Gretchen Rubin Healthier Habits

Habits-things you do on a regular basis without even thinking about them-can have a huge impact on our health. But it isn’t easy to drop old habits that aren’t serving us well, like eating a pint of ice cream every night. Nor is it always easy to adopt healthier habits that could be more helpful, like taking a brisk 30 minute walk every day after lunch. How can we change our everyday lives so that we don’t have to waste willpower making good health choices, but instead do them almost automatically?

Advice on Developing Healthier Habits:

Now as we face our New Year’s resolutions and are focused on our health goals for 2017, author Gretchen Rubin has great advice for us on how to get rid of the habits that hamper us and embrace healthier habits that could help make our lives better than before. Why not make listening to The People’s Pharmacy one of your great health habits for 2017?

How Habits Can Help You Be Happier:

This question and answer didn’t fit in the show, but we think you’ll find it interesting. Gretchen Rubin talks about the connection between habits and happiness:

This Week’s Guest:

Gretchen Rubin is one of the most influential and thought-provoking writers on happiness. Her best-selling earlier book was The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun. She followed that with Happier at Home: Kiss More, Jump More, Abandon a Project, Read Samuel Johnson, and My Other Experiments in the Practice of Everyday Life. In this interview we are discussing her latest book, Better Than Before: What I Learned About Making and Breaking Habits-to Sleep More, Quit Sugar, Procrastinate Less, and Generally Build a Happier Life.

Gretchen Rubin writes a daily blog, gretchenrubin.com, and hosts a popular weekly podcast, Happier with Gretchen Rubin

Listen to the Podcast:

Buy the CD

Download the mp3

Air Date:December 31, 2016

1. Katie
    Loomis, CA

There is no full interview download, yet this program was only aired last week. There’s the 3 minute Q&A, but not the program itself (which I missed). Is the ability to listen to the show 3-4 weeks after it airs no longer being offered?

• Terry Graedon

No, Katie, I was just slow getting it up. You can listen now. I apologize.

2. Becky
    san antonio,tx

What are infantile spasms

3. Tony
    uk

I strained to continue to stick this program,but the minute she started to talk about Gary Taubes ,I realised that her understanding of some of the matters that are mentioned are shallow .

4. Tom
    Concord, NC

Good questions for a very informative guest on the topic. I will share this with my daughter and possibly some part of the message and/or content will talk to her … or maybe she will choose to dig further, which would be good too. Thanks for this show.

5. Carol
    Pinehurst, NC

Gretchen has shared ideas about CHANGE in a positive, upbeat way. Though she is not a psychologist herself, her “advice” is solidly based in learning theory, positive psychology, motivational psychology and other research-based concepts. Thanks Terry and Joe for interviewing her at this time of year, too!

6. Leonard
    Stockton, CA

Back to the soap in bed discussion: I had severe cramp in both legs even though the soap was in my bed, too far away from my feet. I shot out of bed with pain, grabbed the soap out of he bed, put it on the floor and put both my feet on it. In seconds the cramp stopped.

There is obviously some truth about soap in the bed theory. Perhaps, as I mentioned in a past post, maybe use a small amount of soap in each sock each night.

7. Brad
    Eden, NC

I usually listen while doing other tasks. The program today captivated my attention entirely. If I’d heard this 30 years ago, I would have a different life today. Maybe it’s not too late.

8. Julia
    Swannanoa, NC

Dill pickles or pickle juice (which is actually pretty tasty) seem to help a great deal with leg cramps.
    A couple a day seem to help me a lot.