golden raisins and gin, gin soaked raisins

One of the most popular remedies people write about is the one involving gin-soaked raisins for sore, stiff joints. This raisin remedy is so simple and improbable that it holds real fascination for many folks. We appreciate some of the more dramatic stories our readers have shared.

Raisin Remedy Made Walker Unnecessary:

Q. A neighbor of mine was so crippled with arthritis she had to use a walker. She and her husband had over a hundred beautiful azaleas that she could no longer care for.

Then I walked by her house and thought I was seeing things. There she was, down on her knees, working in her flower beds. I said, “Nancy, have you experienced a miracle?” “No,” she said, “just gin and raisins!”

I began taking the recipe and was able to stop going to the arthritis clinic, which wasn’t helping anyway. My osteoarthritis subsided and I stopped taking the remedy. Now, 10 years later, I’m 67 and the arthritis has come back in the last joint of my little fingers with redness, pain and swelling. I remembered the recipe but forgot to let the gin evaporate. It turned into the most delicious raisiny brandy and helped the joints be less painful and swollen.

In the next batch I used black raisins. For some reason, it isn’t helping as much. I guess I’ll go back to yellow raisins.

A. We cannot begin to explain why some folks benefit so dramatically from the gin and raisin remedy while others tell us it is worthless. The recipe calls for a box of golden raisins in a shallow container. Just enough gin is poured over them to cover. Once the gin has evaporated the “dose” is nine raisins a day.

Readers Offer Their Own Stories:

Here are a number of additional testimonials:

“I have been using the gin-soaked raisins for my arthritis for a few months and I am now pain-free and require no medication. I am sleeping better since I no longer wake up in the wee hours of the morning with arthritis pain.”

Of course not everyone gets relief, but here is another story:

“My mother has arthritis in the joint of one of her little fingers. The joint was frozen and she was in constant pain. Since she started eating gin-soaked golden raisins, the pain is gone and she is able to play tennis twice a week without discomfort. My mother just turned 81!

“We also suggested the raisins to a friend who was visiting from Norway. She has suffered years of pain from rheumatoid arthritis. After only a week of gin-soaked golden raisins, her pain was already starting to subside.

“I don’t know what it is, but it seems to be very effective. I would like to get additional information that I can pass on to other members of my family and friends. Any help would be greatly appreciated.”

Questions About the Raisin Remedy:

People frequently have questions about the recipe. Here is one:

Q. I plan to try relieving my arthritis with gin and golden raisins. The gin has evaporated very quickly, in less than 5 days. The raisins are still very moist, however. Do I need to leave them out for a longer period of time? When they go in the jar, does it need to be refrigerated?

I appreciate your advice, although my kids are laughing at me. Do you think this remedy will work?

A. If there is no longer any liquid gin in with your raisins, you don’t need to leave them out any longer. And though the jar should be kept closed, it is not necessary to refrigerate the prepared raisins.

We are sending you our Guide to Alternatives for Arthritis, which gives details on preparing golden raisins and gin and offers a number of other non-drug approaches to alleviating arthritis. It never fails to amaze us how many questions people have about the “raisin remedy.”

FAQs about Gin-Soaked Raisins:

• How long does it take for the gin to evaporate?
• Once the raisins are ready, what kind of container should they be kept in?
• How much alcohol is in the raisins?
• Does it matter what type of gin?
• Can you use dark raisins instead of golden raisins?
• Are there any side effects?
• Will I flunk a Breathalyzer test after eating the raisins?

Those who would like more details on the “raisin remedy” and other unique approaches to arthritis relief may wish to order our Guide to Alternatives for Arthritis.

1. Leonorah Stout
    Burlington, NC

Is there a certain kind of gin that should be used to soak the golden raisins in?

2. Ev
    Florida

I’ve been using organic muscat golden raisins and the best natural gin I could find. Covered the raisins in gin in a jar w/lid to shake it up once in a while. Let gin soak into raisins for a few days & starting taking about 3/day. Now up to 5/day and it has substantially relieved knee arthritis pain to the point I can kneel with only a little discomfort compared to not being able to kneel at all.

Prior to this the knee pain and bending down was very painful and could not do it at all. However, I also became more active over the same time period, so for me the activity & the raisins are both a factor in relieving pain. I do notice that if I should miss a dose I tend to feel the knees a bit more, so I just take it when I can. Do not like to miss a dose.

My 80+ mother is now starting to take it. She will be a good test subject as well. My suggestion is to keep it simple when making the raisins. I keep them in the fridge but they can be kept out as I did in the beginning. Either way is fine. I just replenish jar w/more raisins & top off (cover) with gin & mix it up & keep eating them. Please try it! It’s worth the couple bucks.

3. Brenda

I read some time ago on your page that Sloe Gin should be used with golden raisins. Is it that gin or regular gin that should be used?

4. Susan

After putting the gin on the raisins and letting it evaporate, an you put the raisins in the refrigerator so they will keep?

• Rookmani
      California

Hi,
      Can anyone please advise how many raisins and the amount of gin in order to get the remedy correct?

5. Joy

Do you put the raisins in the fridge? Do you cover them?

6. Ron

I take one tablespoon of golden raisins soaked in gin a day and my pain is gone and I mean gone!

7. AD

I to am wondering if there is any other liquid to use besides gin, as i do not drink any alcohol.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: WE DON’T KNOW HOW IT WILL WORK, BUT ONE READER IS EXPERIMENTING WITH APPLE CIDER VINEGAR IN PLACE OF GIN. IF YOU TRY IT, LET US KNOW IF IT WORKS FOR YOU.

8. CBarr

I had continual back pain and knee pain. VA advised it was osteoarthritis, prescribed Motrin.
    Began taking the gin and golden raisins about two years ago. Take no medication and the pain is a thing of the past. Took about 90 days or so before the total relief.
    For those so afflicted its certainly worth a try!

9. LBP

Would like to try the golden raisens and gin, how many do I eat every day?
    Thanks

10. jackig

is there any contraindications for taking sulfur dioxide every day? I eat the raisins daily. Do you then think it matters if the raisins are yellow or natural? I would prefer to use natural raisins but want it to continue working. I am stiff when I awake in the morning but then i can walk for 45min before work daily. It seems to be working.

11. D. Campbell

I took 1200 mgs of IU daily for about 4 years. The Drs. switched me to Tynol at 500mgs, then 1000 mgs, then 1350 mgs every 6 hrs. I stayed with the Tynol for about 9 months until I read this article.
    After reading this article, I tried the raisins. I’ve stopped the Tynol and only occasionaly need one low-dose Tynol if I physically exert myself too much. It’s been a month that I’ve been on the raisins and I feel GREAT !!!

12. CS

Response to PAUL C. GULEY: golden raisins are NOT bleached, they are from green grapes and contain only sulfur dioxide, which is a preservative. This sulfite prevents darkening of the fruit during the drying process.

13. sg

Is there something you can use besides gin in the raisins? I do not touch alcohol, even though it evaporates…
    Is there something else??

14. jrs

The golden raisins are bleached and the bleaching compound is a standard Arthritis treatment. The Gin berry base may help make it work better.

15. PAUL C. GULEY

VITAMIN D SEEMED TO SHUT DOWN MY ARTHRITIS PAIN. I STARTED TAKING VITAMIN D 400 IU AND THEN WENT TO 1000 IU’S AND THEN TO 2000 IU’S FOR ABOUT A WEEK AND THAT DID SHUT DOWN THE PAIN. THEN I STEPPED IT DOWN TO 1500 IU’S AND THEN BACK TO 1000 IU’S AND IT SEEMS TO WORK. THE SORE PAIN HASN’T COME BACK. TRY IT. PG OUT

16. Rose Glenn

I have taken chromium picolinate (500 mcg) once a day to prevent diabetes for 30 years. Diabetes was prevalent in my family so I read in AARP magazine to take this vitamin. I am so happy I read the article, because I know how bad the disease is.

17. Rhonda

I began taking the gin and golden raisins daily several years ago at the advice of my doctor. I had not been able to wear my rings for months due to swollen knuckles and could barely close my fist, but after about a month of the gin and raisins I was able to wear my rings and have virtually no pain in my fingers. It works for me! I will continue to use it.