Q. Is there a tea that helps lower high blood pressure?

A. The most promising option is tea made from the dried blossoms of Hibiscus sabdariffa. Most people find its tart flavor tasty.

A review of the research showed that both animal and human studies indicate a blood-pressure lowering effect (Fitoterapia, Mar., 2013). Two or three cups a day seem to provide a therapeutic dose.

Other beverages can also help control blood pressure, including beet juice, grape juice, kefir (fermented milk) and pomegranate juice. We are sending you our Guide to Blood Pressure Treatment so you can learn more about these and other non-drug approaches to combatting hypertension.

1. Kahleen

If you live in upstate NY – Wegmans’ Food Markets – Organic section

2. AOW

Does anyone have a good source for hibiscus tea?

3. G.L.

Shoe means that after drinking the Hibiscus tea her b/p went from 180’s/90 to 125/70 if she doesn’t drink strong coffee, but that after drinking Starbuck’s coffee her b/p rises to 140/73.

4. Kahleen

That is the regime that worked for me as well.

5. Elliot O

I typically (6 days of 7) do not drink coffee and when I do it almost always is decaffeinated.

6. Kahleen

Shoe — what do you mean by your statement “after Starbucks”?

7. pp

Just read an article in a recent AARP magazine that said timing of taking BP meds is critical–for people over 65 at least some of the medication should be taken at bedtime. The article gives an explanation, and quotes some Dutch research. Turns out there’s a new area of pharmacology, “Chronotherapy,” and timing of meds can make a difference in their effectiveness. I have started breaking my BPmed in half and taking half at dinner time, and it has meant better control.

8. shoe

I started this hyb. tea 2 months ago. My hbp went from 180’s/90 to 125/70 if I don’t drink strong coffee (140/73) after Starbucks. Oh, I also take 20mg Ritalin twice daily. I am 65 years of age and work everyday. Hate the taste, but I hate meds more. Thank you People’s Pharmacy. My doc used to classify me as non-compliant, but has tried this herself.

9. Kahleen

Do you drink any coffee on the same day you drink the tea? I had to eliminate coffee completely. I drink decaffeinated occasionally.

10. Elliot O

I take Lisinopril (20mg) daily and after the first Hibiscus Tea news story that I saw, I tried one cup daily. I let the tea bag seep ten minutes to get the full effect. After almost seven weeks of this, and periodic blood pressure checks, I noticed virtually no change in my blood pressure readings and have discontinued the daily cup of tea.

11. Joann

My 85yr old mom had been on meds for hypertension for many years…. now drinks hibiscus tea and her b/p is well controlled.

12. JB

I have found out that Hawthorn tea reduces blood pressure tremendously but you have to be very careful in using it. I am under the care of a cardiologist and he has me on two different medications which keep my BP in the safe range. I take one drug in the morning and the other one at night before going to sleep. The first time I drank a cup of Hawthorn tea before going to sleep it had drastic effect on my blood pressure.
    The next morning when I took my blood pressure it was dangerously low. My wife saw that blood pressure reading and immediately declared that I should not take Hawthorn tea anymore. However, I drink one cup of hibiscus tea in the evening and it works mildly on my blood pressure.

13. paul43

Has this remedy worked for anyone else?

14. Kahleen

This tea worked great for me lowering my blood pressure. I switched from coffee. Coffee seemed to be the thing that was raising my blood pressure. I really hated to give it up and it was hard dealing with the withdrawal headaches, but it was worth it knowing that it was something in my diet that I had control over.