Q. My husband has difficulty with his daily bowel movement. We eat dark bread and yogurt every day. He drinks milk but it does not seem to be helping the constipation. He is bloated and feels uncomfortable. Any help would be appreciated.

A. The milk he is drinking might be part of the problem. Many people who are lactose intolerant develop diarrhea, but some experience bloating alone.

Increasing fiber and fluid is a good first step. Brown bread may not have enough fiber to do the job. Try “power pudding” instead: Mix one cup coarse bran, one cup applesauce and three quarters cup prune juice. Refrigerate and then take one to two tablespoons daily and wash it down with lots of water.

We are sending you our Guide to Constipation with 10 tips to combat constipation and a dynamite pumpkin bran muffin recipe.

1. Wcg
    USA

Years and years of severe constipation. Numerous RX and over-the-counter medications. Nothing helped. Power pudding recipe was given to by my urologist and finally I am normal. I hope others who are suffering find this solution.

2. W

I have been severely constipated for 8 yrs. My doctor sent me for scans and prescribed different medications and nothing helped. I mentioned the prolonged problem to my urologist who gave me a copy of Power Pudding. After all my suffering, this works!! I did not experience any bloating or gas. (Severe constipation can cause problem with your pelvic floor muscles and bladder.)
    1 cup applesauce
    1 cup unprocessed wheat bran (also known as Miller’s Bran)
    1/2 cup prune juice
    I add a teaspoon or two of honey.
    Instructions:
    1. 1-2 tablespoons per day and increase daily until stool is soft and formed.
    2. Drink 8oz. water after each dose.
    3. Expect some bloating/gas the first 2-4 weeks, but daily use will normalize the colon.

3. Isabel

This is how I made the Power Pudding:
    1 cup Apple Sauce
    3/4 cup Prune Juice or Prunes (must be put into a food processor)
    1 cup Unprocessed Natural Wheat Bran (available at Health Food Stores)
    It Works!

4. CRG

I tried a number of things and couldn’t find anything natural that I was happy taking every day. Tried Miralax and had painful bloating so I tried Power Pudding – amazing stuff. I made a different recipe that’s a little more tasty:
    ½ cup prune juice
    ½ cup applesauce
    ½ cup wheat bran flakes
    ½ cup whipped topping
    ½ cup prunes (canned, stewed prunes)
    Blend all ingredients, cover, and refrigerate up to one week. Take ¼ cup daily with breakfast.

5. FSS

I have the same problem! Thank you so much for the yummy and helpful pudding! Keep up the good work!

6. GKS

A friend at work has real problems and has tried everything but will now try Power Pudding.