Neuropathy is pain that originates from the nerves. For some reason, due to diabetes, damage or some other difficulty, the nerves send pain signals even when the area is not in imminent danger (the usual reason for a pain signal). Doctors prescribe medications such as the anticonvulsant gabapentin to ease the pain of neuropathy with inconsistent results. One reader found a simpler remedy in the closet: hiking boots!
Will Hiking Boots Help Your Nerve Pain?
Q. My neurologist recommended alpha lipoic acid for numbness in my feet, and it helps some. However, walking the dogs around the pond in the cool mornings means I start out the day wearing my hiking boots, and that seems to help the neuropathy even more. This seems more-than-a-little-weird to me; but the comfort is welcome. Since I already own boots, I didn’t have to spend money. At 74 years of age, I worry a lot about neuropathy’s effects on my balance. A fall could be very harmful.
Supplements That Can Help Neuropathy:
A. We’re glad the hiking boots are helpful. You might also want to consider the synthetic B vitamin benfotiamine in addition to alpha lipoic acid. It has been shown helpful against diabetic neuropathy (Vårkonyi et al, Minerva Medica, Oct. 2017).
Unfortunately, however, there hasn’t been much research on this combination to treat nerve pain and numbness not due to diabetes.
Although this is only an anecdote, one reader wrote:
“I know that benfotiamine with alpha lipoic acid can eliminate neuropathy. I had it so bad in my feet that it felt like I was walking on the sharp part of a huge spike! I have been taking both of these for years now and have not had one pain. I could not walk without them.”
We applaud your discovery that hiking boots help ease your nerve pain so much. Walking the dogs is a great way to make your dogs happy and boost your own healthful activity level.
Newsletter Reading List
- 1Show 1153: How to Listen to TV Drug Commercials
- 2Will Drinking Diet Soda Raise Your Risk of Stroke?
- 3FDA Cracking Down on Dietary Supplements for Dementia
- 4Will FDA Approve Esketamine Nasal Spray for Depression?
- 5Will Rx Drug Commercials with Price Information Discourage Patients?
- 6What Is the Link Between Infection and Celiac Disease?
- 7Why Don’t Doctors Recognize Lisinopril Cough?
- 8How to Make Onion Syrup for a Cough
- 9Is It Possible to Lower Cholesterol with Margarine?
- 10How Risky Is It When Insurance Companies Overrule Doctors?
- 11Overcoming Rebound Nasal Congestion from Decongestants
- 12What Is the Right Dose of Baking Soda?