 years of age so recipe goes back always!
    There was a recipe my mother couldn’t remember it all there was sulfur and honey maybe castor oil? (They used a lot of that then ) but not sure you took in spring and it cured acne ? I’d be interested if anyone knows that one.

6. Sally

When my kids were babies and got croup I made onion syrup on the stove, cut a few onions in half and cover with water bring to a boil, then simmer real low & slow with enough water just to cover (a couple of hours) sweeten with a little sugar or honey (depending on childs age).
    Nothing worked better, croup gone in a day or so.

7. Teresa68

I am on Day 5 on having a cough and it is driving me crazy. I am sure it is others also. I mentioned this to someone at work today and was told about cutting an onion in half placing sugar over it and leaving it in the bedroom overnite.
    Will be trying this when I get home from work. Upon looking up this on the web (as I hadn’t heard of it before) I could I could also make a syrup so will be giving this a go also.
    If I don’t find something soon it will be off to the doctors :-(
    From now on I think I will be looking around the net or asking friends and work collegues and giving things a go as its usually A LOT cheaper than a doctors visit and / or medication.
    Thank you to all who post these remedies and also to all who respond with comments / suggestions :-)

8. plm

I love the Onion recipe for coughs. I just couldn’t find the “STARS” to click on.

9. kjm

Wonderful, hope someday to have the nerve to eat a sandwich of onion and garlic with honey and mustard; but I’d probably ruin it because I put mayonnaise on everything.

10. H.E.

When I was young I always eat onion and mustard sandwiches on home made bread cause we did not have store bought bread. I also ate sugar sandwiches.

11. CJ

Sounds very interesting. Our son has an ongoing cough and we will try this before going to the doctor’s office (where we will probably pick up some germs). How do you prepare the syrup (the recipe!)?

12. mhp

My mother also prepared “onion syrup” when I was a child in the 40s & 50s, but she used honey instead of sugar.
    On my first trip to India in 1986 I accompanied a local doctor to villages where she was teaching assistants to distinguish minor ailments that could be treated with local remedies from major problems that needed professional care in the nearest large village. One of the remedies used for minor coughs was an onion syrup sweetened with natural sugar processed from the local sugarcane fields.

13. JEG

If I ever have a really sore throat, I also chew a piece of fresh garlic…..it actually hurts at first, but then there is great relief from the soreness and it doesn’t develop into a full blown cold. Sure onions would be good too…….and I agree with foodie, that my gourmet meal could just be a nice crusty roll. Cheese and fresh sliced onion. delicious.

14. JCT

This reminded me that my mother used to make an onion “syrup” when we were young, I don’t remember if she used sugar or honey, but remember that it was pretty good tasting! Thanks for the memory.
    Does anyone have a “recipe”?

15. Same

My husband has suffered for many years with post-nasal drip, sore throat and the cough that results. He’s been seen by two eye, ear, and throat doctors, and had surgery on his sinuses. The problem still exists, even though the surgeon said that his sinuses are now clear. Just this morning we have tried the onion and sugar, or honey, recipe and hope that this might make a difference.

16. Judith Green Roberts

In the 1940’s when I was 5-6 years old, my grandmother gave me hot onion tasting tea. My cold was making me miserable and this sweet onion drink was a magical cure. We never went to doctors in those days but my babies in the 1960’s had medical doctor care and pharmaceutical prescriptions (often causing side effects). Our “advanced” society of health care ignored the tried and true. Thanks to Peoples Pharmacy for this venue to learn and become better informed.

17. rrd

i have heard that raw onion reduces ldl cholesterol and raises hdl cholesterol. HTML have you noticed your cholesterol numbers to align with this thought? i would love to hear back from you about this.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: Onion might not be the only “spice” that can have an effect on cholesterol: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23364205

18. cpmt

A few years ago I had bronchitis (had asthma) while I was traveling. A cousin of mine told me to cut an onion in half and place it near my head night stand. I stop coughing almost immediately and was able to sleep all night until I was able to go to a doctor and get medicine. In an emergency, it works. You must open the windows the next day… the whole room smelled onion. I believe that the fumes from the onion, helped to opened the passage and I was able to breathe better.

19. rab

The onion remedy has really proven itself this winter. I had a bad cough so I laid a ‘leaf’ of onion on my tongue until it became soft, then I chewed it up and ate it. My cough was gone in 24 hours! My niece was going to have surgery, she developed a cold and cough. I had shared with her (as I do my remedies with all my friends and family) my experience and the onion theory. The Dr. told her they may have to postpone her surgery if the cough persists. She called me long distance to thank me. She tried it and the cough subsided, she was able to continue with her surgery. I love onion sandwiches, my take is to add sliced tomato – ummmm good.

20. kjm

In the 1930’s Depression, we couldn’t afford a doctor. When my sister got croup my mother boiled onions in a little water with a dash of sugar until they became a syrup. One or two tsps of this would control most any cough. Wish I’d remembered that earlier but will try it now. Thanks for the reminder. KJM

21. LEHE

Onions seem to be good for just about everything.
    I’m from a family who came from Alabama and we never sat down to supper without having a raw onion on the table, which we assumed was as common as having bread and butter.
    Now, at age 66, I crave raw onions, especially when I’m feeling stressed or am getting sick. An onion sandwich is my idea of heaven, and I’ve eaten at some of the best restaurants in the U.S. and in Europe, too.
    Does anyone have any idea as to why this might be? Why the love of raw onions?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE:
    You aren’t the only one who loves onions (and onion sandwiches). They are comfort food for Joe too. No idea why, but there is something about an onion sandwich. One modification…a little aged cheddar cheese with the onion is heaven. Together this combo is a taste treat…though we suspect that most folks wouldn’t find the flavor as delectable as we do.