Tune in to our radio show on your local public radio station, or sign up for the podcast and listen at your leisure. Here’s what it’s about:

Does your mood affect how much you eat? While serious depression or anxiety are known to change appetite, even milder changes in mood can have surprising effects. You might be surprised to learn that food rituals, such as saying grace, can also alter our eating behavior.

Studying the impact of environmental cues on how much we eat shows us how we could change some of those factors to achieve healthier eating patterns. How could choosing low-fat snacks get you into trouble? How do you know when you are done with dinner? Learn about tricks you can use to stop eating when you want to.

Guest: Brian Wansink, PhD, is the John S. Dyson professor of applied economics at Cornell University and Director of the famous Cornell Food and Brand lab. He is author of Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think. His forthcoming book, Slim by Design: Mindless Eating Solutions for Everyday Life, will be published in September. His websites are: http://foodpsychology.cornell.edu/

1. TL

I really liked this show and found so many good tips that I had not heard a dozen times from other sources. The one minor issue I had is that I feel like he was a little patronizing/condescending in his talk and tone about people that are “bummed out”.

2. pp

When we moved to a retirement center we found desserts were the first thing we saw on the buffet line. Knowing this would be a trap, I decided that I’d allow myself one dessert a week. Then if something special came up, I was free to make it my “one big one!” Otherwise you find yourself thinking, “is this worth my dessert this week?” and realizing it really isn’t. This approach I find freeing, cause it keeps me from mindless eating sugars, but knowing if there’s something special, like strawberry shortcake, that’s OK.

3. Paul C. Guley

Hi, One item you didn’t touch on in your broadcast is that starch conversion to sugar to fat is another problem to losing weight. There are people who lack the alpha-amylase enzyme ptylin(sp) in their saliva and can eat huge portions without getting over-weight. White beans Canelli albias, maybe Navy beans too block alpha-amylase and prevent conversion of starch to sugar. This idea should be great for weight loss for those people over-weight. It’s not practiced. Are there studies that include ptylin blockers in weight loss programs?

4. Anna Cordova

I thought the show was very good overall, and I have enjoyed reading Dr. Wansink’s book recently so the show was well timed.
    My only criticism was the “bumbling idiot” tone that Dr. Wansink took on when describing how people think when mindlessly overeating. I presume he meant to be funny, but his message came across as demeaning when he spoke in this way.
    Keep spreading the good word, Dr. Just don’t assume we are dumb!

5. Sue Anne Mathewson

Just happened to catch your show this morning and wow, very informational! Very interesting research as well as practical!
    Thank you! I intend to try some of his suggestions.

6. SCstarman

WOW! What a terrific program Prof. Wansink gave you. Neat guy. Neat research. Practical results you can use. Wish he were my neighbor.

7. rebekah

I’m wondering if your guest has heard of the book “Nourishing Traditions”? It’s a philosophy of eating/food preparation that is ancient, and argues that our modern low-fat diet is actually harmful to our human bodies. We NEED good fats found in broths, fish oils, etc; it’s actually sugar and processed foods that are making us unhealthy.
    What does your guest think?