The People’s Pharmacy Award for Excellence in Research and Communication for the Public Health is our way of acknowledging extraordinary health care professionals. Tieraona Low Dog, MD, is the third recipient of this award. She is well-versed in the research on herbs, vitamins, minerals, dietary supplements and how they affect health.

This expertise has been acknowledged before. President Bill Clinton appointed her to the White House Commission on Complementary and Alternative Medicine, and she was elected Chair of the United States Pharmacopeia Dietary Supplements–Botanicals Expert Committee. She is currently Clinical Associate Professor and Director of the Fellowship for the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona. We always appreciate talking with Dr. Low Dog because her explanations are clear, common-sense and grounded in good science. Her communication style is exceptionally friendly and her philosophy is aligned with The People’s Pharmacy.

Previous People’s Pharmacy award recipients were Walter Willett, MD, DrPH, Chairman of the Department of Nutrition and Frederick John Stare Professor of Epidemiology and Nutrition at Harvard University’s School of Public Health, and the late Tom Ferguson, MD. Dr. Ferguson was one of the pioneers of self-care and founded e-patients.net.

1. Rinchu

You were very fortunate to be able to attend. Renee

2. jane d.

Dr. Low Dog is an excellent speaker with a wealth of practical information and a witty presentation style. I was able attend the Scripps conference on natural supplements in Jan, 2011 and I felt so privileged to hear her. A well deserved recognition.

3. DH

I am a grad of the Fellowship in Integrative Medicine and count myself as one of the lucky ones who sat (literally) at Dr. T’s knee and absorbed her wisdom. In the tradition of great healers, she is willing and so able to communicate her knowledge to us so that we may carry on the work she does in our own communities. She is funny, wise, personable and YES—she does respond to those emails quickly! Thanks for recognizing her work.

4. martha f.

Great choice for this award. I heard her speak at the Hinman Meeting in Atlanta and she was fantastic. I would love to be able to hear her regularly in Atlanta. Better yet, she needs to go national.
    Martha

5. Wanda

Congratulations on such a good choice. Dr. Low Dog is always a pleasure to hear and I’m actually jealous that somebody had her as their personal physician. What a dream!

6. ebm

PH, very good choice for the award, and now I finally know how to spell her name!
    thanks!

7. Renee Mazon

I am thrilled to see Dr, Lowdog honored once again. She was my primary physician about 10 years ago, when she ran “The Tree House” a wholistic medical center, here in Albuquerque, NM. Dr. Lowdog is a Native American and explained to me that the “lowdog” was a coyote. She is not only very well informed about herbs and medicine, a good doctor and concerned about her patients, she is physically beautiful, quite tall with green eyes and flowing black tresses…

8. Gail

Hello – Oh, great choice in selecting Dr. Low Dog for this award. I enjoy listening to Dr. Low Dog on your wonderful radio program. I also fondly remember Dr. Ferguson. Thank you for being the vehicle to bring us such knowledgeable teachers and practitioners to guide us in our quest for optimum natural health. G.

9. DW

I agree 100% with this choice. I listened to her on your program and had a question about the name of a tea. After tracking down Dr. Low Dog’s email address, I was absolutely amazed that she responded to my question immediately. Truly a stellar individual. Thank you for your program People’s Pharmacy and thank you Dr. Low Dog!