Q. I had constipation for five years. I was using Citrucel and extra bran on my cereal. I drank lots of water but still had very hard rabbit-like stools.

At water aerobics a friend told me about taking magnesium. It has worked wonders for me.

I take 500 mg before going to bed and have a good response, usually before noon the next day. I asked my internist and cardiologist if it was safe to take and they both said no problem. The cardiologist even said it is good for the heart as well. I thought you might want to pass this along.

A. Magnesium has long been used to counter constipation. Milk of magnesia, for example, is a well-known laxative. Too much of this mineral can cause diarrhea, though. Most people tolerate 300 mg with no problems, but those with kidney problems must avoid extra magnesium.

1. R

Dear cma, Magnesium should not be taken alone. It works with others like Calcium and others. I think you would have to maintain a balance of all of all to have it work well. Ask your Doctor how to take the Magnesium.
    R

2. Gerald

Bob,
    Your message was very encouraging. I have been praying for me to give my health up to the LORD but I don’t always feel confident doing so.
    I’m now 25 and may have a bulging disc or a back strain for a few months now. Starting last week I’ve suffered from constipation/diarrhea. More so constipation. I don’t know what to do. I was advised by a spine therapist to take magnesium but part of me feels like I may even have kidney issues.
    I got a urine and blood test and am awaiting results.
    I guess we’ll see what happens from here.
    I need to continue putting my faith in the LORD.
    G

3. BOB B.

I Suffer from Chronic Constipation due to taking Laxatives, due to Chronic Back Problems. I Had 4 Back Surgeries, Plus I Also have another Bulging Disc, A Lesion, Plus more Spinal Issues. I Also am on my 3RD Morphine Pump for pain meds. It is A Viscous Circle that I am in. I have been Disabled for 38 Years. I was 29 Year old When I Got Hurt, I am Now 67 Years old.
    Now I have a Lazy Colon Issue. I just Put my TRUST IN THE LORD!
    BOB B.

4. Steve P.

What type of magnesium should one take, oxide or citrate and in what doses? Also, the person who mentioned the flaxseed oil, how much do you take a day?

5. Rhonda

I suffered from constipation for years. Only when I started taking 500 mg magnesium twice a day did I find relief. It has been a miracle find for me.

6. cma

I read with interest about the person who used magnesium tablets for consipation; her symptoms were the same as mine. I tried them and for several months they worked like a charm. However, after a while I became quite constipated, just like before. Can one build up a resistance to magnesium? Or do I have another problem?

7. Judy Loudon

My friend told me the same thing. After a couple of weeks, I realized I had incredible joint pain.. everywhere, but particularly in my hips. I’ve had varying degrees of joint pain over many years, and have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, along with some other guesses. etc. I had cortisone shots numbers of times. Discontinuing Magnesium put an end to all this. Now I tell drs. “Allergies: Magnesium.”
    Magnesium is an additive to many products.

8. David Bumgarner

In a recent column I read in the Lakeland Ledger talked about Flaxseed oil and its benefits. I don’t remember what flaxseed was originally good for; I do know it completely eliminated the IBS systems I have been plagued with. At least 3 times a month I would be near incapacitated with constipation and pain, that turned into severe diarrhea. I can’t say thank you enough for mentioning this miracle supplement! I have not exaggerated about my symptoms or effectiveness of flaxseed. I have been completely IBS symptoms free for 4 months.