young woman checking her hair in a mirror

Q. At age 49 I still had a thick head of long wavy hair. Then I was prescribed the blood pressure drug lisinopril with HCT.
Within three weeks my hair was falling out, along with my eyelashes and eyebrows. My doctor said these meds don’t cause hair loss. I saw a hormone specialist and after $400 worth of tests, he said the hair loss was due to age and stress.
One dermatologist I saw said it was stress; another said I was getting older.
I’ve searched blood pressure medications online and many have “alopecia” as a side effect. That means hair loss. I don’t think I’m stressed and I’m not that old.
A. Many medications can cause hair loss. Blood pressure pills like atenolol, lisinopril, losartan, and valsartan may have this effect, as can cholesterol-lowering drugs like lovastatin or simvastatin. Such a side effect is often considered minor, but many people find it distressing.
We are sending you our Guides to Hair and Nail Care and Blood Pressure Treatment with a list of many drugs that may contribute to hair loss plus ways to battle baldness and control blood pressure naturally.
No one should stop taking a blood pressure medicine without medical supervision. Controlling hypertension without side effects requires good teamwork between doctors and patients.

1. damian
    United States

That is exactly my story. I truly wished my doctor would of advised me of the possible side effect of losing my hair.

2. Carolyn
    Ontario

I am 69 yrs old and in Oct 2014 I had a triple bypass. For about 2yrs I’ve been on blood pressure pills. Since my operation I’ve been on metoprolol,prevastatin, and Asa. I’ve just recently started to notice a quick and serious hair loss not previously noticeable. A doctor recently told me that of all my meds only my thyroid med which I have been on since my early 20,s could cause it and he felt my thyroid was fine. Although the doc was sympathetic he denied it could be the meds. He even went down the list on his iPhone of which there were many side effects but hair loss was seen as rare to none. Doctors are given this list by supposed thorough research. The bottom line is sites like this one if acknowledged at all are seen as unreliable sources even though there are a multitude is who are subject to significant hair loss and all the stress that goes with it. I want to quit the meds but I know I won’t have a doctors support. I would like to hear from those who have had successful results and their diet.

3. Maria

Wow I’m so glad I found this site I been on this meds for 10 years or more I alway wonder why my hair would be thick some months then thin, grow fast and fall out faster.
    Since I’m middle age I will take this page to my doctor because I don’t want use this anymore.

4. joanna
    la Grange Illinois

Very sad but the medical profession does not care about hairloss…only interested in curing the health problem. Of course you will feel more stressed & blood pressure will get higher when your hair is falling outl. I also take Warfarin as have A-fib. I M taking Diltiazem for blood pressure & heart problem. I started taking Warfarin 10 years ago for A-fib & have lost more than half my hair or more. Cardiologist denied hairloss is caused from ?Warfarin….yet when I check in medication books it is first side effect mentioned, I M at a loss & have about given up. Now my b/p has increased so my primary care has increased my Diltiazem which states hairloss very rare?

5. Michael Kiser
    kingsport tn

my mother is taking lisinopril and loosing a lot of her hair, she has hair way down on her back and it falls out worse then a cat.. you can sweep piles of blonde hair up off the floor. i take metroprolol and my hair does not come out at all. metoprolol is great for anxiety.. helps my social anxiety so much… that i dont have to take depression meds at all.

6. paul
    houlton maine

Afer takinging metoprolol for at least six years along with lisinopril, amlodipine and losartan for high blood pressure and tachycardia and anxiety attacks. I finally noticed not only was my hair getting way thinner, but it was falling out faster than my black lab’s.

My ex wife was bragging about it all over town and I always wear a hat! He must be dying of cancer right? I’m 60yo.
    This side effect of loss of hair is way the hell down the list in the very rare category. MY ASS!!!!!! IT SHOULD BE AT THE TOP NUMBER ONE.
    As of three days ago I stopped taking metoprolol and amlodapine lets see what happens…
    And to Christine in Florida, if you wake up at 3am with a tickle in your throat that is hard to make go away…… its a side effect of the lisinipril … my intake nurse told me that.

• Christine McGlown
      Vero Beach

Thanks so much Paul, I stop taking lisinopril about 5 months ago now. My hair is growing back and I have also got my blood press down …I have lost 25 pounds and I’m watching what I eat. My doctor try to put me on another BPM I told him no thanks, since you didn’t know BPM takes out your hair I will take my own advice…Only 6-months on lisinopril and I had all kinds of sides effect, coughing, depress, stomach low pain, hair loss, tickle in your throat, My hair is my proud and joy…Now I wearing wigs until my hair grown back…..Do anyone now if their a law-suit going on with Lisinopril?

7. Shirley
    Georgia

I want everyone on this list to be INFORMED! Does it ever cross your mind why so many people are being told they have high blood pressure or cancer or Alzheimers, depressions, prostate cancer or some sort of disease??? Let’s look at “shingles.” The ad says if you had the measles, you have the shingles virus. Well, how many people have had shingles? Millions!!! Do you notice that you can’t watch TV without seeing commercials about a disease or a drug??? It’s a scare tactic. Do you hear the side effects of the drugs??? Wake up!!! It’s all about the $$ and the goal is to make as many people sick as possible or make them think they’re sick or going to get sick! Don’t you think it’s strange for a doctor to tell you that you have to stay on a synthetic high blood pressure pill or cholesterol pill “THE REST OF YOUR LIFE????” This is ridiculous!
    Our bodies, which are fearfully and wonderfully made are designed to heal themselves with proper nourishment and proper rest and care. and YES, you ARE losing you hair. That’s what these pills do. I can’t even grab my hair any longer to simply make a twist. I now wear a wig! This happened in a matter of months! Do you notice these pills do not cure? Do you notice these pills do not make you feel better? In fact, they make you feel worse. Take charge of your own health and see through the deception that is being forced on our society! How many decades will it take to find a cure for cancer? Answer: None, the cure is know but there’s no money in a cure!

One of the sources that opened my eyes, besides THE LORD GOD, was a book called “Selling Sickness” by Ray Moynihan and Alan Cassels. You have to read it! Take charge of your own health. Eat better, exercise, learn to relax and get off the drugs! Do Not Fear!

• Christine M.
      Vero Beach, FL

Shirley. Thanks so much. Reply back.
      I was only on my BP Med for 6 months and noticed my hair falling out. I have stopped taking my BP Med, and my pressure is down now. I started eating right and walking. And my doctor had the nerve to tell me I can’t stop taking my pills. I told him again, “I have control of my body, and with the help of God I can get my BP down.” And I did. Thanks

• Quisha
      Atlanta

Amen!!!!

8. Crystal
    Alabama

I have been on several blood pressure meds including lisinopril and clonidine, cardeovil, spiralactone. Many articles I’ve read states hair loss. Also I now have hypoparathyroid issues and severe anemic . (My parathyroids were removed…now calcium levels are nearly always too low) odds are against me so it seems. Did I mention I am also African America? So….it world seem hair loss is minor verses keeping my pressure down, are there any recommendations to any other medications that may keep my pressure in control and stop the massive hair loss?

9. Christine McGlown
    Vero Beach Fl.

I started taking Lisinopril back in June 2015, I noticed around edge may hair was getting thin, but at the time I didn’t think anything about it because I have thin edge. But it started to get bond in that spot… I always keep my hair braid-up and it had started to grow very good…The person that do my hair ask me was I on any different kind of meds? I said no….When I started to take the braids out 3-months later, my hair was coming out in a hand full…All cross the top had broke and around my edges was like spots…I said oh my God what in the hell going on with my hair….I came to work the next day I went to my job nurse and ask her do BPP take your hair out…She said I heard some do , Why…I think they taking my hair out…She went on line and the first pill I saw was Lisinopril, I call my doctor and told him and he said he had never heard BPP take your hair out…I told him well they do and you need to do some researching…Because I will not take anymore of those pills…Also I’m having a lots of other side effects as well…Then he prescribed I take Losartan the devil is a lie I will not take it that’s on the list to …I’m so upset about my hair at this point I know my BP is high more now….And the Lisinopril I take is 10mg and they are free…And now I see why…

10. Helen
    Los Angeles

I too am experiencing hair loss. My Dr prescribed

losarton but after researching it I know not to take this

pill. What other blood pressure meds can we take that

won’t take your hair out?

11. Ginny
    Ohio

A year ago my doctor doubled my dose of metoprolol and Lisinopril within two weeks my super long hair started coming out by the handfuls. I called my doctor immediately and he reversed the metoprolol back to the original dose. At that time I thought that was the only drug I was taking that caused hair loss. My hair loss eventually eased up but has not stopped and now is again coming out in massive amounts. Today I called my doctor and left a message for him that I was not going to take anymore BP meds until he could prescribe one that does not harm my hair. I literally have Hali the hair I had a year ago and my hair is over 36″ long, so hair that falls out IF it comes back has about ten years to grow to become the length it was. I’m sick, truly sick about my hair and pissed off that a doctor would do third workout going over the side affects ALL of them, even if some of them are “obscure”. Now I’m left doing damage control, taking supplements, using shampoo to help increase volume and so on. I’m just passing that is not permanent.

12. AL
    Atlanta

My medication was pumped up from 10mg to 20mg of Lisinopril and within 3 months my hair was noticeably thinner and shedding. I am definitely going to speak with my doctor about trying a less intrusive medication. Good luck to all who are suffering from this condition. I wish I had done my homework since the side effects were not disclosed to me.

13. Esther
    Florida

Very helpful, since this is informing me that Simvastatin and Losartan may cause hair loss. I take both.

14. Stephanie
    USA

My mother and I were just talking and searching for blood pressure medication side effects.. she is almost entirely bald on the crown of her head to her forehead and my hair is so noticeably thin that i can only braid two strands now of hair that was formerly too thick to harness in a pony tail. I am 47 and on Lisinopril.. as is my mother.. :( My medication was also bumped from 10 to 20 mg in the last year which is when the most of my hair has fallen out. This article was very helpful… I’m also experiencing the standard Lisinopril cough.

15. Barbara
    IL

I take Lisinopril -Hctz 20-25, Atorvastatin 10mg, Premarin
    Amaryl. I’m losing all my hair. I shed like a dog. Hair everywhere.

16. LD

I have been taking Losartan for about 2 months and have experienced a lot of hair loss. Top of my head and the temples are thinning fast. I am scheduled for another appointment with my doctor next week and will bring this to his attention but I think that its the medication that I have been prescribed.

17. JT

Thank you for this site. My doctor recently changed my prescription from 20mg Simvastatin to 40mg daily and I am also taking Losartan. Since the change in amount of Simvastatin, I have been noticing lots of hair in the shower after I have one. Could this be the cause?

18. CB

Ok…have any of you noticed a discoloration on upper and inner thighs? It feels like a sunburn. It is somewhat purple red.
    I have found this with almost all other women on these meds…
    hydrochlorothiazide…toprol…losartan. Amazing how frequently these side effects are noticed but not documented much on the drug
    sheets. I think most attribute these things to stress or age, but not the real thing causing the issues are the meds!!!

19. R.f.

While I am on several different medications, I didn’t experience any hair loss until I was put on Lisinopril.

20. Lynn

Has anyone successfully tried minoxdil for hair loss? I’m desperate. I’ll be 50 on Friday and can’t believe that I’m going bald from blood pressure medication. I had more hair on my head two weeks ago than today. I don’t even want to look at pix of myself. What a bummer!

21. nsc

I’ve been reading all comments regarding blood pressure meds and hair loss/thinning. I am 66 yr old female and have been on lisinopril (20 mg) and since 10/11 on Pravastatin (generic for Cozaar) 100 mg. In researching this site it seems crystal clear that there are far too many drugs available and doctor’s are not really familiar with most of them, more importantly, possible side effects… my doctor went from 20 mg to 100 mg???? I have noticed definite hair thinning on the top of my head and I think it is from overdosage. My BP hovers in the low 130’s/over low 90’s and I do exercise at the gym.. I am meeting with doctor next week and, now more educated, I have many questions… thank you for the valuable info I learned.

22. Anthony

Yes it’s possible but there are many contributing factors including stress, diet, hormone change, etc. try using a sulfate free shampoo like Regenepure DR with Ketoconazole. You can see their ingredients At http://www.regenepure.com. Stay away from commercial products. Minoxidil spray is a good idea to use also

23. Sophia R.

I have taken lisinopril, HCTZ, and lovastatin for several years, and have experienced noticeable hair loss. What medications can be substituted that will not result in further hair loss?

24. CW

This may sound irrelevant but let it be a cautionary tale. My mother, in her later years, began to experience hair loss. Her doctor speculated that it could be attributable to her age, declining health, or medications taken. Then she heard several friends complain of hair loss. They all went to the same hair stylist. He had, until recently, worked on his own, then sold his business and went to work for a chain. That’s when hair loss became an issue. The ladies switched to other stylists; their hair grew back.
    Interestingly, the doctor never asked about her stylist or what products he might be using. Chains, as we know, have one objective: the bottom line.

25. KGW

I also take Simvastatin, atenolol and HCT. I have mentioned hair loss to my Dr’s but got no help.

26. JanL

I noticed hair loss during my run with lisinopril/HCTZ, also. However, I had stopped taking it due to lower legs to toes cramping. After I stopped this med, my hair thickened to its pre-lisonopril/HCTZ amount. I did not know why I had the hair loss at the time, and certainly was happy it came back, but now I think it must have been the med. I take no other meds, was not having overwhelming stress, and am in good health ( other than hypertension).

• Justin

Which blood pressure medication you found out with no hair loss issues?

27. RKM, MD

It is difficult for physicians to remember all the data concerning the drugs we prescribe. We remember the important things, but no one can remember all the little details which can be a problem at times, or an inconvenience in this case.
    I found a solution: From http://www.pdr.net I have printed the concise reviews of the drugs that I most often prescribe (with some minor editing). So when I prescribe one for the first time, I go over the list briefly with the patient and give them a copy. The documentation that comes with even OTC drugs is too long and complex (due to the number of lawyers we have) so that very few patients ever read it (I think it is designed to be that way).

28. aurora w.

My hair is also falling out! So far the MD’s have been unable to help, other than suggest I get a transplant! What do you suggest, please help, I have stopped Lisinopril.

29. jamel

very helpful article. I just rated it 5/5

30. Melinda

I take Evening Primrose oil for PMS and have found that my hair has grown back at my temples. I am 52 and had thinning hair there. I also had very short, sparse eyelashes on my lower left eye. They had grown longer and seem to be thicker.