Q. I get a health newsletter from a respected medical center. I noticed in the last issue that vitamin D could raise the risk of heart attack and stroke by up to 20 percent. Any comments?

A. Several research reports have created considerable confusion. A year ago researchers reported that people taking calcium supplements were 30 percent more likely to have a heart attack than those getting placebos (BMJ, online, July 29, 2010). Although this finding came from a meta-analysis of 11 studies involving over 12,000 people, many health professionals were skeptical and objected that vitamin D intake was not part of the analysis.
This year a new study in BMJ (online, April 19, 2011) confirmed the original finding with a twist. Even women taking vitamin D with their calcium had a higher risk (20 percent) of heart attack or stroke compared to placebo. We suspect that this is what your newsletter was reporting.

More recent research shows that vitamin D alone appears to protect men from heart attacks and strokes (American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, online, June 8, 2011). For more on the benefits and risks of vitamin D you may wish to review our Guide to Vitamin D Deficiency. Excess calcium may be the culprit, while vitamin D may be neutral or protective for the heart.

1. Sarah H.

Go outside mid morning for 20 minutes and take a D supplement.
    I swear you won’t be deficient next time you’re tested.

2. fbl

With all the confounding factors I wouldn’t let that research affect my vitamin D decision. Man has received considerably more vitamin D from the sun for thousands of years until recently.
    The medications most of us take daily are more likely to do harm than the sun!

3. Mary

I was diagnosed with a Vitamin D deficiency. My doctor has me taking 5,000 IU of Vitamin D seven days a week for over three months now. Plus I take calcium citrate 500 mg with 500 IU of Vitamin D. With all the Vitamin D I take my levels still are not where she wants them to be. If I take that much Vitamin D and it’s not good for my heart, then I am doomed. I am also on metformin 500 mg a day, gemfibrozil 600 mg two times a day, Azor, Levothyroxin, Omerprazole, Claritin and Ferrous Sulfate for anemia.

4. Marlis W.

While I have been prescribed 2800 mg of Calcium per diem, I have trouble locating it without Vitamin D. I know we need vitamin D, but how much SHOULD I take just to have the catalyst effect needed? How much is too much per day of D? I am currently getting 1600 units daily… all just for a diagnosis of osteoporosis. ..and yes, am on Boniva and walks just for starters.
    Thank you for your incredibly beneficial radio program – you have helped many, many people. And for having the lovely timbre of voices which lend themselves so well to the medium. Appreciate your input, Marlis W.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: WE USUALLY RECOMMEND BETWEEN 1,000 AND 2,000 IU OF VITAMIN D DAILY, ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE GETTING.

5. AJK

Okay, this is very scary. I take a Cal-Mag supplement 2X daily and 2000 IUs of D3 once daily. I have joint problems and want to maintain good bone health. I have Diabetes II. I have read so many good things about taking D3. Help me to understand. Thank you.

6. fbl

Ummm, no mention of whether it was D2 or D3? Would that have a bearing?