sterile water for rinsing sinuses

Have you ever heard of a neti pot? This tool from the Ayurvedic medical tradition looks a lot like Aladdin’s lamp. But you don’t rub it to make a genie appear. Instead, you fill it with tepid saline solution and use it to pour water in one nostril. (Bend over a washbowl or basin, as it will come out the other nostril.) This helps to clear dust, pollen and other gunk from the nasal passages and can be a powerful aid against allergy symptoms. Do you need to use sterile water to make the saline solution? Our reader is not the only one to insist that this is important.

Use Sterile Water in Your Neti Pot:

Q. Please warn people who use a neti pot or other method to flush their sinuses that they should make the saline solution only with sterile water, never tap water. There have been a couple of documented deaths from primary amoebic encephalitis in the past decade from people using a municipal water supply for neti flushes. The problem was an unknown contamination of the water supply.

A. A renowned allergist, Dr. David Peden, agrees that tap water is inappropriate for home-made saline to flush the sinuses. He prefers sterile water or, even better, a commercially prepared saline solution. You could rinse your nasal passages and sinuses once or twice a day during allergy season to ease congestion, but using the neti pot more often isn’t helpful.

The neti pot is not the only technology that can be use to wash away nasal congestion. We’ve heard from several readers who prefer NeilMed or a similar method to flush the sinuses. One person sent this story.

Spritzing Saline to Save the Sinuses:

Q. You recently had a letter from someone with frequent sinus infections. For many years, I too struggled with sinus infections every few months. I’d feel bad and usually have bad breath.

To deal with them, I went to a doctor who would prescribe antibiotics and strong decongestants. Then four years ago, I read in the Mayo Clinic newsletter about using saline solution for clearing out mucus. So every morning after my shower and every evening before bed, I tilt my head back and squirt saline solution in each nostril and “snort” it up into my sinuses. I then blow my nose.

Doing this twice daily prevents mucus buildup that invites bacterial growth. This solution is cheap and natural. The saline spray costs about $3 and lasts a week.

Occasionally during allergy season I still have to take an OTC decongestant, but I have not been to the doctor for this problem in 4 years. This has made life so much better.

Saline Nasal Spray or Neti Pot?

A. Using saline nasal spray as you do is a variant of the ancient Indian practice of using a neti pot with saline solution to rinse the nasal passages and sinuses. Researchers at the University of Wisconsin (Madison) have found that many patients with chronic sinus problems report dramatic improvement when they start using saline solution regularly (Annals of Family Medicine, Jul-Aug. 2006).

With a range of devices available, patients have significant choice about how to wash out their nasal passages. Gradually, doctors who treat allergies and sinus problems are coming to the conclusion that this practice can be helpful (International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology, Mar-Dec. 2018). Irrigation devices can easily become contaminated (American Journal of Rhinology & Allergy, May-June 2012). As a result, you should wash your neti pot or other device after use and be sure to use sterile water when you make the saline solution.

1. Ellen
    NM

How long do you have to boil the water for it to be sterile?

2. Ann
    NY

Is distilled water considered sterile and safe to use without boiling it?

3. Sea
    USA

Distilled water should be ok, I hope, as I’ve been using it for years….

4. Dorothy
    Michigan

Is purchased distilled water the same as “sterile” water? If not, what exactly IS “sterile” water? If using boiled water, is there a length of time it should be boiled or just reaching the boiling point – or what? More specifics and details please. I have been doing nasal irrigation for years, since having had a terrible sinus infection years ago. It has helped tremendously. However, after reading about those horrific incidents of people using tap water and getting bacterial infections (deaths, as I recall), I stopped using tap water and thus effectively stopped nasal irrigation. Allergies are bad this year and I bought some distilled water to use – but now I am uncertain. So: more specifics and details please.
    And thank you.

• Terry Graedon

Distilled water is sterile and you can feel confident using it.

5. Pat

My 20 year old son had a severe sinus infection. He visited the emergency room where he was given antibiotics. After 2 more days of pain, it was detected that the infection traveled to his brain. He was using distilled water. He was in the ICU for 5 days, and it wasn’t clear if he would survive. It was suggested by several doctors that the sinus rinse he was using probably helped push the infection into his brain.

The ENT, infectious disease dr, and surgeon all agreed that the rinse should never be used.

6. Barbara Porto
    Tucson, AZ

I have used a neti pot for many years. I currently am using purchased distilled water to which I add salt, baking soda and glycerin. Is this an adequate equivalent of sterile water? I make up a gallon and store in the refrigerator – before using I pop my pot into the micro wave for warming.

7. Joyce
    San Antonio Texas

Does purified or distilled water count as “sterile water?”

8. Karen
    Indiana

Would distilled water be ok to use in the Neti pot ?

9. Christopher
    Ithaca, NY

Is distilled water OK to use for saline nasal rinse? The instructions for my NeilMed state “distilled water” should be used. Is there a difference between distilled and sterile? And if, so, is it a medically significant one? Thanks.

10. Alice
    Wisconsin

I regularly use the neti pot for sinus and allergy. I would never dream of using any kind of water without boiling it first and putting neti pot itself in boiling water. Cannot imagine anyone using water directly from tap, but using boiling water from my tap is also what makes it affordable to do on a regular basis.

11. Susan
    Bay City, Michigan

In addition to boiling the water before adding the salt, I steep the water with thyme for its natural antibacterial effect. “Nettypotting “ with this solution twice a day when I start feeling congested works wonders!

12. Melanie
    Houston Tx

Can distilled water be used for sinus flushes? Is it considered sterile?

13. John K Ovesen
    Seattle, WA

Will boiling the water first kill the amoeba’s?