Turmeric and its most active ingredient curcumin have gotten attention for their anti-inflammatory properties. We have heard from readers that this yellow spice used in curry powder and mustard can help alleviate arthritis pain. One reader offered the following experience.

“After reading about turmeric in your column, I started using one teaspoon in my scrambled eggs each morning. My arthritis has greatly improved, and I have far less pain when I walk. I work in my yard every few weeks, weeding, hoeing, mowing and pruning. Usually I am sore for days after this work. But this last time, since I started taking turmeric, I had no soreness the next day.”

Investigators are also studying the potential role of curcumin against cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, psoriasis and cystic fibrosis. Putting turmeric powder on cereal (as one reader did) or in scrambled eggs might taste a tad strange. One woman told us that she takes turmeric pills instead and they relieved her arthritis pain. When she stopped temporarily, the pain returned. She resumed taking turmeric pills and the pain disappeared.

1. Ljq

Several people have asked about suffering diahrea when taking curcumin, but nobody as ever answered. I have been taking 500g now for about 3 weeks, but I’m scared to increase it because of the diahrea. Will it stop once my body adjusts? Has anyone found they can increase the dosage in time?

2. sankar

will curcumin develop kidney stones or uti?

3. Mari-Jo

I have taken homemade pills I make of turmeric mixed with black pepper capsules for 2 years now. It has cured the arthritis in my hands and (knock wood) I haven’t been sick with a cold in that time frame, also. I take two capsules a day with fish oil.

• Janet
      United States

I have been making my own turmeric capsules in the 00 capsule size. How many do you take a day and how much black pepper do you add?

• donna
      Boston, Ma

How long do you think it will be before seeing results? I have been on prescribed medicines with side effects. I just bought turmeric 30mg with pepper and take 2 caplets two times a day. Although it has been only 2 days. I still have a lot of pain and inflammation. When I was on medication it took about a month to see results. Do you think it will take the same amount of time with turmeric before I see results? Thanks.

• Terry Graedon

It could take just as long for turmeric to take effect as the medications.

4. Skeeter

I’ve started buying root turmeric from Chinatown in London. I dice it and mix it with porridge or rice. Too soon to know how it works…..

5. Mary

how long does it take for Turmeric to work, for you to know it does? HELP

6. Jay A Clark

What, if any, legitimate, scientific studies have been done to determine specific, effective dosages, based upon actual study groups of believable sizes?
    Testimonials don’t tell how much of what concentration to take for what specific conditions.
    If Natural Health treatments want to truly be of service, they need test results that are equal to or better than conventional medicine. Otherwise, it is just Medieval guess work.
    People’s Pharmacy response: There’s a good bit of animal research and some human tissue work. We definitely need good clinical trials. You might find this review of interest: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22832078

7. jbw

I see where several people asked if they could take turmeric with prednisone but I saw no answer. Please let us know.