Q. I am having very good results with the gin-soaked raisins but I know several alcoholics who have terrible pain and want to try. Is there an alternative for them?

A. Although there is only one drop of alcohol in the daily dose of nine gin-soaked raisins, alcoholics should not tempt themselves by keeping gin in the house to make the remedy.

We have dozens of alternate solutions in our book, The People’s Pharmacy Quick & Handy Home Remedies, including turmeric, tart cherries, grape juice and plant pectin, boswellia, cayenne and pineapple juice.

Other readers have recommending soaking golden raisins in apple cider vinegar mixed with honey (two parts vinegar, one part honey). This completely sidesteps the problem of keeping gin on hand (and also of overdoing the dose). Whether it works as well has not been determined, but it is certainly worth a try.

1. Jean C

I have been experiencing pain in my hands upon waking. I also have inflamed joints on my pinky fingers. Blood tests do not show arthritis. I decided to try grape juice and pectin. The mixture is too thick and I don’t like the high sugar content of the grape juice. Could I try just taking gelatin capsules with diluted grape juice?

2. RUTH VK

What kind of gin is best for the gin and golden raisins? I want to try this for my arthritis. Many thanks.

3. PJR

Months ago I fixed the golden raisins in the apple cider vinegar (1 cup) mixed with honey (1/2 cup)… after they were thoroughly mixed I added as many raisins that would go into the pint jars (2) along with the liquid, and it was equally divided between the two jars (do not have more raisins than liquid in the jars). Place the lids on… mix each day… after about 1 week the liquid seemed to be absorbed, mostly, by the raisins.
    I now eat 13 – 16 raisins a day and my arthritis in my hands is much better and I can tell a big difference if I stop eating the raisins.
    Good luck and thank you, People’s Pharmacy, for your newsletters and updates.

4. Joan W

What is the amount of gin to soak a box of golden raisins?

5. linda z

I have diabetes.. will the Gin soaked raisins affect my blood sugar?
    I would like to use for fibro and also arthritis if it works for that.

6. LZ

I want to try the gin soaked rasins for fibro But.. I am a diabetic..
    is it safe for this ..sugar content?

7. abigail

Are the cayenne and pineapple juice taken together like the grape juice and plant pectin?

8. Carolyn K.

I started smashing a couple of juniper seeds and putting them into the Healthy Mary that I drink with my lunch salad. I only use the ones sold in the grocery store in the spice section, since I know that some varieties are poisonous.
    I still haven’t completely solved my finger joint pain problem, but I think it helps.