a persimmon

Q. A while ago I read about persimmon tea for acid reflux. I suffer from time to time, but my husband suffers constantly. It is so bad that he wakes up almost every night and throws up! Prilosec, Nexium and a host of other drugs along with extra strength Gaviscon or Pepcid do nothing.

I made the persimmon tea. He drank a shot glass full the first morning and a shot glass after supper. From day one, he has slept soundly, and so have I. Nothing he eats now has caused him heartburn since we made it. The recipe was simple, though we did have trouble finding persimmons at first.

We just found out our insurance will no longer cover any of his expensive acid-suppressing drugs, so we are extra grateful!

A. We first heard about persimmon punch, a concentrated cinnamon-ginger drink, early in 2005. A woman wrote that she had tried it in a Korean restaurant and found that it stopped her heartburn. She made some at home and added 3 tablespoons to her tea morning and evening. After several months, her cholesterol and blood sugar were also lower.

We looked for a recipe for persimmon punch and found one posted by Hyungshin Song on the Food Network Web site: Combine 2 quarts of water, ½ cup of thinly sliced fresh ginger and 3 cinnamon sticks. Simmer for ½ hour. Strain the liquid and stir in 1 and ½ cup sugar and 1 cup of sliced dried persimmons. Keep refrigerated.

1. David
    Tallahassee Florida

When I looked for persimmon tea, it was all made from persimmon leaves.
    Will that work? Do you have to have the fruit?
    I was on Prilosec for around 10 years. Nexium for the last two.
    I am having all the symptoms of someone on PPI’s for too long.

Mainly though. Are the persimmon leaf teas any good?

2. Robin in Vermont

PPIs are very powerful drugs, and in some cases, life saving. As someone who lost both parents to esophageal cancer, I take my gastric health very seriously — but even I will never take them again.

As someone who has been on Prevacid everyday for 13 years, I’d like to caution anyone out there who has taken PPIs for a long time — if you decide to discontinue taking it, talk to your doctor — and if you can, a naturopath who specializes in gastro issues. There are safe, effective supplements, and supportive products, that can help get you through the first few weeks, as well as the rest of your life. Please believe me when I say that the detox is bad and should NOT be attempted on your own. There is available help if you ask for it.

I went off the drug because I developed severe lower back pain over my kidneys. It was so bad even opiates couldn’t touch it. I also had 2 medical conditions that my doctors and specialists couldn’t diagnose. I complained about them for years, but every urine test showed nothing was wrong.

Within 24 hours of stopping Prevacid, the back pain was gone. Within 48 hours, the other frightening conditions were gone. (Inability to empty bladder, constant and profuse sweating.) I finally knew what had been making me sick for at least six years. And yet, I know that despite seeing me sit in her office soaking wet from my hair to my sox, my doctor won’t believe it.

PPI manufacturers say right in their literature, “Do not take for more than 14 days; and no more than twice in one year.” But I got 90 of them at a time, and I took them faithfully, thinking they were as benign as gummy bears. Why are doctors in denial about this drug?

Remember, PPI’s began to be prescribed approx 15 years ago, and now, those of us who were the first to take them, have been taking them long enough to make us sick. If you, or anyone you love, has been on these drugs for a long time, and are experiencing unexplained medical conditions, please check the list of severe side effect of long term use. I wish I had 6 years ago. All of my problems were listed there, except the sweating, which I think was my bodies attempt to rid me of the toxins it could not eliminate normally.

My advice is to get a food allergy test, at the very least. Something you are eating is making you sick. And even when you stop eating it, you will still experience acid stomach with out the other supplements, at least in the beginning. But it does get better day by day.

It truly saved me when my naturopath told me “no dairy.” I’m lactose intolerant, and I thought Lactaid milk and yogurt was ok. Not for me, it’s not. That information inspired me to look at everything I was eating, and consider it carefully before I put it in my body. I am eating less, but I’m getting the benefit of what I eat nutritionally.

I’m also less trusting of my doctors. Now I ask more questions.

I am only on day 18 of my recovery, and so far, I’ve lost 11 pounds from being sick, had a burning case of hives wake me up at 4 AM, and ended up in the emergency room with heart palpitations. But that’s because I tried to detox off of PPIs on my own. Now I take supplements and enzymes, and drink aloe vera (fillet) juice before every meal. The great thing is, if I do that, no acid. After two weeks of backlash, I can eat a meal again, without being sick. Even my gallbladder is happy again.

I’m very grateful to have found the cause of what was making me so sick, and I try everyday, not to be angry toward the woman who prescribed it. She’s just following the protocol that every other doctor is following, blindly.

3. Diane
    home

Somewhere I read that chewing gum will help and it does, but doesn’t always last a long time. The problem is finding gum without chemical, dyes, and some sweeteners that one should avoid. Also, apple and I’m not sure about that as I haven’t tried it long enough.

• Robin in Vermont

Gum helps me, but you need to avoid mint of any kind, at least at first. While peppermint tea is supposed to be good for the gut, it actually always gives me heartburn.

4. Steph
    Iowa

I have gastritis, would this work for that?

5. Kiturah
    Alabama

How long does this keep in refrigerator? That seems to be quite a bit of tea. Since persimmons aren’t cheap don’t want to waste it!

• Emily
      TX

Maybe you could freeze the extra tea in small batches?

6. Crystal
    Raleigh

Is it ok to use these herbal remedies for reflux while taking Zantac?

7. KathyD.

I found dried persimmon at Whole Foods in the produce department.

8. Susan

Trader joes has dried persimmons also Asian markets

9. Barbara

I bought dried Persimmons from Local Harvest Stores found on web site.
    If you already tried this tea I hope it worked for you. I have had the acid trouble for years and at soon to be 78 it’s about time I found a non prescription fix.

10. cpmt

If you have a korean supermarket near you they have frozen and dry persimmons and possible persimmon tea. Most of large cities have these supermarkets. N.Y., Philadelphia, Atlanta etc..

11. AD

What is the correct way to brew persimmon tea or ginger tea and what kind of cinnamon?

12. John I.

Hey Hannah! I live in Raleigh, too.
    I just went out and bought a nice supply of dried persimmons from the Korean market on the corner of Pleasant Valley and Duraleigh. Thanks for the background information about the nature of the drink as a desert drink. Very interesting.
    John

13. SS

To Hannah….Thank you for saying this. I read that Persimmon Tea was a mixture of cinnamon and ginger too. I believe you are correct that the Persimmons are a last minute add-in. Does anyone have the recipe for this Korean tea?
    I would like to know what portions of cinnamon and ginger are used. And if there is a specific type of cinnamon that should be used.

14. Frank

To handle acid reflux I used Nexium and Omeprazole capsules for several years before switching to eating persimmons – check the following link for the various types of persimmons http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persimmon In California, Washington state and Oregon, fresh persimmons is available (Nov, Dec, Jan) at all Asian, Middle Eastern countries super markets and even Costco.
    Another alternative is a drink in the form of persimmons leaf tea (available in Asian super markets) with added Ceylon cinnamon (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon In addition to eating persimmons and/or drinking persimmons/cinnamon tea it is important to stop what causes acid reflux in the first place – the persimmons/cinnamon will not do the job alone.
    Some of the drinks and foods that cause acid reflux are all alcoholic/soda beverages, regular tea, coffee, citruses (oranges, tangerines and lemons), chocolate, mint, tomatoes, green or red paper, fried food and red meat. Avoid all spicy food in general. It is worth mentioning that if acid reflux is not handled properly (stopped) there is the possibility of developing, among other things, what is known as “Barrett’s Syndrome” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett%27s_syndrome .

15. Linda s

Get her off the drugs! I have been on them with horrible side effects. Better to try anything naturally!!!

16. Andre

Persimmons are hard to get outside of asia.
    I live in Korea and take Persimmon leaf tea for that has all of the benefits of the fruit without the fuss of peeling and cutting. I take it to reduce cholesterol and clean out my arteries. Yes, recent research at Gyeongnam University has proven that it is effective at this, too!
    Think of it as a kind or ‘drain cleaner’ I strongly recommend it – and it tastes great too.
    Andre

17. NW

What are DGL tablets?

18. DA

How much do you drink a day? and when?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: A LITTLE SHOT GLASS FULL, TWICE DAILY, BEFORE MEALS.

19. mllea

nutsonline.com has dried persimmons at a very reasonable price.

20. Ruth C.

Have you tried chewing DGL tablets or sipping lemon water throughout the day to quell acid reflux? Either of those remedies helps me tremendously.