Q. A while ago I read about persimmon tea for acid reflux. I suffer from time to time, but my husband suffers constantly. It is so bad that he wakes up almost every night and throws up! Prilosec, Nexium and a host of other drugs along with extra strength Gaviscon or Pepcid do nothing.

I made the persimmon tea. He drank a shot glass full the first morning and a shot glass after supper. From day one, he has slept soundly, and so have I. Nothing he eats now has caused him heartburn since we made it. The recipe was simple, though we did have trouble finding persimmons at first.

We just found out our insurance will no longer cover any of his expensive acid-suppressing drugs, so we are extra grateful!

A. We first heard about persimmon punch, a concentrated cinnamon-ginger drink, early in 2005. A woman wrote that she had tried it in a Korean restaurant and found that it stopped her heartburn. She made some at home and added 3 tablespoons to her tea morning and evening. After several months, her cholesterol and blood sugar were also lower.

We looked for a recipe for persimmon punch and found one posted by Hyungshin Song on the Food Network Web site: Combine 2 quarts of water, ½ cup of thinly sliced fresh ginger and 3 cinnamon sticks. Simmer for ½ hour. Strain the liquid and stir in 1 and ½ cup sugar and 1 cup of sliced dried persimmons. Keep refrigerated.

1. KathyD.

I found dried persimmon at Whole Foods in the produce department.

2. Susan

Trader joes has dried persimmons also Asian markets

3. Barbara

I bought dried Persimmons from Local Harvest Stores found on web site.
    If you already tried this tea I hope it worked for you. I have had the acid trouble for years and at soon to be 78 it’s about time I found a non prescription fix.

4. cpmt

If you have a korean supermarket near you they have frozen and dry persimmons and possible persimmon tea. Most of large cities have these supermarkets. N.Y., Philadelphia, Atlanta etc..

5. AD

What is the correct way to brew persimmon tea or ginger tea and what kind of cinnamon?

6. John I.

Hey Hannah! I live in Raleigh, too.
    I just went out and bought a nice supply of dried persimmons from the Korean market on the corner of Pleasant Valley and Duraleigh. Thanks for the background information about the nature of the drink as a desert drink. Very interesting.
    John

7. SS

To Hannah….Thank you for saying this. I read that Persimmon Tea was a mixture of cinnamon and ginger too. I believe you are correct that the Persimmons are a last minute add-in. Does anyone have the recipe for this Korean tea?
    I would like to know what portions of cinnamon and ginger are used. And if there is a specific type of cinnamon that should be used.

8. Frank

To handle acid reflux I used Nexium and Omeprazole capsules for several years before switching to eating persimmons – check the following link for the various types of persimmons http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persimmon In California, Washington state and Oregon, fresh persimmons is available (Nov, Dec, Jan) at all Asian, Middle Eastern countries super markets and even Costco.
    Another alternative is a drink in the form of persimmons leaf tea (available in Asian super markets) with added Ceylon cinnamon (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon In addition to eating persimmons and/or drinking persimmons/cinnamon tea it is important to stop what causes acid reflux in the first place – the persimmons/cinnamon will not do the job alone.
    Some of the drinks and foods that cause acid reflux are all alcoholic/soda beverages, regular tea, coffee, citruses (oranges, tangerines and lemons), chocolate, mint, tomatoes, green or red paper, fried food and red meat. Avoid all spicy food in general. It is worth mentioning that if acid reflux is not handled properly (stopped) there is the possibility of developing, among other things, what is known as “Barrett’s Syndrome” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett%27s_syndrome .

9. Linda s

Get her off the drugs! I have been on them with horrible side effects. Better to try anything naturally!!!

10. Andre

Persimmons are hard to get outside of asia.
    I live in Korea and take Persimmon leaf tea for that has all of the benefits of the fruit without the fuss of peeling and cutting. I take it to reduce cholesterol and clean out my arteries. Yes, recent research at Gyeongnam University has proven that it is effective at this, too!
    Think of it as a kind or ‘drain cleaner’ I strongly recommend it – and it tastes great too.
    Andre

11. NW

What are DGL tablets?

12. DA

How much do you drink a day? and when?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: A LITTLE SHOT GLASS FULL, TWICE DAILY, BEFORE MEALS.

13. mllea

nutsonline.com has dried persimmons at a very reasonable price.

14. Ruth C.

Have you tried chewing DGL tablets or sipping lemon water throughout the day to quell acid reflux? Either of those remedies helps me tremendously.