Q. You recently described a recipe for Power Pudding to fight constipation. How much do you have to eat at a time? Can you send me the pumpkin muffin recipe also?
A. Power Pudding, a mixture of bran, applesauce and prune juice, should be taken only one or two tablespoons at a time and washed down with plenty of fluid. Taking too much at once might cause serious digestive trouble.
We are sending you all the details on this remedy along with a dynamite recipe for pumpkin-bran muffins in our Guide to Constipation.

1. Cody

Is first thing in he morning, on an empty stomach, the best time to take this pudding? Thank you.

2. EL

I am 89 and have developed severe constipatiion over a four year period. I have had a colonoscopy and a Barium Enema, no problems found. Tried any number of laxatives and fibers and prescription medications. Sometimes they help and sometimes they don’t. Unfortunately many of the fibers have disappeared from the pharmacy shelves.
    I have had many discussions with my GI doctor, but still no cure. The only sure thing is the packaged enema. I did try the POWER PUDDING but it seemed to add to the constipation. Perhaps I should give it another try for a longer period of time. Thank you.

3. Renee M.

I have made your Power Pudding and it is very effective. Thank you. My question is : How long can I keep it in the Fridge before it goes bad? How will I know when to stop using the one I made… and make a new batch?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: IT CAN BE KEPT UP TO A WEEK IN THE FRIDGE. AFTER THAT, DISCARD IT AND MAKE A NEW BATCH.

4. Fred S.

For your Power Pudding (Bran, Applesauce & Prune Juice) does it need to be cooked? If yes, how long? Thanks.

5. FSS

I am totally the same, especially when I am pregnant. I take fiber gummies and I haven’t had the problems since. Also when I am pregnant I use stool softeners.

6. T. Roe

I have suffered chronic constipation for years. Have tried the applesauce, prune juice, & bran but it was not completely successful. Then someone advised me to take magnesium every day, and I do. 500 mg. every evening. It is like magic. I haven’t had a problem since.