girl with cold, this year's flu, coming flu season, flu worse, avoid the flu,

Did you know that there is a new flu drug in town? The FDA approved baloxavir (Xofluza) to treat influenza on October 24, 2018. In its announcement, the FDA stated “’This is the first new antiviral flu treatment with a novel mechanism of action approved by the FDA in nearly 20 years. With thousands of people getting the flu every year, and many people becoming seriously ill, having safe and effective treatment alternatives is critical. This novel drug provides an important, additional treatment option,’ said FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, M.D.” Overdosing on Xofluza won’t improve its effectiveness, though, and may cause side effects, as this reader discovered. How good is Xofluza for flu?

Q. My husband and I returned from a trip to Europe with a strain of the flu apparently not covered by our flu vaccine. We took Xofluza and after three doses, both of us developed diarrhea and abdominal cramping. We stopped taking the meds, and the symptoms stopped. The headache, congestion, and body aches of the flu were bad enough without adding the diarrhea caused by expensive meds.

A. Baloxavir (Xofluza) is a brand new anti-viral flu medicine. This oral medication shortens the duration of flu symptoms when taken within 48 hours of getting sick.

We are puzzled why you took three doses, though. The advantage of this medicine is that it is given as a single dose. The triple dose might have increased your risk for diarrhea, a recognized side effect of Xofluza. The clinical trial data showed that three percent of people taking one pill suffered this complication.

Why do Americans Resist Oral Antiviral Drugs?

It comes as a great shock to most people to learn that oral antiviral medications have been available for over 50 years. Amantadine (Symmetrel) blocks the influenza A virus from replicating. It was first approved as an antiviral flu drug in 1966.

The drug never really caught on with physicians. That’s partly because the idea of an antiviral medicine was novel. In those days most medical students were taught that there were no effective antiviral medications.

Rimantadine:

Then came rimantadine (Flumadine). It was approved in 1994 and was safer than its cousin amantadine. It was prescribed more than amantadine, but never really took off either. Side effects were relatively uncommon. They included insomnia (2.1%), dizziness (1.9%), headache (1.4%), nervousness (1.3%), fatigue (1.0%), nausea (2.8%), vomiting (1.7%), dry mouth (1.5%) and weakness (1.4%).

Oseltamivir:

When oseltamivir (Tamiflu) showed up in 1999 there still wasn’t a lot of excitement for oral antiviral flu medicine. Side effects such as nausea (10%), vomiting (8%) and headache (2%) didn’t instill enthusiasm. That and the fact that the clinical trials only seemed to demonstrate a one day reduction in time to improvement.

Learn More About Xofluza for Flu:

Here is a recent article you may find of interest:

What Should You Know About Xofluza Side Effects?

How Effective is Xofluza for Flu?

The FDA is uses language that is not very helpful when it comes to describing the efficacy of this drug. It refers to the results of two clinical trials this way:

“In both trials, XOFLUZA treatment at the recommended dose resulted in a statistically significant shorter time to alleviation of symptoms compared with placebo in the primary efficacy population.”

In an accompanying table the FDA notes that the “Time to Alleviation of Symptoms after Single Dose in Adult Subjects with Acute Uncomplicated Influenza in Trial 1 (Median Hours)” was:

50 hours for Xofluza for Flu vs 78 hours with Placebo for Flu

A trial in subjects 12 years of age and older the time to alleviate symptoms with Xofluza was 54 hours vs. 80 hours with placebo.

If you are not impressed by one less day of flu, how about preventing it in the first place? Here are some practical suggestions:

Can You Protect Yourself from the Flu?

Share your own flu experience in the comment section below. How do you protect yourself from coming down with influenza?

1. Leo
    USA

The flu causes nausea, headache and body aches, and anti-virals have those same side effects. So people are expected to haul their sick bodies out of bed, wait hours in a doctor’s office (IF they can even get an appointment) or an ER, and then pay exorbitant prices for a drug that will make their symptoms worse, and shorten the flu by a day or 2. Seems perfectly logical to big pharm, but not to me.

2. Colleen K
    TX

I have used a homeopathic for over 4 years and the results have been amazing. Oscillacocinnum is popular in Europe but less so here in the US. I have friends who swear by it.
    When I begin to get sick, I start taking it. I was getting the flu approximately every 18 months due to age-related compromised immune system development. I have gone 4 plus years without getting anything other than the beginning of illness.
    Scientifically, it makes no sense. It does truly stop…yes, stop… colds and flu!

3. Emily
    California

I try to stay healthy in general by eating a healthy diet, getting enough sleep and regular exercise, drinking plenty of water, and washing my hands thoroughly whenever I come home from being out. If I start to feel that I’m coming down with something, I take combination homeopathic remedies for flu and cold that I buy every time I travel to Europe (harder to find good products here, especially since BHI left the US market), in addition to tinctures of black elderberry and echinacea, and I use essential oils in a diffuser (eucalyptus, lavender, ravintsara, palmarosa, and rosemary). Seventy-five percent of the time, that seems to stave off the flu for me and my husband. We’ve only gotten a flu vaccine once in our lives and we seem to get sick a lot less often than most people we know.

4. Paula
    Wisconsin

I am not willing to pay several hundred dollars for a med and an appointment just to shorten the flu by less than a couple of days. Meds in this country have gotten way too pricey. My husband used Denavir for cold sores, and the last time he went to refill his tiny tube of med the cost, over $900, was too much. He refused the med. This is a sad state of medicine in America.

5. mary3

I work on every possible means to keep immune system healthy and not get the flu shot. Especially since last year [and many other years]. Most people I know who got the shot got the flu.
    “What do I do?” you ask. The list is long. Here’s only a part: immune tonics, lots of organic greens, garlic, onions, elderberry, zinc, sleep, alkaline drinks [lemon juice in water], B, C, D supplements, exercise, filtered water.

Sure would like to hear what others do to avoid the flu shot. To everyone’s health and wellness.

6. JohnB
    Northern VA

Just a hunch, but I think these types of meds will never be big until they’re sold over-the-counter. If you’re coming down with the flu, the last thing you feel like doing is paying big bucks to make an appointment at your doctor’s or wait in line at a clinic or ER. And THEN have to shell out exorbitant prices for these drugs on top of it. Rather endure the flu with some Nyquil.

7. Laurie M.
    Waseca MN

You must keep your immune system healthy and well functioning. Here’s what I do to avoid getting sick:
    Make sure I have plenty of vitamins and minerals on board too. I Stay away from being in public, and wipe down my grocery cart with the provided antibacterial wipes, paying extra attention to the child seat because children carry all kinds of bugs. And I don’t touch my hands or face when in public. Most importantly, I wash my hands frequently when out in public, and especially as soon as I get home!!! These steps work well for me.