Q. I am always interested in the arthritis remedies I find in your column. After reading that turmeric could help, I bought some and took the pills according to directions. Several days later I had such a terrible rash that I had to go to the doctor for prednisone. I’ll never do that again!
A. We hope you are doing better. Your story is an important reminder that people can develop allergies to natural products as well as to pharmaceuticals. You are wise to avoid turmeric in the future. Keep in mind that it may be found in curry and yellow mustard as well.

1. October
    Georgia

I am highly allergic to tumeric as well. Kept breaking out in a very itchy rash all over my body (including ears and underarms). It was in one crab cake I ate and that was enough to trigger to reaction. Soaking in an apple cider vinegar bath can soothe the itching somewhat.

2. Simona
    Gladstone

9/22/17 – I’ve been taking Turmeric, organic from India as a supplement and after 3 weeks (of one capsule a day instead of two as recommended) I started to have an allergic reaction to it; itching on my forearms, my scalp, around the eyes and forehead and swelling of my tongue. I took Benadryl and the symptoms are subsiding. I love its properties but I cannot tolerate it. Hope yall have better results.
    Blessings,
    Simona

3. Margie
    Florida

Just started taking turmeric mixed with apple cider vinegar. Makes me feel better but the third day Im itchy and red spotty areas on arms and forehead. Could this be why?

4. Danielle
    New Hampsire

I have been using Curcurmin: Tumeric and black pepper in capsules from a reputable lab and advice of an excellent regular pharmacist also naturopath. Fabulous results!! Muscular pains gone, arthiritis in my knees so much better…a plus: it lessens your appetite like crazy. A nice plus.

Then Bingo! I am on my third bottle of 2 capsules twice a day and my dentist noticed and I felt it …my mouth was very dry, and despite pristine oral hygene and visit to the dentist every 3 months, I had plaque due to dry mouth.

Yesterday morning, I woke up with half of my face red and burning hot…and a bit on the other cheek also. It is calming down a bit but I am stoping cold turkey. I loved the stuff !! Great results. But this is scarry and my teeth and face matter more.

5. Delilah
    Indiana

I have allergies and am not sure what’s going to cause a reaction until I come in contact with it. The first time I used turmeric in a meal my mouth felt funny. I didn’t think much of it. When I woke up the next morning my mouth was swollen, and my right eye was swollen. Halfway through the day I had hives all over my body. My face was bright red, and my lips remain swollen. I did use Benadryl pill and cream. If you have allergies alway have Benadryl nearby. You might want to invest in an epi pen as well.

6. Dennis Mallum
    86305

Since taking Turmeric for arthritis, I have had very dry nostrils and a burning sensation inside of the nose. Does this sound like an allergy?

7. Moreen
    Toronto

I used turmeric for a tooth paste mixed with baking soda…the next day my gums were red and inflamed…felt a burning in my mouth. I’m convinced this was a reaction…thoughts?