Q. You recently replied to a person who has weak fingernails. You mentioned some treatments but did not point out that together with other problems this could be a symptom of hypothyroidism.
Often little things like brittle nails and dry skin are overlooked and never mentioned to the doctor because of their seeming insignificance. Some of these apparently unrelated problems could be a hallmark of a more serious health concern, especially when they occur in a constellation of symptoms. With hypothyroidism, brittle nails, dry skin, hair loss, poor memory, trouble with concentration, weight gain and depression are all indicators.
Any condition that does not improve as it should might be signaling an underlying problem. It is better to find and treat the cause, not just the symptom.

A. You have described many symptoms of an underactive thyroid gland. Other signs include constipation, fatigue, cold intolerance, reduced sex drive, high cholesterol and slow pulse. Because such complaints are so common, they are sometimes overlooked or dismissed.
We are sending you our Guide to Thyroid Hormones with more details on symptoms, lab test interpretation and various treatment options.

1. MJ

What would be wrong with finding another doctor?
    I have done just that. I struck it lucky with a young one, who listens.
    The last one just handed out pills.
    Before that, the one who fortunately retired, didn’t “believe” in the situation I had and it required self-diagnosis and getting appointment with a specialist who confirmed what I’d discovered.
    The older the doctor, the less likely to be up on the most recent medical discoveries and practices, IMHO.
    If doc doesn’t listen, replace him/her. That’s my rule from now on.

2. Reddyretta

I no longer have access to medical insurance. I am in need of thyroid medication. Are there resources available?

3. Sam

Armour Thyroid is available. Check with your pharmacist again or call the company. I think it’s much more effective for hypothyroidism than Synthroid.

4. mv

Nature Throid or Westthroid (same as naturethroid) is made RLC labs, I highly recommend it. May be found at a local pharmacy, usually one that also does compounding.
    I had a doc try and switch me off to Levothyroxine once. It cost me heart pains and a treadmill test.
    Check out the book, Hypthryroidism Type 2 the Epidemic by Dr. Starr.

5. sbg

Is Nature Throid easily available? I was started out on Synthroid, but developed an allergy to the tree filler. Since then I have been on Levoxyl with a brief time on Armour. The formula for Armour was changed and I did not feel well on the new Armour. I have not seen a lot of improvement on any of these. My current doctor has reduced my Levoxyl as my TSH indicates I am taking too much. I still feel that I am not on the correct dose as my symptoms are still there. I am losing hair and the fatigue is not being relieved by adding a mega dose of vitamin D2. I feel better for a day after I take the 50,000 I.U.’s of Vitamin D2, but by the next day I feel tired again. I have never been prescribed Nature Throid. Thank you for any information you can provide on Nature Throid.

6. MJB

armor goes by a couple different names. a pharmacy here in town that does compound medications has naturethroid right out front. westhroid is another name it goes by. i also have hashimotos. my dr combines levothroid with an adequate dosage of naturethroid to affect my T3 as well.
    People’s Pharmacy response: These are all brands of desiccated thyroid, but not necessarily all from Armour.

7. ebm

Deb, I recommended my girlfriend ask her Dr to prescribe Armour for her, the natural
    dessicated thyroid medicine. It works like a charm and she was on Synthroid for many
    years without any results. I read that Synthroid was never officially approved by the FDA.

8. CB

My hair is falling out, my nails split lengthwise and break off in chunks, my skin is so dry it’s painful, I have trouble getting a full night’s sleep, I gain weight unreasonably and I’m so tired I can barely hold my head up. My thyroid is barely in the normal range. However, I’m told that it’s “within the normal range” and it’s “normal for me.” I can’t believe that feeling this way is “normal”. I’m 68 and have had most of these symptoms ever since I can remember (except for the hair loss) and received the same comments for years from many doctors, including an endocrinologist. Then I’m told that I need to lose some weight and I’ll be fine. They give me a diet that’s more calories than I eat and tell me to exercise, which I’m too tired to do.
    I’m 68 and I did take thyroid for several years over forty years ago. As that doctor was writing the prescription, he said, “Most doctors wouldn’t do this because you are within the normal range, but your thyroid is so low I don’t see how you even get out of bed in the morning”. I felt much better while I was taking it. Then we moved across the state and my new doctor wouldn’t prescribe it because I was “within the normal range”.
    What would be wrong with trying to kick my thyroid up to the MIDDLE of “normal”?

9. cpmt

TO DAN M: please check to see if what you have is really psoriasis and not a fungus infection. My dr. told me I had psoriasis and later I found out it was a fungus infection.

10. Susan

My Anti Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody is 250 (normal range is 0-12), while my T4 and Anti Thyroglobulin Antibody are both within normal range, although both on the low end (5.17 and 9.8, respectively). Can you please advise… what does this mean? Thank you.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: THIS IS OFTEN INDICATIVE OF HASHIMOTO’S THYROIDITIS, AND IT MIGHT MEAN THAT YOUR BODY DOESN’T DO WELL IN CONVERTING T4 TO T3. HERE’S SOME INFO:

11. PB

I am on Levothyroxine and I have all the symptoms as you I also eat healthy, walk 30 minutes a day and take a multivitamin. and get 7 hrs of sleep. I wish I had an answer.

12. Grace

I’ve had the same problem with synthroid; it made me feel like I’d had too much coffee. I’ve tried several natural options, and am currently taking NatureThroid which seems to work the best for me.
    Recently my general practitioner doctor made note that my THS (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) is pretty low, which he warned me has been linked to bone loss, so I tried to reduce my dose. I’ve had this ‘skipped’ heartbeat feeling off and on for years, but my general practitioner has done EKG’s and said they were normal enough (not a very reassuring statement!), so I just tried to ignore the skipped beats and fluttering feeling.
    Then, having tried to cut back on the NatureThroid, I had an average of 15 missed beats per minute, which ended me up at a cardiologist. Thank God he was the most wonderful doctor who first of all recognized the skipped beats: They were real, and it was such a relief to have a doctor acknowledge them. Then he saw the Thyroid connection right away, and confirmed that NatureThroid is more natural and more likely to make you actually feel well than the ‘flat-line’ dose Synthroid gives you.
    He told me not to worry about the low TSH, but focus more on getting the Free T3 and Free T4 closer to the high end of normal. He did an echo-cardiogram which was all clear. I’ve increased my dose and the skipped beats have come down to a much more comfortable level.
    Now my body temperature is beginning to come up to more normal levels (it had been around 95 degrees for the last 20 years), my hair is less dull and… O miracle! my nails are FINALLY beginning to strengthen. I have more energy and less trouble keeping my weight down. So if I’ve learned anything, it is that everything is interconnected, and blood test levels are only part of the picture, and to not give up to hope to feel better, and to keep looking until you find a doctor who actually listens to you and treats the patient, not just the lab results.

13. DRA

I have found the same to be true. On levothroid, annual blood tests indicate that my thyroid levels are all within normal ranges. However, symptoms (fatigue, thinning hair and nails, low libido, weight gain, etc.) never really improve. I exercise, eat a healthy diet, take a multi-vitamin, and get 7 hours of sleep a night, but still never really feel energetic. Any suggestions?

14. Charlayne

Synthroid doesn’t do anything for me either, neither does the generic levothyroxin. The only thing that works on my Hashimotos was Armor Thyroid, which has gone into either short supply or totally off market. I really miss it.

15. Dan M

Another cause:
    At age 79 I became one of the 5% whose only symptom of psoriasis is brittle nails which split and then begin to distort, also.

16. cpmty

Well, thank you for saying it. I been complaining of all these symptoms to my old dr. (nurse) and she totally ignored me because the T4 test was normal. I know that something is wrong but, sometimes doctors don’t listen or hear the patient (probably because I have so many other things wrong with me.) I wish they paid more attention, I guess they, doctors, are too busy. And probably my tinnitus is too related to the same problem.

17. deb t.

I have been on 75mg of Synthroid for at least 5 yrs. Blood has been retested frequently. Synthroid has no effect against brittle nails, hair loss, weight gain, weariness, etc. Have mentioned all this to doctor, who has nothing new to offer. I also developed mild anxiety upon taking it.