Warning: prepare for whiplash! We know that for the last 50 years you have heard a constant drum beat from public health officials, cardiologists, nutritionists and most other health professionals to lower your salt intake! It is hard to wrap your head around a different message, so please brace yourself.

In a the journal, JAMA Internal Medicine (online, October 28, 2013), an important article was published titled:

“The Institute of Medicine [IOM] Report Sodium Intake in Populations: Assessment of Evidence

Summary of Primary Findings and Implications for Clinicians”

Here’s what these experts found:

There is no actual research demonstrating that getting sodium levels into a recommended range of 1500 to 2300 mg daily (a quarter teaspoon to 0.4 teaspoons salt) leads to a reduction in heart attacks or strokes.

People with diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney disease or cardiovascular disease may not achieve benefit and may actually experience harm at these reduced levels. There are no data showing that lowering sodium below 1500 mg (a quarter teaspoon daily) is helpful. People with congestive heart failure may be harmed when sodium consumption drops below 2300 mg daily.

Yikes! It is precisely these high-risk patients who have been told for decades that they must lower their salt intake dramatically to be healthy. Now the IOM is saying that this advice might have been wrong.

The Institute of Medicine represents the best and the brightest in American medicine. These experts are considered the final authority on most medical issues. Although they do suggest that a high-sodium diet is common in the U.S. and that we should try to moderate our salt intake, they also urge caution about the guidelines set by public health organizations to get sodium intake below 1500 mg daily.

Okay, that’s just the first article that challenges standard wisdom and policy. Here’s the knock-out punch. The November 2013 issue of The American Journal of Medicine has a review article titled: “Dietary Sodium Restriction: Take It with a Grain of Salt.”

Strap on your seatbelt. These experts have reviewed the research on sodium and they are far more outspoken than the Institute of Medicine. They contradict the American Heart Association’s goal to achieve “Ideal Cardiovascular Health” by lowering dietary sodium to 1500 mg per day.  Here are some selected quotes:

LOW SODIUM INTAKE AND BLOOD PRESSURE:

“Although there are reasonable data to support that sodium restriction lowers blood pressure, the effects may be transient and inconsistent, with some individuals even having paradoxical increases in blood pressure. The degree of blood pressure lowering on average might be clinically trivial, approximately 2 mm Hg in normotensive individuals and approximately 4 mm Hg in hypertensive individuals. Finally, sodium restriction also has the adverse effects of activating the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system, increasing catecholamines, and adversely affecting insulin and lipids.”

What that means in plain English is that restricting sodium does not make a meaningful difference in blood pressure reduction and may lead to a stressful physiological reaction. Adrenaline (epinephrine) goes up along with insulin (not a good thing). Increases in lipid levels mean that your cholesterol levels could climb (also not a good thing).

But wait, it gets even more confusing. Here again are selected quotes from The American Journal of Medicine article about “Dietary Sodium Restriction: Take It with a Grain of Salt”:

LOW SODIUM INTAKE AND TYPE 2 DIABETES:

These reviewers point out that people with type 2 diabetes who cut way back on salt may have a higher death rate from cardiovascular causes compared to diabetics who consume a normal level of salt. Even more heretical was their analysis of the data on heart failure:

LOW SODIUM INTAKE AND SYSTOLIC HEART FAILURE:

“The low sodium diet caused increased mortality and heart failure hospitalizations versus normal sodium diet in patients with systolic heart failure. These results have been verified across multiple randomized, controlled trials in patients with systolic heart failure.”

LOW SODIUM INTAKE AND THYROID FUNCTION:

“A major source of dietary iodine is through salt. Therefore, a low sodium diet could lead to worsening of thyroid diseases.”

And for the grand finale, their summary:

“CONCLUSIONS:

There is no conclusive evidence that a low sodium diet reduces cardiovascular events in normotensive and pre-hypertensive or hypertensive individuals. On the contrary, there is sound evidence that a low sodium diet leads to a worse cardiovascular prognosis in patients with systolic congestive heart failure or type 2 diabetes mellitus. Worldwide sodium restriction, through its adverse effects on insulin resistance, may lead to an increase in the rates of type 2 diabetes mellitus…Advising low sodium diets seems misguided and potentially dangerous and illustrates the problem of guidelines based on flawed studies using surrogate measures.”

Wow and WOW! What are we to make of this turn around? For starters, your health professional has probably not read the IOM report or this article in The American Journal of Medicine. The CDC and the American Heart Association are still aiming for less than 1500 mg of sodium a day. Here is what the premier public health organization (the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention” says on its website:

…”If you are in the following population groups, you should consume no more than 1,500 mg of sodium per day…

• You are 51 years of age or older
  • You are African American
  • You have high blood pressure
  • You have diabetes
  • You have chronic kidney disease

The 1,500 mg recommendation applies to about half of the U.S. population overall and the majority of adults. Nearly everyone benefits from reduced sodium consumption.”

How do you cope with these completely contradictory messages? We have to wonder whether our public health officials are even bothering to read the medical literature. What do you think? Please share your experience and your thoughts on this complicated and confusing issue below.

1. BL

I use Himalayan Pink Salt. It contains a variety of minerals along with iodine and tastes much better.

2. Michael

Respuesta a Americo:
    bicarbonate de sodio. on google.
    mi Espanol is malo. lo siento.
    mucho information on google.
    good luck,
    michael

3. Rosalee B. B.

Of course, those of us who suffer from Ortho Static Hypotension know that salt is needed to keep from keeling over.
    That’s the advise I received from my DR. cardiologist from up north. Instead of medication, he said take a little more salt.
    Worked well!!!

4. JFC

My ankles swell when I add salt to my food. They do not when I leave it off, so I eat very little salt. Sometimes my lab work shows low sodium, sometimes high. I have no idea the best plan is for me.
    People’s Pharmacy response: Since your ankles swell, it seems that avoiding salt is best for you.

5. DAR

Too little salt can kill you. That was why GatorAde was invented. On the other side, I have seen no studies defining a maximum salt intake. I would rather err on the side of staying alive, so I use quite a bit if salt. Your body will tell you if you are taking in too much, but I suspect that the spread between too little and too much is much, much wider than the “experts” say.

6. MimiB

Once again, we’re seeing unsound medical advice based on non existent comprehensive studies being deflated. This keeps happening… old incomplete and poorly formatted studies are used far too often as a basis of medical and dietary advice. How many more of these do we need to read about before we apply some common sense?
    Extreme dietary changes don’t save lives.
    I abide by the wonderful precept… “Moderation in all things”.

7. Noah V.

This from the CDC: “You hyave high blood pressure”
    I find it difficult to trust sites that have typos in their pronouncements.

8. JRS

I am a healthy person and do a lot of hiking. I was hiking in hot weather and got dizzy when bending over. I had a feeling that I needed salt. Adding salt corrected the dizziness.

9. Cara

My blood pressure rises when I eat salt. I need no study that tells me otherwise. I’ve proved it over and over. I take my blood pressure daily. When I’ve had salt or caffeine it rises.

10. Vera

I am not a doctor. Read the package label. My box says that 1/8th teaspoon contains 150 mg of sodium (salt) which is very small. But, do read the rest of the labels and warnings on the box. There are important warnings about when and how to use sodium bicarbonate.
    Why are you taking this? For indigestion? You might consider a) losing weight, and b) identifying the foods which cause indigestion–too much fat, chocolate, alcohol, spicy foods. And try sleeping with your head raised slightly.

11. JP

At 72 I have been on reduced salt intake for many years. I recently read on People’s Pharmacy that salt reduction could result in iodine deficiency. I decided on my own to purchase 400 mcg kelp capsules. I also read the precautions about overdosing on kelp. The first day I took a kelp capsule, I had the sensation of occasional tiny pin pricks in the region of my thyroid. I have not had any similar sensations since that time. I now take a kelp tablet once a week. I think that I really was deficient in iodine and thanks to information on People’s Pharmacy, I now have more energy and feel much better.

12. Donnie

Many years ago, my sodium and potassium levels went so low, I nearly died. I have to get my levels checked and my sodium and chloride numbers are usually quite low. I’ve been told by doctors to add more salt to my diet, even though it would be adequate for most people. I have relatives who also need more salt in their diets. So, don’t guess. Get the blood tests so you know if you are getting enough sodium.

13. REH

What about the source of salt? Is sea salt more nutritious than standard white salt??

14. Kathleen

I believe that the day will come when our ‘one size fits all’ approach will disappear, and individuals will receive dietary advice based on genetic makeup. Until then, moderation in all things, and if salt restriction hasn’t significantly lowered your blood pressure, then stop restricting it!

15. BubbaLoui

Pat wrote, “There is so much salt in processed food that it is hard to avoid.”
    It’s not the salt you should be worried about. It’s the processed food!!!

16. marcia p.

I have mild high blood pressure and take a very small dose of medicine for it. At home I do not add salt to foods and do not eat salty foods like potato chips, fries etc. My blood pressure rises significantly when I eat out and have some of these foods.

17. LD

High salt intake is harmful and raises bp, I know because I´ve tried. But I don´t consider a salt intake under 3000mg being high. So an intake below that is not needed for having good results on bp.
    But most people eat maybe 4000-6000 mg/day and then it´s harmful. So yes, limit your salt intake if you eat as mauch as that.

18. Penny H.

My last few lab tests have shown me to be low in electrolytes and I have severe leg cramps at night. One of the things that helps is consuming 12 green olives (high in salt) right before I go to bed.
    Sodium is one of the electrolytes necessary for good health. And, yes, I’ve tried the soap under the sheets and it didn’t help.

19. SH

I know from personal experiences with my mother-in-law that not eating enough salt has adverse affects.
    A couple of years ago, when she was 80, she had a bad bout with feeling weak, having dizzy spells and who knows what else. We took her to the doctor and they found that her sodium levels were very low.
    That was the only new symptom that showed up. She takes synthroid daily along with a blood pressure med and cholesterol meds. She also takes 1/2 of a 5mg Xanax, not sure how many times a day.
    The doctor told her to start adding salt to everything she eats. Well, she probably goes a little overboard, but she has not had any of the above issues for a little more than 2 years.
    Now she is a healthy, active 82 year old.

20. NK

I don’t know how lower sodium is affecting my blood glucose level but I do know that by keeping it lower I have less swelling in my body, especially my legs and feet. Also, I breath better so somehow high sodium affects my lung function.

21. DS

The Weston A. Price Foundation has a good article regarding salt. http://www.westonaprice.org/
    Mary Enig, one of their founders, was the woman who exposed the dangers of trans fats and told us that saturated fats are good for us. I trust them but I do not trust the AHA or the AMA or the ADA.
    My husband has always eaten a LOT more salt than I have, and unlike me he never had thyroid issues or high BP. Now that I eat more salt, I am doing better as well.

22. C C-S

I was damaged by ibuprofen when it was first introduced; it was a prescription for a large biopsy: 400 mg 4 X day.
    As a result I was on medication for many years for kidney damage.
    My sodium intake is less than 500 mg/day and I’m healthy as a “horse” at 72.
    P.S. My thyroid was removed many years ago for Hashimoto’s Disease–an auto-immune disorder where one’s thyroid “eats” itself. For that I take Levothyroxine 150 mcg/day.

23. Bruce Harville

This reminds me that Gary Taubes (who has been on your program in the past year on another topic) wrote an article in the 1990′s that reviewed the research on the hazards of salt intake and concluded that the science did not support restricting salt in one’s diet as was being recommended by the authorities at the time – and apparently still is.

24. Americo S.

My English is not good, I write from Peru. My question is : I have high blood pressure Can I intake bicarbonate of Sodium?
    thanks to Joe and Terry Graedon
    People’s Pharmacy response: Bicarbonate of sodium is not recommended for people with high blood pressure. Carbonate of calcium would be preferred for occasional heartburn.

25. Pat

I feel much better the less salt I consume. I don’t have that “puffy” feeling in my face, hands, or feet. I do not add salt to any food I prepare. There is so much salt in processed food that it is hard to avoid. My BP is good. I’m not going to start salting my food as a result of the findings in this article, but I’m not going to stress about the use of salt either.