Q. One of my Mexican friends told me about hibiscus tea. They call it “jamaica,” and I get it loose at a Mexican market. It only costs about $4 a pound, and it doesn’t take much to make a cup of tea. It really brought down my blood pressure, and I love the taste.

A. Tea made from the dried flowers of the plant Hibiscus sabdariffa, known as “jamaica” in Mexico, has been reported to lower blood pressure, cholesterol and dangerous oxidation of LDL (Endocrinologia y Nutricion, online Jan. 17, 2014).

A few very preliminary studies have suggested that Hibiscus sabdariffa extracts may be beneficial in fighting obesity and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (Materia Socio-Medica, 2013; Food & Function, online Feb. 19, 2014). It is probably too much to expect that drinking hibiscus tea could be slimming, but it certainly seems like a healthful choice and a bright, tangy somewhat tart beverage. It is not difficult to find hibiscus tea; Celestial Seasonings offers several blends with hibiscus under the “Zinger” name.

If you are interested in other non-drug approaches to controlling hypertension, you may wish to review our Guide to Blood Pressure Treatment.

1. Nothern Rebel

After a silent Heart attack in March of ’13, I was placed on the standard cluster of PX. After a year of drugs I can say I feel worse than I did before. I have stopped taking the Statin drugs and have a marked reduction in muscle aches. I had to stop Lisinopril because of the coughing it produced and switching to Ramipril seems to have the same effect, not as bad though.
    I have decided to slowly stop all of the drugs and will work with my currant Dr or a new one, but alternative Heart treatments will have to be part of my treatment.

2. jan of raleigh

I like the tea and am hoping it works to lower my cholesterol and blood pressure. I don’t know how much to drink per day. Any suggestions?
    People’s Pharmacy response: The dose is not completely standardized, but one study used 10 grams of dried flowers daily for the tea. This is about a third of an ounce.

3. DJ

I tried hibiscus tea to lower my blood pressure. It worked. However, after about a week I found that it began to have a very strong diuretic effect which became intolerable. The first few days weren’t a problem, but by the end of the week it was a bit too much. The diuretic effect seems to have built up over several days.

4. ps

I am taking lisinopril 20-25 mg which does a good job of keeping my blood pressure at 98/80. What would be the procedure to determine if hibiscus tea would do the same job, quit the medication and go on the tea and check your blood pressure daily? If your pressure goes way up, how long would you give the tea to start working before going back on the medication?
    People’s Pharmacy response: It would probably be safer to overlap with the tea and the lisinopril, gradually reducing the dose of lisinopril after several days of overlap, and watching how the blood pressure reacts.

5. fbl

My Ethiopian neighbors introduced me to hibiscus tea and it does help! I can’t take the BP meds so between the tea and chiropractic manipulation of C7 I’m doing fine with my blood pressure.

6. Kahleen

Hibiscus Tea also helped to lower my blood pressure, after I kicked the coffee habbit (very hard). Then I switched to Saffron Tea which is also helping my psoriasis as well as the Cilantro that I was previously eating without all the preparation.
    Has anyone else had good affects with Saffron Tea?

7. Carol

Anything to help improve our healthful without drugs is a great thing to know about! I have tried Red Zinger and Lemon Zinger and wondered why it made me feel better.. Now I know.