a persimmon, persimmon tea

Q. I have been taking acid-suppressing drugs like omeprazole for more than 20 years.

After reading about the side effects of such drugs, I am ready to quit. I understand that this can be painful.

I read about persimmon punch on your website and would like to try it to avoid heartburn. How often should I take it?

A. People who take proton pump inhibitors (PPI) such as esomeprazole (Nexium), lansoprazole (Prevacid) or omeprazole (Prilosec) may experience rebound hyperacidity if they stop their drug abruptly (Gastroenterology, July, 2009).  Symptoms of reflux can last for weeks.

One reader phased off Prilosec over seven months by reducing the dose gradually. According to people who have used persimmon punch in this effort, it helps to drink two ounces before each meal.

The first time we heard about persimmon punch, it was from a woman who had eaten in a Korean restaurant:

“Someone ordered Persimmon Punch, a concentrated cinnamon-ginger drink, for dessert. A few sips later, I felt fantastic. After a month of adding 3 tablespoons of the cinnamon-ginger drink to my tea morning and night, my heartburn was in control.”

Our Guide to Digestive Disorders has a discussion of the pros and cons of proton pump inhibitors and tips for getting off PPIs. It includes a recipe for persimmon tea and details on using natural approaches for heartburn.

1. Lynn P
    Texas

I have gained 20 pounds since being on omeprazole despite no other change in lifestyle. I tried to stop taking omeprazole, lost 5 pounds but had terrible side effects. I started taking it again 2 weeks ago and have already gained back the 5 pounds. Has anyone else had this?

2. Joseph
    Maryland

where can we purchase persimmon????

• The People's Pharmacy

Persimmons are in season in late fall. Try a large health food store with a good produce department. They are also a popular fruit in Korean and Japanese cuisine, so try asian markets also. You may be able to find frozen persimmons at asian markets that carry a large selection of Korean food.

3. Raymond
    Charlotte, NC

I have stopped taking Omeprazole for a year and drinking 2 – 4 oz. of Aloe Vera each day without any heartburn or acid reflux. I purchased a gallon of Aloe Vera juice that lasts over a month at minimal expense. Far better than the possible side effects of Omeprazole!

4. Karen
    Northern California

Been diagnosed with Kwashiorkor. Anybody else?

5. cpmt

This is a very good ideas but people with diabetes should be very careful. tThis fruit is very sweet.

6. Syl
    Waco

Be sure and give plain old ginger a try. I use grated, fresh ginger in hot tea and for convenience, often take two, 500 mg capsules per day, one morning and the other at night. The results have been remarkable. I took five months to gradually wean myself off Nexium, and use a few Rolaids also when needed, which isn’t often any more. You must use a very gradual, weaning process and not get discouraged. It is possible. Good luck. .

7. HELEN
    Edwardsville, IL

Where can you buy Persimmon drink?
    Where can you buy Miralax Cookies?
    Have a 3 yr. old great grandson who has Hershman problem.
    Was born with it.

• Catherine
      RTP, North Carolina

I, too, would like to know where to purchase persimmon punch or how to make it myself. I am weaning myself off Prilosec generic and love cinnamon and ginger taste. Thanks.