The anti-clotting drug Plavix has been heavily advertised on television to reduce the risks of heart attacks and strokes. This medication is frequently prescribed to people who have had a stent placed in a coronary artery, especially if the stent has been treated with a drug to keep the artery open. In this circumstance, Plavix can be a lifesaver by preventing clots from forming around the metal mesh of the stent. The FDA has just issued a stern warning that certain powerful heartburn medications may counteract the effectiveness of Plavix.

Omeprazole, also available as Prilosec OTC, cuts the power of Plavix nearly in half. That means patients who are relying on Plavix to prevent a stroke or heart attack may not be getting the protection they expect. A related heartburn medicine, Nexium, is likely to have a similar impact on Plavix. Other medications including Tagamet, Diflucan, Nizoral, Felbatol, Prozac, Serafem, Luvox and Ticlid may also interact with Plavix. Anyone taking this anti-clotting medicine with other medications should discuss the potential for interactions with his healthcare provider.

1. karen
    MD

I am just finding out that plavix can lower your blood platelets,I have been on plavix for about 12 years, and I was sent to a hematologist and he told me this could happen with blood thinners.

2. WLP

I have been on these drugs since 2003 and have had no problems. Just make sure the asa 81mg is safety coated. Makes a huge difference.

3. K Medley

My husband has been in the hospital 3 times due to heart attack and has 4 stents. He is currently taking Asprin, Lisinopril, Metoporol, Plavix and Lipotor. Do all these medications gel with each other? Do any counteract. Since this last visit, Lisinopril was added to his daily medications. He is experiencing nausea (followed by throwing up), stomach pain and has just felt overall consistently bad. His doctor just says exercise and eat healthier. Are these medications causing these ailments?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: HE MUST NOT DISCONTINUE ANY OF THESE MEDICINES ON HIS OWN, BUT HIS DOCTOR SHOULD BE MONITORING HIM CAREFULLY. BOTH PLAVIX AND ASPIRIN CAN CAUSE NAUSEA AND VOMITING; THE OTHER MEDICATIONS CAN ALL CAUSE STOMACH ACHE. THIS IS NOT AN UNUSUAL COMBINATION OF DRUGS FOR SOMEONE WITH SERIOUS HEART DISEASE, BUT THE DOCTOR MUST MAKE SURE THAT THE ASPIRIN AND PLAVIX ARE AT THE CORRECT DOSAGES.

4. Bev

I ran out of Plavix and it will take me several days to get it, is it a problem to skip several days in a row?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: IT COULD BE. ASK YOUR DOCTOR NOW!

5. ebm

There finally is a warning on the Plavix ad on TV about Prilosec and ulcers/stomach
    problems, probably to cover themselves in case of lawsuits. Meanwhile my friend has an ulcer and esophageal inflammation after only 3 months on Plavix. His stomach felt better on 150mg of Brand Zantac than the 300mg Prescription generic. Generics seem to be certified JUNK, and every other month or so the pills are from different vendors and if different colors.

6. MLB

I took Plavix following angioplasty, and experienced excruciating stomach pain. I was unable to swallow anything other than liquids, and could not convince my primary care MD that it was the Plavix. (I had had a similar reaction to Ticlid in the past). Several tests and more radiation later, my cardiologist took me off it, and within 3 days I could eat again. Is this a common side effect?? Now I am on Effient, & not having pain. What is the difference between these 2 drugs? I can’t find any info on your website.

7. FD

I have 2 stents in my veins, after a heart attack, a year ago, I feel fine, and have had no pains in chest or back as before. Lost some 40 lbs. tho, and needed that. Have lost my appetite some, get full feeling much faster. If I live another 20 yrs. will report again. I am 81 now.

8. ebm

To People’s Pharmacy, Is there any news about Plavix raising blood pressure? My friend’s BP is way out of range now, even with Cozaar and amlodipine, are these generics? He is tired all the time and has no energy.
    Thanks for responding.

9. ebm

My friend was always hot and still is with Plavix but his blood pressure went up to 155+
    with TWO BP meds!

10. Bobbie

Ever since i started taking Plavix I am cold all the time. Does anyone else have this problem?

11. Dan C.

I wonder if this means don’t take it at the same time… I mean with each other, or not to take both at all, whether you space it out or not. See what I mean ?? What if you spread them out about 12 hours apart??
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: THIS TYPE OF INTERACTION IS DUE TO THE EFFECTS ON CERTAIN ENZYMES (IN THIS CASE, CYP2C19). USUALLY THE CHANGES IN THE ENZYME LAST MORE THAN 12 HOURS, BUT WE DON’T KNOW IF THAT HAS BEEN STUDIED IN THIS SITUATION.

12. elke

It’s outrageous that prescribing dr’s are not aware of this. My friend pays $158/mo for
    Plavix after stent and artery surgery. He takes Omeprazol for a hernia/reflux. I’ll take
    this to the surgeon but he usually says “that’s for your primary care dr to evaluate when he has med questions.
    THANKS PEOPLE’S PHARMACY FOR ENLIGHTENING US.