Fork and knife on table ready for meal

Every five years, the US Departments of Agriculture and Health and Human Services collaborate on producing Dietary Guidelines for Americans. These are supposed to tell us what we should be eating. They are also used to shape institutional food choices, such as those in schools or prisons.

Changes Expected

Will there be any changes in the 2015 Guidelines? The advisory committee has issued its report, which is open for comments until May 8.

We discuss the proposed changes to the dietary guidelines with two eminent nutrition scientists with very different perspectives. One is an advocate of high-fat, low-carb eating patterned on the recommendations of Dr. Robert Atkins. The other is himself a vegetarian and a proponent of plant-based diets.

Listen to find out about the similarities and differences in their evaluations of the recommendations. What should we be eating?

This Week’s Guests:

Christopher Gardner, PhD, is professor of medicine at the Stanford Prevention Research Center in Palo Alto, CA.

Eric Westman, MD, MHS, is director of the Duke Lifestyle Medicine Clinic and associate professor of medicine at Duke University Medical Center. He is author of The New Atkins for a New You and, with Jimmy Moore, KetoClarity: Your Definitive Guide to the Benefits of a Low Carb, High Fat Diet.

Listen to the Podcast

Buy the CD

Download the mp3

Air Date:May 2, 2015

1. Florence
    South Carolina

As much as I would like to listen to the podcasts, I am essentially deaf. So I miss the information being supplied.

2. Beth
    durham, NC

Could Dr. Gardner give us his recipe for vegetable coconut curry?

3. David
    West Palm Beach, Fl

Many years ago my friend, an athlete (and my doctor), put me on a diet that worked for him. He was a vegetarian and wanted to help me get better in my athletic endeavors. Long story short – I went downhill fast with his vegetarian diet and got really weaker and one day, after many blood tests and more, it was hard for him, but he suggested I eat some red meat. It was like magic and I got back in shape quite quickly. Why? We both wanted to know and exchanged books and research and discovered the first clue in a popular book written by an anthropologist, “The Naked Ape”. He (my doctor) and I were different and what was working for him was the opposite for me. Some of us do well as vegetarians, some of us are better off as carnivores. I wish more doctors and health gurus would realize that. We are not all the same.

4. Mary

Is the podcast already taken down? I came here as soon as I saw the post….

• The People's Pharmacy

Quite the opposite, you were too fast! We post the podcast on the Monday following the broadcast date (in this case the broadcast date was Saturday May 2nd at 7:00 AM). The podcast is now up as of Monday May 4th, and will be free to download for the next four weeks! Remember that you can always subscribe to our podcast using iTunes, or the podcast player of your choice and you’ll never miss another episode. Thanks for your interest!

5. JB
    Elon

There are thousands of people who have reversed the diseases of inflammation because of increasing their consumption of saturated fat. Those people have their tests done annually or twice a year and are pleasantly surprised to see their numbers look great. I am one of those people thank goodness. I have been on a high fat diet for 12 months and feel much better. The proof is in the pudding. Do not trust the USDA with your life. Trust the lab work.

6. LeAnne
    Chapel Hill, NC

I’m assuming that our RDA for protein was also done by that political committee. What if those numbers are “off” as well…My husband and I feel better when we eat little or no animal protein but are still not sure if plant protein is enough. There is conflicting information out there.

I’m hoping we find that the grams of protein we should be eating every day turns out to be not necessary. In the meantime, we keep reading, keep listening and mostly follow Michael Pollans words: “Eat food, mostly plants, not too much.”

7. Susan Waldrop
    United States

Can’t find the recipes you mentioned were on the website.

8. Rose
    Texas

The podcasts used to be free forever. I miss that. I can’t find out where to click to listen to the podcast. Also, I’m at my compute and wish I could listen to the show that is airing right now while I’m on the computer.

9. Mary

Dr. Richard Bernstein is an 80 year old Type 1 Diabetic.
    He still has an active medical practice and does a monthly online telecall. To even be able to reach such advanced years, he must know something about health.

In April, 2015, Dr. Bernstein made it clear he recommends high protein rather than high fat diets.

If the fat is on a protein food such as beef, that is okay.