BenzaClin is a topical gel used to treat acne.

Full prescribing information is available at:

Check out Wikipedia for more user-friendly information:

Many readers have reported grave difficulties with oral clindamycin:

Clindamycin Can Cause Disastrous Diarrhea

These should be less likely with the topical gel, but some people may still have side effects.

Join Over 145,000 Subscribers
at The People's Pharmacy

1. V.H

I too had reaction to Clindamycin HCL. To begin with, I did not like the looks of the pill but I took one after final root canal procedure and I woke up with swollen cheeks, chin and lips, cheeks, chin and nose are red.

2. VMC

I, too, was given this drug for root canal surgery. After taking 2 doses, I noticed severe blistering on the roof my mouth. Of course, when I reported this to the surgeon, I was told no, probably just a reaction to all the work performed in that area. This was my 8th root canal and never had I experienced that. I went back to the antibiotics that my regular dentist prescribed before the diagnosis and had no problem.

3. Mary V.

After a root canal I was given Clindamycin HCI capsules as an antibiotic. I had no immediate allergic reaction and everything seemed fine until almost a month later I has SEVERE diarrhea. I was diagnosed with C Diff. Long story short apparently Clindamycin is known to cause C Diff. This made me extremely sick. Please warn others of this side effect, especially since the effects did not occur until much later. My GI doctor told me this is a common side effect.

4. MM

After root canal surgery, I developed an infection. I finished a prescription of Amoxicillin and did not get rid of the infection. I was prescribed Clindamycin yesterday and within a few hours of taking my first dose of 2-150mg pills, my face was red (like a sunburn)and itchy. My face became swollen, especially around my mouth and chin and my lips were extremely swollen. No other side effects at this point. Was given Benadryl and Ranitidine at hospital emergency and sent home with those medications to continue using. My face is still bright red and itchy and the swelling has come down a bit, but am still really worried. Needless to say, I was taken off this drug!

5. MM

After root canal surgery, I developed an infection. I finished a prescription of Amoxicillin and did not get rid of the infection. I was prescribed Clindamycin yesterday and within a few hours of taking my first dose of 2-150 mg pills, my face was red (like a sunburn) and itchy. My face became swollen, especially around my mouth and chin and my lips were extremely swollen. No other side effects at this point. Was given Benadryl and Ranitidine at hospital emergency and sent home with those medications to continue using. My face is still bright red and itchy and the swelling has come down a bit, but am still really worried. Needless to say, I was taken off this drug!

6. abigail

please refer here to the serious side effects of this drug reported by your readers.