BJ Leiderman with Joe & Terry Graedon for People's Pharmacy Show 1000

This is the thousandth episode of The People’s Pharmacy, and we are celebrating. We invited local listeners who support our host station, North Carolina Public Radio, WUNC, to join us for a live performance of the show.

BJ Leiderman Played our Theme:

Adding to the celebratory mood, we were joined by noted NPR composer BJ Leiderman, who played our theme live for the audience in the Friday Center’s Grumman Auditorium. And eminent radio personality Frank Stasio, host of The State of Things, joined us for the first part of the show. With Frank, we reminisced about how the show got started.

Favorite Home Remedies:

We also discussed some of the favorite home remedies that we have learned from listeners. Occasionally a remedy that sounds entirely improbable, such as putting a bar of soap under the bottom sheet to prevent nighttime leg cramps, turns out to work surprisingly well for many people.

We also took questions and comments from our live audience. They offered testimonials about home remedies and asked questions about confusing health headlines.

Good Advice from Grandma:

We also summarized our best advice about avoiding whiplash from flip-flops in health advice: stick with what your (great) grandmother told you. Science is now proving what your grandma knew all along. You should eat your vegetables, go out and play, get a good night’s sleep and, most importantly, visit your grandma (or just stay well in touch with your loved ones and friends).

Join us for this joyful celebration of wacky remedies and common sense!

This Week’s Guests:

Frank Stasio, a long time NPR correspondent, is host of The State of Things from North Carolina Public Radio.

BJ Leiderman has composed the themes for some of NPR’s outstanding shows, including Morning Edition, Weekend Edition, Wait, Wait…Don’t Tell Me and Science Friday, as well as The People’s Pharmacy. Watch for his debut album this fall: Natural Public Leiderman.

Listen to the Podcast:

Buy the CD

Download the mp3

Air Date:July 25, 2015

1. John M. Morgan
    Beallsville, OH

Congratulations! Love People’s Pharmacy!

2. nancy
    charlotte

What is the ratio for the gin and raisins? And is 9 a day the magic number?
    I really enjoy the show.

3. Paula
    West Virginia

I have been an avid listener over the years and have recommended listening to your 7am broadcast aired here to many persons. I contacted you several years ago regarding the highly toxic nature of Amiodarone and was heartened by your sincere and accurate reply. My husband of 47 1/2 years passed away and was diagnosed at the time of death as having Crytogenic Organizing Pneumonia (Amiodarone noted as a cause of this by the FDA), but when pursuing this legally as a wakeup call to his prescribing physician, who did not inform him or monitor this medication with subsequent lung function or other tests, I was quite discouraged by the verdict of “Contributory Negligence.” This was a line of reasoning by the opposing legal counsel and the drug’s fatal consequences were not allowed to be presented to a 9 member jury by a judge. So much for justice for a patient in this situation.

4. Rich
    Houghton MI

Congratulations on your 1000th show. You asked how I felt about the flip flops on things like cholesterol. I have been an avid seeker of health information for about 4 decades and was always very skeptical of many of the now questioned health rules. Part of my health wisdom came from spending a lot of time with my grandparents in my youth and absorbing their wisdom. It has been sad for me to hear all the flip flops over the years, because I know that most people don’t have time and interest to do the research to figure out what to believe and what to ignore. That’s why I was so grateful to find your show relatively recently.
    I hope you continue to have a great time doing these shows.

5. Barbara
    Blacksburg

You reach your thousandth show, and my regional radio station RadioIQ cancels the Saturday/Sunday afternoon 4pm repeats (effective next week), leaving us with only the WVTF Saturday 7am broadcast. I work until after midnight Fridays…. I’m REALLY disappointed.

6. Janet
    Sanford, NC

I have been an avid fan of your program from the very beginning when it was just Joe. It was wonderful then, but when Terry joined the party, I was amazed at her beautiful “radio voice” and her expertise in so many health topics. You two have really pioneered so many improvements in health care- from drug interactions, physician hand-washing, home remedies, etc. Your programs each week provide us with the best information from the best doctors and other health professionals. Thank you so much!

7. BobK
    South Carolina

Thank you Joe and Terry for all the great shows you have had. You have opened up new pathways for dealing with medical issues and it is well appreciated. The information I heard on your show ended up curing my sister-in-law who had celiac disease which apparently no doctor could find after years and years of office visits. Looking forward to all of your future shows.

8. susan
    tampa

I cannot remember how I first found your information [btw, what herb do I need for long term memory loss :-)] but it was before the internet. At the time, my judicial assignment dealt with incapacity/end of life/mental health…etc.
    I created the Elder Justice Center for a number of reasons, but chiefly to have an administrative division which provide a comprehensive approach for our ever increasing elderly population and its impact on the court. I wanted to distribute your publication about Elders and Drug Interactions, but we could not afford the $2.00 charge per issue. I called your company, they checked w/one or both of you and we were able to copy that publication and distribute it to nursing homes etc throughout our area. So, thank you for that and thanks for all the great advice. I use it routinely in my job and my personal life.

9. Lynn
    NC

Will a video of the live show be available? Would love to see it. Congratulations.

10. Vivian
    Holly Springs, NC

It was a joy to be in your audience for this show! Thank you both for providing such valuable information over the years! Many listeners are healthier because of you and your guests.

11. David
    Holly Springs, NC

I have been hooked on The Peoples’ Pharmacy for a number of years and must say that it has been a life-changer in SO many positive ways. My wife and I are living much healthier than we were before I started listening to Joe and Terry and their many wonderful guests. Congratulations on your millennial show! I look forward to hearing (and benefiting from) the next 1000 and beyond.

12. Tricia
    Dallas, Texas

Congratulations, People’s Pharmacy for your thousandth episode! I’ve been an avid fan since the beginning and will continue to follow for as long as you do the show/newsletter. The information you provide has helped me and so many others understand more about the world of adverse reactions to many medicines and just given us some good, common sense approaches to many (common) maladies.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for a job well-done!!
    Tricia

13. Judith
    charlotte nc

Many heartfelt congratulations to you both for a truly wonderful show! We listen most Saturdays – and we love to play podcasts on long car journeys! 1000 episodes – what an achievement and a loyal following you have!

Cozon’s Charlotte NC

14. Virginia
    NC

Have you any information about the value of apple cider vinegar in managing UC? Am told the “mother” version is more beneficial. Pharmaceuticals for this disorder are extremely expensive & have put me into the “doughnut hole”, insurance wise.

15. terry
    raleigh, nc

Happy 1000th Terry & Joe,

I think I have only listened to 998 of the shows and enjoyed them all. Thank you for an informative, if sometimes provocative, hour Saturday morning. I look forward to your 2000th show.

Best, terry