soles of feet poking out from under the covers

On Paul Simon’s Grammy award winning album “Graceland” is an amazing song titled “Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes.” Take a moment to watch it being performed with Ladysmith Black Mambazo.

Link to early Paul Simon version

Link to mature Paul Simon version

Vicks VapoRub on the soles of your feet may not be as memorable as diamonds on the soles of your shoes, but it has some equally amazing stories:

“I was skeptical about Vicks for my feet, but my current cough and other symptoms were keeping me from doing anything, especially sleeping. I begged my husband to pick up some Vicks VapoRub on his way home from work. It was a long, hacking, aching wait! But I finally got the stuff on my feet and drifted off to sleep peacefully within about 5 minutes. I’m praying for similar effects during the day so I can get back to work soon.” Angela

“I wouldn’t have tried it or believed it, but at 3AM I was desperate to suppress my constant cough and sleep! So I decided to try it and IDK why it worked, but it did. Lasted for several hours; I’ve done it twice now!” D.K.C.

“I have heard for several years that when your child has a cough you should put Vicks on his feet. I thought it was ridiculous. Why would that work? On his chest, yes, but feet? So I hadn’t done that.

“My son coughs until he starts to vomit. Every single time he gets even the slightest cold, he does that. He’s seven years old and has a nasty virus right now, as do I.

“I decided to try Vicks on his chest. I didn’t remember it working that well when I was a kid, so I hadn’t tried it before.

“My husband said to put it on his feet. So, I said, ok, I’ll try it. Still thinking it was silly, I put it on his feet but not mine.

“I am amazed. He slept all night with no coughing. I know because I would have heard him; I was awake most of the night coughing. I didn’t put it on my feet.” Gayle

“This comment is only partly about Vicks VapoRub and partly about the bottoms of the feet. About seventy years ago I learned about putting medication on the feet instead of into the stomach; my brother had pneumonia and was in great distress when a neighbor lady suggested that we make a poultice of onions boiled in sugar syrup, pack it on his feet and wrap with cloth and cover with socks. Don’t laugh! It worked! His fever broke and he got well very quickly.

“Back to Vicks; it has always been a mainstay for my family as it cures, yes cures, many things including athlete’s foot.” Y.E.

“This absolutely works for me.  I usually get bronchitis at least 1-2 times per year and Vicks on the soles of my feet stops the cough so I can sleep.  Usually works in 5-10 minutes.” Pat

“I just tried this Vicks remedy about 10 minutes ago and my coughing has already stopped. I was coughing every 3-5 minutes for about 30 minutes straight and it’s amazing how something can work so quickly. Not even those over the counter cough medications work as well as Vicks, soles and socks! Love it.” Jenny

We cannot promise that putting Vicks on the soles of the feet  will work for everyone. But if it does the job, it would be at least as valuable as having diamonds on the soles of your shoes.

Share your own Vicks VapoRub story below in the comment section. Want to read more about amazing uses for Vicks VapoRub? You can find them in our guide, Unique Uses for Vicks, or in Quick & Handy Home Remedies or in Best Choices From The People’s Pharmacy. Hereis a link to all our publilcations.

1. Deb
    Minnesota

I’m at the end of my rope with my nasty cough, I’m going to put Vicks on my feet right now!! Thanks for the tip! I have hope it will work. It is almost 4:30 in the morning right now….wish me luck!

2. Tracey
    SA

I just tried vicks on the bottom of my feet as I have been coughing for days and haven’t been able to sleep. It worked I can’t believe it actually worked.

3. Shannon
    Orlando, FL

I’m writing this review because I’m skeptical by nature and, as others here have mentioned, was hesitant to try this remedy. However, if writing this can help someone else get some relief, I’m happy to it.
    For the past 3 days I have had the worst cough. I’ve been coughing every hour on the hour nonstop. My ribs feel like I’ve been in the ring with Mike Tyson. Two nights ago I was really struggling to try to get any rest at all. My husband suggested the Vicks on feet remedy. I was desperate, so I slathered on the Vicks, put on socks, and within 5-10 minutes the coughing STOPPED and I was able to sleep, mostly undisturbed all night! In the morning the coughs started up again and lasted all-day-long. A few hours before bedtime I tried a prescription cough medicine and Mucinex. Nothing. If anything, my coughs seemed to be getting worse until I was almost vomiting. Hubby to the rescue again, “Try the Vicks.” I did, and had the same results. With 5-10 minutes the coughing subsided and I was able to rest comfortably. I wish I knew the science behind this. Whatever it is, it’s worked for me like a charm two nights in a row. I am a believer.

4. Lisa g
    Ireland

So for anyone doubting this remedy definitely try it, I use this all the time when I’m trying to sleep with a bad cough. 9 times out of 10 it works, I have just woke again at 5am and applied some hoping for it to work wonders again

5. Sandy
    United States

Dealing with a terrible hacking cough and fever, I placed Vicks vapor rub on my soles of my feet and the placed socks on. I realized that the Vicks being rubbed in is massaging all your meridians (energy points), as in reflexology. All my pain was gone by morning.!!
    The soles of your feet have pulse points that can cure any remedy. Of course check with your doctor before getting any acupuncture or reflexology done.
    GodBless!

6. michele
    Brooklyn, NY

Night #2 up again coughing…tried this remedy again with no success.

I’m coughing my brains out. Very disappointed thought it would work again.

7. michele
    Brooklyn, NY

This definitely works, I’ve had a hacking dry cough for days & last night it decided to keep me awake. I tossed & turned for 5 hours with pillows & cough drops….finally at 3a I put vicks vapor rub on the bottom of my feet with socks & literally within 10 minutes I’d stopped coughing & was asleep.

8. Cliff B.

Never thought in a million years Vicks on your feet would work for congestion/coughing … daughter told me it works for her and hubby. Wife has COPD/asthma problems and when she catches the slightest cold she ends up coughing her head off…… Earlier today we JUST HAD to be somewhere and she has a cold/excessive coughing …. She is taking an antibiotic and cold is slow going away …. So
    I tried it on her after much persuasion …. It worked … she did cough a couple of times but nothing like the almost constant hacking she was suffering from before … and sorry Vicks – but it was a store generic brand and smells the same. Not saying it will work for everyone ….. But what the heck, like I thought – better try something even if not 100% guaranteed — JUST IN CASE it does work – better than constant coughing!!!! And it did work!!!!!!