1. HNE

My husband had taken Plavix and then the generic for 7 years following 3 stents placed in 2006 with no ill effects. Earlier this month he had 2 additional stents placed. For that procedure he was given a large dose of clopidogrel. A few days later he developed a generalized case of hives and was put on steroids and taken off the clopidogrel and put on Effient.
    We were told that he could never go back on clopidogrel, but given the more serious side effects of the Effient, I would like to know if that is so. The manufacturer’s insert says Effient should not be taken if the patient has had an allergic response to clopidogrel. He had no trouble for 7 years.
    How can we be sure that it was the clopidogrel and not something else in the hospital like latex or the dye that caused the allergic reaction? Our cardiologist just says that this is what the interventional cardiologists at Johns Hopkins tell him is now the procedure. I need more of an answer.

2. Sherry

I had been taking placid for 6 months when my MD called to have me take genetic test to see if I was a rapid metabolized. Turned out I was so the plavix wasn’t doing me any good. Now I’m on aggrenox.

3. BGSC

Recently (in April I think)) I read an article in the People’s Pharmacy about Plavix affecting some neural connections or fibres, but I did not save the article. I also have severe back pain, which seems to have been coming on gradually in the last four or six months. I started Plavix in August.
    Thanks for any help.
    BGSC
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: THE BIG WORRY WITH PLAVIX IS EXCESSIVE BLEEDING. IT CAN ALSO CAUSE DIGESTIVE PROBLEMS. IF THESE ARE TREATED WITH PRILOSEC OR NEXIUM, THE ANTICOAGULANT MAY NOT WORK AS EXPECTED. PLEASE TALK WITH YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT THE BACK PAIN, AS THERE MAY BE ANOTHER EXPLANATION.

4. CEN

I’m on a Plavix (Clopidogrel) and aspirin regimen myself and have been for 10 years. I recently got fed up with paying top dollar for Plavix while waiting for the generic in the USA. This will happen in 2012 I understand. In any case, I’m spending $32 for a 90-day supply of 75mg Clopidogrel from Canada and made in India. I feel like a “million bucks”, have no ill-effects, and saving a bundle, too. When Bristol-Myers comes out with their generic, my reaction will be KEEP IT!!

5. MLB

I developed intense stomach pain while taking this drug. Is this a common reaction? Is there something else I can take that will not have this effect, yet protect my heart?

6. TNF

I was prescribed Plavix after a stroke in 1999. I also take an aspirin each day.
    They came out with a generic a while back then pulled it off the market.
    I can save a lot of money ordering from Canada. Usually the drug is made in India. Also I can get some from Barbados. Is this safe?