a glass of tonic water with a slice of lemon

The Food and Drug Administration has banned the use of quinine to treat leg cramps. Although this drug has been available for centuries, the FDA has determined that it is far too dangerous to use for anything but malaria.

Quinine Dangers

The trouble is that some people are extremely sensitive to quinine’s toxic effects. This drug can cause headache, rash, ringing in the ears, nausea, dizziness and blurred vision.

The most serious reactions are rare but can be life threatening. Blood disorders can lead to hemorrhaging. Dozens of hospitalizations and two deaths are linked to quinine.

What about Tonic Water?

Clearly, quinine can be dangerous for certain people, but the FDA has not banned quinine from tonic water. Quinine gives this beverage its distinctive flavor. Either the FDA doesn’t consider tonic water a danger to public health or the agency worries about arousing the ire of millions of gin and tonic drinkers.

Because of this loophole, many people have discovered that drinking tonic water can help prevent muscle cramps. One reader related her experience:

“I suffered with nightly leg cramps until one magic day on the Greek island Santorini. I had gone on tour as a guest singer of the New York Choral Society. One free afternoon, a group of us went to a black sand beach where I swam. The only other member of the group who also swam was a New York trauma surgeon. I developed a cramp and was trying to walk it out when he told me about Schweppes tonic, which contains a very small amount of quinine.

“I couldn’t find any tonic on Santorini or in Athens, but as soon as I returned home I started drinking a large glass (diet, with cranberry) every night. It has worked for me for several years, but I definitely know if I skip a dose!

“I asked a pharmacist friend to search the literature to see if anything else contains a small amount of quinine. She couldn’t find anything and told me the dangers of using high-dose quinine. I have checked with my doctors and have heard nothing against my practice of drinking Schweppes.”

Tonic contains 83 mg. of quinine in a liter. An eight-ounce glass or tonic would only have about 20 mg of quinine, considerably less than the dose that used to be prescribed for leg cramps (200 to 300 mg).

Tonic Water Works for Muscle Cramps

Despite the low dose, however, many readers maintain that it works:

“My doctor recommended tonic water for nocturnal leg cramps. It works every time very quickly. In less than five minutes I get relief and can go back to sleep. I suffer NO pains if I drink half a glass before I go to bed.”

Even Tonic Water Has Some Hazards

Some people find even the small amount of quinine in tonic water can pose problems. These folks may experience ringing in the ears, rash, itching or blurred vision and should steer clear of tonic water altogether.

There are those who are so sensitive that even a little bit of quinine could prove life threatening.

“Quinine in tonic water proved almost fatal for me. Nighttime leg cramps have been an ongoing problem, so I bought a bottle of tonic water.

“On Saturday I had a 5-ounce glass before supper. Sunday morning by 9 am I was in the emergency room with a frightening skin reaction. I was hospitalized for many days and diagnosed with a dangerous blood disorder called idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP). My hematologist said it was triggered by the quinine water.”

We have also heard from people who developed tinnitus after drinking tonic:

“I have just developed a hissing sound in my ears. The onset was very rapid! The doctor diagnosed it as tinnitus, but would give me no reason for the problem. He said there wasn’t anything I could do. I’ve noticed some days it is less disturbing than others but some nights it awakens me because it has become so loud.

“I was drinking large quantities of tonic water, which contains quinine, when this started. Do you have any suggestions to help me?”

The quinine in tonic is the likely culprit. Ringing or hissing in the ears can be a complication of quinine. Tonic water should be discontinued completely.

For such people, home remedies may be the best way to get relief from nocturnal leg cramps. Our Guide to Leg Pain has instructions on stretching as well as a range of remedies.

1. Kim
    US

I have had severe cramps for years. I used to take prescription Quinine until the FDA changed it’s uses.
    After finally giving in and going to the doctor last week she ran a lot of tests. She told me to drink 2 glasses of tonic water with added lime slices everyday. I’m happy to report I’ve been cramp free since that day! And I really like the taste of my concoction.
    I have also been taking magnesium oxide for years to help relax the tight muscles.

2. Keith
    Fo Ryan Lauderdale, FL

My wife gets up at nights rubbing her calves and screaming for pain. We tried 8ozs can of quinine water and pain went away.

• Salome
      Australia

I was suffering from Rsl for over 6 years,at night it’s the worst,during the day and even going to the movies it was shocking .I am 66yrs old. I was on Sifrol pills for so long,and took 2 pills 2 hrs before bed mmmmm .But last weekend I started looking on the Webb and came across someone that’s using the tonic ,now 6 days ago I am off my pills and drinking a 3/4 glass of Schweppes Diet Indian Tonic just before I sleep….what a find ,what a gem….I sleep like a baby,no more restless legs at night nor during the day…..I even had pain down my leg in front ,that’s gone too….my hubby is happy ,I am happy and a HUGE thanks to Schweppes for putting some Quinine in the tonic…..if you know of anyone that has RSL tell them to give it a go …..loving my legs now.

Sent from my iPad

3. Geoff L
    St. Louis

If you live in England or anywhere else they sell Schweppes, try the Bitter Lemon. I love that stuff, especially in the summer. Unfortunately, after drinking it for 20+ years I developed an allergy to quinine, so I can’t drink it anymore. If you live in North America try the Canada Dry Bitter Lemon.

4. Mike
    NJ

I stumbled upon my remedy for lower back pain. I got half way through a glass of gin & tonic and immediately felt better.
    I had assumed it was the gin.
    I tried other alcoholic drinks with no benefit.
    Then during a conversion with a strange they informed me it was the quinine, not the gin.
    Absolutely true.
    I have not seen any comments about tonic water relieving back pain, but if you suffer, try it.
    Magic for me.

5. John

About three hours ago I drank about a full glass of tonic water,* which contain quinine… not knowing what quinine was, I googled it. Now that I am aware of its’ side affect, I will be more careful on how I consume it: how much and at what time. As of now I have not experience any side affects. *My Dr. recommended it.

6. kimann
    ri

Dr told me that this may help with calf pain spasms. I can’t believe how much it has. I only drink 6 oz @ night time. No don’t add booze! The only thing with me I got the lime one which has has high fructose. It only has been a few days but it’s been such a relief to be able to stretch & turn while sleeping instead of painful muscle spasms so bad I can see my calf muscle hard as a rock & looks like it want’s to burst out of my leg.

7. Greg

If they know its the quinine in the water producing the reaction, then it’s not idiopathic.

8. louise
    hartland mi

Try 2 teaspoons of yellow mustard, excellent for leg cramps

9. Barbara
    Southern orange county

I have had unbearable leg cramps since I was 10 and RLS for the last four years. I take calcium, magnesium, potassium but yet no relief. I have been asking my Doctors at Kaiser and my current health care provider. Absolutely no one cares. I go for days and nights with no sleep. Today its three days with no sleep. No one understands and never has. I sympathize with every one that suffers with this hell. I have tried everything and after reading these comments I will try the tonic water which I absolutely love. Mix it with cranberry juice…its delish. If it works, its very worth it.

10. Adam
    Alabama

I told my dr about my restless leg. My doctor suggested a product from the local pharmacy that was marketed for that that the active ingredient was Quinine.

I tried one dose and my neck started swelling up and my joints started hurting. I was on the job site so they dosed me with Benadryl and took me to the ER. Was told that I was allergic to it.

11. Duane
    Austin

I was at my eye doctor last week for my annual check up and mentioned that I was experiencing a slight “fluttering” in both my eyelids. She said that quinine water might help reduce the fluttering. I bought a bottle on the way home and had a glass that night. The flutter seemed to leave BUT I noticed that my tinnitus was elevated. This morning I decided to resaerch quinine and have discovered that tinnitus is one of the side effects of quinine water. My tinnitus had been a low level (easily ignored) but is now VERY present. I hope that it will return to its low, tollerable low level soon. I wish I had not tried the quinine treatment for my eye flutter.

12. Larry
    United States

Any information about restless legs would be appreciated

13. rose
    Campbellton, New Brunswick

this is my first time drinking this tonic water, not too bad tasting, but only one glass, I do not have the leg cramps, mine is more like a crawling feeling, hate it so bad, feeling fed up! Also can’t sleep with this problem, living on 3 hrs a night

• Trudy
      AZ

That sounds more like Restless Leg Syndrome – entirely different. Google that because there are some things that might help. Good Luck!

14. Paul
    St Petersburg , Fla

I had trouble with hip and groin pain, until I stopped drinking Tonic, it seems statins and tonic are a bad combination.

15. J
    Houston

I too get feet and leg cramps. I hate the taste of coconut water but will try Schwepps Tonic water. I will try drinking more water. Another person said I needed more iron.