Q. I am 51 and a seven-year breast cancer survivor. I went through chemo and radiation, took tamoxifen until my hysterectomy 2 yrs ago. Since chemo I have had severe vaginal dryness. Sex was painful with burning and irritation for days afterwards.

About a month ago I came across this website. I started using vitamin E and noticed a difference immediately. A couple weeks ago I switched to Organic Coconut Oil from Trader Joes in the morning and night. It’s wonderful. No more dryness!

Intercourse is pleasurable again (coconut oil is not sticky and smells great). There is no swelling, burning or irritation afterwards. Reading all of the comments on your website has been a life saver.

Thank you ladies and thank you Peoples Pharmacy.

A. We are so glad you have experienced good results from the coconut oil. Others report similar benefits from olive oil.

For those who would like more information about this personal problem, we suggest downloading our Guide to Menopause. We have quite a lot of information about olive oil, coconut oil, vitamin E and other lubricants such as Corn Huskers lotion and natural products like aloe vera and Sylk with kiwi-fruit vine extract. In addition, there are many suggestions for easing the symptoms of hot flashes. It can be downloaded for $2 at this link.

1. Shelley
    MD

I have been taking 4 caps Sea Buckthorn Berry Oil daily for last 2 months, this helps to lubricate the tissues from the inside out. It seems to be kicking in now, I am more comfortable now that I have been for last few years. Do the research on this oil high Omega 7, very impressive.

2. JW

I guess it must work. People come asking questions, but never return to say how it worked out. …it must have worked out!
    I only wonder about nature’s way liquid coconut oil. It’s in a bottle that you can straight up spray it all over the place with a good squeeze. May be God’s gift to humanity.

3. Ms. Adriane

I use Vitamin E oil it’s great for the first time in over a year I had no pain sex. I insert the Vitamin E oil with a ear dropper syringe, lay on your back and insert syringe in your Vagina so it will go in comfortable. Worked great for me Good luck ladies.

4. Michele

So I have a question. For those that use coconut oil for yeast infections, how long did it take for the yeast infection to be gone?

5. June

Hi Sarah!! Well done by the way!
    I too am a BMT recipient just January this year. I too am finding my vagina getting more and more dry and raw… I had bacterial vaginosis which I took antibiotics for a week. Those symptoms went away but vagina now red and sore so doctor prescribed anti thrush medications. Still no real improvements…in fact getting more and more sore each day.
    I have tried oestrogen cream applied internally and externally but that is not something I would want to use long term due to side effects.
    I too am considering natural alternatives….seeing doctor again today. I think is most likely GVHD……so I think it important to find a long term natural lubricant to keep that area moistened and soft is the way to go. I am gonna ask today if she thinks it ok to use coconut oil, or olive oil etc both internally and externally without any fear of causing any unwanted infections etc..
    I was also gonna ask her about bio-identical hormones to replace oestrogen….anythings worth a try I say!!
    Apart from that they may just increase immuno-suppressives etc until situation stabilises. But still we need a natural long term solution for this area.
    Please let me know how you go with this, I can keep you filled in if you like. Good to share info with someone in same situation!!
    I live in NSW Australia by the way. Where are you from?
    Regards June.

6. TP

Before I go to sleep at night I take a bath/shower and then I lay down on a towel on the floor and pour the oil inside (I warm it up a little first) not too much maybe about two tablespoons and then I insert a tampon and use the excess oil that runs down on my rear and thighs.

7. ElizaK

I am already using coconut oil in a recipe as a natural deoderant, as a skin and hair moisturizer. My gyn said last year that vegetable oil can be used as lubricant and vaginal moisturizer. She said at a conference they were told that if you could ingest it, it was safe to use it (I think referring to oils). I will definitely try the coconut oil. Thanks to everyone for the comments and tips.

8. BaySally7

I agree, I also use the premarin plunger and it works. But, my breast are swollen and tender since I started on Premarin, this will be my last tube. You will love the results you see after smoothing on Virgin Unrefined Coconut Oil after shaving and it really gets the blood flowing. Take time to smooth it on daily,and see major results in a couple of days.

9. DP

I am so thankful for this info. I was paying a $45.00 for Premarin and did not like using it. Thanks!

10. Ps

Coconut oil is absolutely amazing to use for dryness but that’s not all. I recently suffered from a horrible yeast infection, it was so bad that it actually burned my vulva area:/ after being treated for the yeast infection I was not able to have sex for a week (I’m a newlywed btw so having a yeast infection in the first couple weeks of marriage is not ideal) even attempting to have sex brought such pain from the burn on my vulva from the yeast infection.
    I started using coconut oil not only on my vulva area but inside my vagina. Many people have asked how cause it’s a solid and what not, but the oil melts when it comes in contact with your skin cause your body temp is enough to melt the oil. I just want to say, coconut oil has really been an amazing factor in healing from a horrible yeast infection. I highly recommend for anti fungal uses and dryness!

11. Tanja

Easiest way is to put the organic coconut oil in the fridge and it will get solid. Cut out a piece with a knife (aprox 1/2 to 3/4 inch in diameter) and just push it up the vagina with your fingers at bedtime! No applicators needed!! The solid block will melt within a few seconds from your body heat.

12. Tanja

The easiest way is too put the organic coconut oil in the refrigerator, so it will become solid – cut a little block +/- 1/2 inch in diameter and insert it high into the vagina at bedtime!

13. N. ford

I think your gynecologist is misinformed. Many women who have had regular sex with no problems, find that after the menopause starts having sex becomes very painful, causing bleeding, etc. I use SUPPOSITORIES WITH NATURAL VIT. E, which I buy from online. For the first four months I inserted one, into my vagina, every night. Thereafter I insert one twice a week, on Sunday and Wednesday nights. If I have sex, I also use KY Gel. Hope that this helps.

14. Mel P

To apply it, put a tablespoon or so in the freezer until it’s almost a solid or is a solid and insert with clean fingers. It’ll start dissolving right away

15. Sarah

I am about 6 months stem cell transplant for leukemia and have a sore, dry raw vagina from Chronic Graft vs Host disease. I want to try coconut oil. Steroids and Premarin are very sore. My vagina is raw and closing up (I am only 30). Does anyone have experience applying coconut oil to their sensitive or painful vaginas?

16. NS

So let me see if I understand everything I’ve read. Use the coconut oil to help with the dryness, in whatever method works best for me, nightly. Use cocoa butter as a lubricant during sex. This is a live saver thanks to everyone for your input.

17. Susan L

Chris – it is a solid but it melts very quickly once it touches the body….
    I am using it with excellent results. Good Luck.
    Susan

18. Jas

Hi Ladies,
    Will the coconut oil actually help the vagina produce moisture by itself, or is it basically just a personal lubricant such as Astroglide or K.Y?

19. TC

How to apply coconut oil? I was not able to find an applicator by itself, so I purchased a yeast infection cream that had an applicator. I did not use the yeast infection cream because I only wanted the applicator. I melt the coconut oil and pour in the applicator and insert it. I have been doing this for a year now. It is wonderful and leaves the vaginal area soft and supple.

20. ems

I use non-GMO Certified Organic Raw Cacao Butter Wafers that I buy online. This cocoa butter already comes in little disk shapes, making it very easy to slip in with my fingers. It is easy to handle because it doesn’t melt in my fingers like coconut oil, but does melt quickly at body temperature. A disk can be broken in half for anyone preferring a little less. I slip one in after getting in bed so there is no problem with stains. If you need to use one during the day, a panty liner eliminates any stain problems.
    Another great solution to prevent dryness from starting is intercourse (this was recommended by my GYN &#9786). She said it brings blood to the vaginal tissue and keeps it thicker. Of course, you need to be well lubricated first and the cocoa butter works really good for that. She had me on Premarin Cream at first, but I just didn’t want to continue on it — besides the cocoa wafers are easier to insert than going through the process of opening the tube of Premarin, filling an applicator and then trying to put the cap back on without more cream squeezing out.

21. NancyCL

I use the “syringe” that I got with my Premarin cream and it works very well.