kidney, harming your kidneys

It can take years or even decades to discover serious drug side effects. Think of it as a long-running drug experiment. Proton pump inhibitors like esomeprazole (Nexium), lansoprazole (Prevacid) and omeprazole (Prilosec) were considered so safe they were switched to nonprescription status. Now reports are surfacing that PPIs can cause kidney damage. This is an embarrassment to the FDA. Such news also aggravates some doctors. Many people want to know whether a different class of heartburn medicine (H2-blockers or H2-receptor antagonists) would be safer.

Q. You wrote that PPI drugs for acid reflux can put a person at risk for kidney disease. That happened to me.

I quit taking the PPI upon learning that I had stage 3 kidney disease, and my kidney function is holding steady now. Changing from the PPI was a fairly easy process. I went to Zantac, and it works well in controlling my GERD. Why does anyone take these PPI medicines? They can be so detrimental to health.

A. GERD or gastroesophageal reflux disease is not only unpleasant; it can also lead to changes in the lining of the esophagus. Before proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) like esomeprazole (Nexium), lansoprazole (Prevacid) and omeprazole (Prilosec), doctors prescribed H2 blockers such as cimetidine (Tagamet), famotidine (Pepcid) or ranitidine (Zantac).

H2 blockers work reasonably well to control chronic heartburn without damaging the kidneys (Scientific Reports, Feb. 19, 2019).

Some Doctors Deny that PPIs Can Cause Kidney Damage:

Ronnie in Texas shared this story about his kidney specialist:

“My nephrologist says that he doesn’t believe that the PPIs are responsible for kidney disease. He says that the studies don’t take any other factors into consideration.

“In my case he believes that my kidney disease was caused by the large doses of NSAIDS that I took because of the muscle and joint pain caused by statins. I have been taking Nexium for over 20 years, and my kidney numbers are getting better with every test.”

Ronnie, we are delighted to learn that your kidney function is improving. Your nephrologist is absolutely right that large doses of NSAIDs like diclofenac, ibuprofen or naproxen can damage the kidneys.

Sometimes people take PPIs to try to protect the digestive tract from the ravages of NSAIDs. We wonder whether this would present a double whammy to the kidneys.

Should People be Concerned if PPIs Can Cause Kidney Damage?

Your nephrologist may be right about NSAIDs being the culprits in your case. There is, however, growing evidence to suggest that PPIs can cause kidney damage.

The article in Scientific Reports (Feb. 19, 2019) notes:

“Recently, PPI use has come under scrutiny due to growing evidence of renal, cardiovascular, autoimmune and neurologic adverse effects. New data has revealed associations with myocardial infarction,, Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea, community acquired pneumonia, bone fractures, subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus, Alzheimer’s dementia, and kidney injury. Here we evaluated the frequencies of reported adverse events related to kidney injury and electrolyte disturbances in patients taking PPIs.”

Conclusions:

“In this study of over ten million FDA Adverse Event Reporting System records, we provided evidence of kidney injury and electrolyte imbalances in an alarming number of patients taking PPIs. Additionally, we assessed differences between specific PPIs and observed significant electrolyte and renal abnormalities for each individual drug with varying magnitudes.”

The authors recommend to their colleagues that:

“It may be beneficial to monitor renal function and electrolytes including potassium, calcium, magnesium, and sodium. Although H2RAs [histamine-2 receptor antagonists ] have not been shown to be as effective as PPIs, they might be considered as alternatives for patients who are at high risk for developing renal and electrolytes imbalances.”

Histamine H2-receptor antagonists (aka H2-blockers) include:

• Cimetidine (Tagamet)
  • Famotidine (Pepcid)
  • Nizatidine (Axid)
  • Ranitidine (Zantac)

1. Mike
    Maple Valley, WA

I suggest you go to Amazon.com or your favorite book store or library and get and read a book titled “Why stomach acid is good for you” by Dr. Jonathon Wright MD and DR. Alan Gaby MD. It’s real eye opener.

2. Gloria
    Florida

I am a victim who also took Prilosec for many years after a doctor recommended it. Last year I was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney disease. After a month in the hospital and 2 months in rehab and medications, the readings came down to stage 3. I would tell anyone to stop taking this horrible drug. The FDA did not take into account the length of time people have taken this drug.

3. Phil C
    Oh

I have Stage 3 kidney disease and have been taking Pantoprazole DR 40mg for a number of years. Do you think this medication could have contributed to my disease.

4. Mary
    Virginia

I, too, am a victim of kidney disease and I was taken off PPIs immediately when the kidney doctor first saw me. I was stage 3. He also took me off Advil,etc. that I was taking for back pain. At last check I was at stage 2.

I have had little problem getting off PPIs but have to take Zantac occasionally if I eat certain foods. I would NEVER consider going back on these meds.

5. Walter
    Florida

It depends on the quality of life you want. I have gerd and was constantly eating antacid tabs until ppi’s appeared 15 years ago. What a relief but because of the bad publicity I cut down to 20mg of omeprazole every other day and a Ranitidine every day.

This allows me to eat most foods and live and fairly good quality of life.

6. Micki
    Owens Cross Roads, AL

I am a victim of the kidney damage done by Aciphex (PPI) and angered that all-knowing doctors, who you put your faith and trust in, would prescribe such a drug to patients for 11 years, in my case, when this drug should only be used for a very limited (a couple of weeks) time.

7. Louise
    Milwaukee, WI

PPIs are not as innocuous as it would seem, and people are gobbling them up daily like they were candy. They are often prescribed by doctors for decades & sometimes twice a day. Script should be written for 10-14 days.

PPIs have significantly leached calcium from my bones, leaving me w/severe osteosporosis & strongly contributed to my loved one’s dementia. Med science really does not know about how much damage PPIs are doing to our body. Changing your diet can really help instead of reliance on these nasty drugs. Beware.

8. c

What do I think? After reading one person’s journey though damaging drug use, I question why instead of taking more drugs to overcome the destructive effects of the first drug, they did not stop the first drug. The more I read of the harmful effects of statin, the more horrified I get. If a supplement or herb had been responsible for the amount of harm these drugs cause it would have been taken off the market and banned.