hand with eczema red patches on fingers

Eczema, also termed “atopic dermatitis,” is a common skin condition that frequently makes people miserable. It’s considered an inflammatory condition and is more common among people with allergies. Consequently, some people find that avoiding eczema triggers can help a great deal. Doctors often prescribe steroid creams or lotions. The next step is often a medication to suppress the immune system such as tacrolimus (Protopic) or pimecrolimus (Elidel). Such strong medications can lead to serious side effects in some cases. As a result, sufferers may well wish for other ways to help calm eczema.

Natural Approaches to Help Calm Eczema:

Q. I have eczema. My dermatologist has prescribed topical medications like hydrocortisone for at least ten years. Despite this, the patches are getting out of control.

I’ve heard that there is no cure for eczema, but I hope that there is a natural remedy that would clear the patches up. The topical medications and shampoos for eczema on the scalp are very pricey and don’t work very well. I do not even want to go outside in warm weather because the patches look horrible.

A. Eczema, often associated with red, itchy patches of dry skin, appears to be more common in people with allergies. Doctors suspect that eczema results from an overreactive immune system. As we note below, youngsters who get antibiotics early in their lives may end up with immune systems more inclined to allergies or atopic dermatitis. While powerful prescription drugs can help calm eczema, some people have reported that supplements or home remedies can also be helpful.

Can Supplements Help Calm Eczema?

Q. Today I read your column about a person with eczema. I have had total body eczema my whole life until I started taking flaxseed oil capsules. They contain linoleic acid which we people with atopic dermatitis need.

My skin has been clear on flaxseed oil. It has had no side effects and it’s cheap.

Essential Fatty Acids for Eczema:

A. Flaxseed oil does contain some linoleic acid, but it is especially rich in alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). These are essential fatty acids that play a crucial role in skin health (Horrobin, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Jan. 2000).

Eczema (atopic dermatitis) is an inflammatory skin condition that shows up as redness, itching, dryness and thickened sensitive patches. Research in mice that have a similar skin problem shows that fermented flaxseed oil can reduce inflammation and ease the symptoms of redness, swelling and itching (Yang et al, Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Jan. 19, 2017). So far as we know, humans using flaxseed oil supplements are not taking it in fermented form.

Evening primrose oil and hempseed oil provide gamma-linolenic acid, which also appears to be helpful (Timoszuk et al, Antioxidants, Aug. 14, 2018; Calloway et al, Journal of Dermatological Treatment, April, 2005). The scientists suggest that a balance of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) supplied by these supplements might be helpful. In addition, one study decades ago found that people who drank about a quart of oolong tea daily saw significant improvement in their severe eczema (Uehara et al, Archives of Dermatology, Jan. 2001). Although we have seen no further studies of this approach, several readers have reported benefit.

Other Remedies That Can Help Calm Eczema:

A review of research acknowledges that many people would prefer natural approaches (Fenner & Silverberg, Clinical Dermatology, Sep-Oct. 2018). It suggests, however, that “the safest and most effective natural agents are topically applied emollients”–oils and creams applied to the skin to moisturize the dry spots. Some people with eczema have found that Noxzema moisturizer can be helpful. That name is rumored to come from the phrase “knock out eczema.” Other options include CeraVe Moisturizing Cream or CamoCare Soothing Cream. Some patients choose coconut or sunflower seed oil as topical moisturizers, and these also may help calm eczema (Karagounis et al, Pediatric Dermatology, Jan. 2019).

Can You Prevent Eczema and Allergies?

No one knows why allergies like hay fever and eczema have become more common in many industrialized countries. But some researchers may have an idea. Their research seems to support the “Hygiene Hypothesis.”

Could Early Antibiotics Increase the Likelihood of Allergies and Eczema?

An analysis of 22 studies conducted over five decades sheds some light on recent increases in allergies and eczema. Doctors have been enthusiastically prescribing antibiotics to children for ear infections, acne and other common conditions without understanding that this might change the ecology of the digestive tract. These bacteria influence the development of our immune system.

Children Who Get More Antibiotics Are More Likely to Develop Allergies:

Researchers in the Netherlands linked early use of antibiotics to a greater risk of eczema and hay fever. The more often young children received a prescription for antibiotics the more likely they were to have allergies later in life. They presented these findings in 2016 but have not published them.

Such associations cannot prove causation, but we are learning that disrupting the microbiome of the digestive tract may have unforeseen consequences. Other investigators have found that the microbiome has a significant impact on conditions such as atopic dermatitis (Ficara eta l, Journal of Maternal-Fetal & Neonatal Medicine, Sep. 10, 2018; Slattery et al, Clinical Medicine Insights. Pediatrics, Oct. 9, 2016).

Since pediatricians are now striving to reduce antibiotic prescribing so as not to increase antibiotic resistance in the germs that make kids sick, there may be data in a few years to show whether this tactic also helps lower the probability of eczema or hay fever as the youngster grows up.

Learn More:

You can learn more about natural approaches for eczema, dry skin and other common ailments in our book, The People’s Pharmacy Quick & Handy Home Remedies

1. Krista
    VA

Throughout my childhood I was embarrassed by eczema on my hands and forearms. Then I figured out the cause–harsh cleaning chemicals such as Tide, Comet and bleach. I began using Ivory soap for bathing and rubber gloves for cleaning. Since then I found i have no reaction to organic cleaning products from Shaklee. I use All Free Clear for laundry and take my towels on trips. The only outbreak of eczema I’ve had for many years was when I tried a detergent with the “oxy” additive.

2. Frank
    Earth

For my scalp, I use Tea Tree shampoo.

3. hank
    wisconsin

I had small patches of Exzema every winter on my legs for decades. I found a cup of Oolong tea every day eliminated it. It took a couple of months but it went away completely.

4. Todd
    Alabama

I have used goat’s milk soap as a body wash, with a great reduction in knobby eczema and fungal infections. Just use in place of your regular soap at bath time.

5. Jerry
    AZ

I have eczema, and the Rx desoximetasone ointment USP, 0.25% works the best of all.
    I have found that chlorinated water, such as in spas, sets off a flare. Benadryl does work well on me to relieve the burning/inching patches and lets me sleep.

6. Nonie

I am an orthomolecular nutritionist, and I have had over 10 cases completely free of eczema within 2 months on a very doable diet plan with supplements. When a case is difficult homeopathy can be very effective, but almost always there are food intolerances and gut issues that must be addressed to get really great results. As a general rule, I find sugar, dairy, and wheat to be the biggest culprits.

7. Jennifer
    Phoenix, AZ

Using urine on the eczema literally cleared it up before my eyes. Just place urine on the area, leave on for a minute or two, then wash off and dry. Got this tip from a naturopath family member from Holland. It totally works!

8. Patricia
    Spartanburg SC

My daughter suffered from eczema as a young child through young adulthood into her early 20s. At 23 she was also suffering from swollen lymph nodes throughout her body. Fearing the worst we went through all kinds of testing including ultrasounds of the largest nodes. Finally the ear, nose, and throat doctor said it was bacteria entering through the breaks in her skin, and she needed to be on an antihistamine. She has now taken over-the-counter Allegra for the past several years.

Her eczema cleared up within a week of starting Allegra, and she has had no flare-ups since. After years of being told this was a topical disease I find out it is a systemic allergic reaction. I hope this helps someone else. It certainly changed her life. Likewise, her sister was suffering from asthma as a toddler until a doctor put her on an antihistamine every day for several years. He told us asthma is not a disease, just a severe allergic reaction.

I have told other mothers this, and it has helped so many children. They can be weaned off the medicine as they get older and are better able to fight off the allergens. I love your newspaper columns and your website. The Vick’s vaporub on the soles of the feet is a particular favorite. Have no idea why it works but it got me through a very busy work weekend a few years back. Thanks again for all you do!

9. Diane
    Wisconsin

I have had eczema for years. The cortisone cream and special shampoos stopped working after a few years. In desperation, I searched online for natural treatments. One recommended a gluten-free diet. I tried it, and after 4 days my eczema rashes almost stopped itching and started healing. Now, I eat a gluten conscious, but not totally gluten free diet. If I do eat gluten, I pay the price with a little flare up, but I know how to control it. My life is so much better!

10. Douglas
    WA

My mom had Eczema real badly back in the 1960’s and had lots of creams from doctors, and she finally solved her problem by getting a good sun tan several times a year. Our whole family has a problem of low vitamin D, and a lot of Gluten intolerance in our family which lowers Vitamin D and Calcium which leads to osteoporosis which I have.

• Terry Graedon

The symptoms you describe could be due to celiac disease. Have you been tested for it?

11. Lynne
    FL

As a child, I was a “walking ear infection,” had allergies and was frequently on antibiotics. In my mid-thirties, I developed eczema and was miserable. I began taking a probiotic that contained a variety of strains, and after only two weeks my symptoms abated tremendously. It’s now been 5 years, and I rarely have any problems. When I experience “breakthrough” symptoms, an increase in the dosage clears my skin quickly.

12. Laurie
    TX

I developed eczema as an adult. Saw several dermatologists for treatment through the 15+ years I suffered with it. The last one I saw said I had the type of eczema caused by “stress”. I had tried everything, changed soap, shampoos, laundry detergent, prescription creams, etc. etc. etc. Finally my primary care doctor ran IGG blood tests and found an allergy to Casein (a protein in milk). I should say that when I asked my dermatologist about allergy testing then she said it was caused by stress.

As soon as I stopped milk products my supposed eczema from from stress went away. Now, I rarely have any symptoms, and only when I accidentally take something with milk or cheese in it. I urge anyone suffering to have the testing done and see if this might be the cause of your eczema. It’s hard to live without milk or cheese (and the “vegan” stuff in the stores is horrible!) but much better than itching all the time!