Q. I have had psoriasis for more than 35 years. A few years ago, my doctor suggested vitamin D, as my blood level was low. Much to my surprise, my psoriasis began to disappear almost immediately.
Several patches had proved impossible to cure with other medications. When my blood test showed a normal level of vitamin D, the doctor asked me to cut back the dosage. I did and the psoriasis returned.
I now take 5,000 units of vitamin D capsules per day and that keeps my psoriasis in check. Regular monitoring of my vitamin D level shows that I am in the middle of the acceptable range with this dosage.
A. Dermatologists have embraced topical vitamin D-like prescription creams, foams and ointments for psoriasis (American Journal of Clinical Dermatology, Aug, 2012). Calcipotriene (Calcitrene, Dovonex, Sorilux) is pricey, however.
Many doctors may have forgotten that oral vitamin D can also be helpful (Journal of Dermatological Treatment, online, Jan. 21, 2012). More than 25 years ago Japanese researchers noted that oral vitamin D3 reduced the symptoms of psoriasis without side effects (British Journal of Dermatology, Oct. 1986).
It makes sense to give inexpensive vitamin D pills a try, but anyone who uses a dose higher than 4,000 IU daily should ask the doctor to order a blood test, to make sure that the vitamin D level remains, like yours, in the healthy range. We discuss vitamin D, the appropriate dose and how to interpret the blood test in our Guide to Vitamin D Deficiency.

1. Shadow
    uk

I had a severe outbreak a few years ago, and started D3, but only to get an alternative to the sun.. I had no idea about it having any affect on psoriasis. I saw my whole body clear almost completely like magic in under two weeks. Sadly since then, a few years later I have a new outbreak which is really aggressive; I’m still on the D3 so now Im going to a homeopath. Homeopath cured it twice in my life so here goes.

2. Louisa
    Canada

I have had psoriasis for 35 years. Three years ago it “spread” and became severe. I was excited when I read about the incredible effects of high dose vitamins D3/K2 on “Inspire”, an online psoriasis site. I tried it immediately. Nothing happened and within two weeks my skin was worse than ever. Recently I thought it might be good to try again since it is now winter and vit D more scarce. Same result–now I think I must be allergic to it! I will continue to take it for health benefits but in a lower dosage.

3. Julielu
    australia

Vit D increases Calcium absorption . Some researchers are noting a correlation with hardened arteries and other problems with calcium supplements or high dietary input and recommend to ensure adequate K2 as supplements. It is naturally found in grass fed animal fats and eggs. Japanese diets gain K2 from Natto.

4. Tom

I’m 60 yrs old. Have had noticeable effects of psoriasis since I was in my twenties. Used dovonex and other products with no success. That includes taking d3. Saw these articles so I decided to up the dose of d3 to 15000mg. We will see what happens

5. Ken
    Canada

I have had pustular psoriasis on my scalp for some time. It has gotten worse, and while medications do help, the improvements are temporary and insufficient.

I decided to try D3, as some people have reported that it may work.

I have been taking 2000 mg now for a few weeks, and it seems to work far better than anything else. In fact, my condition is almost cleared. Time will tell whether it is placebo effect, a coincident with weather change or something else, but least for at the moment, it seems to have made a major difference. If it stays as it is, I will be entirely happy.

Good luck.

6. Lorraine
    Worcester

I have been taking 5000 IUD of Vitamin D3 and I can honestly say my psoriasis has seriously improved as a result of this. If only I had known 15 years ago this would have saved me so much stress and anguish. I simply cannot understand why Doctors are not recommending this alongside the creams.

• Baz
      Ireland

Medicine and Pharmaceutical industry is geared for profit…Maintenance is preferred to Cure….there are very few ‘cures’ available for anything….but if you need something to keep your ailment in check for a decade or two…you are spoiled for choice…

7. yya
    ga

thank gosh I found out that vit d3 has helped with my psoriasis a lot . only been on it less than 1 week and already can tell a difference!! you got to try it!

8. laurence betts
    ireland

I just started taking vit d3 today,2000iu a day for now. I’ ve had psoriasis over half my life and at 31 now I’ve had enough. Hope this works