Tune in to our radio show on your local public radio station, or sign up for the podcast and listen at your leisure. Here’s what it’s about:

Over the last several years, enormous controversy has erupted over the usual ways we detect and treat breast cancer. What is the current state of scientific understanding about this common disease? Dr. Susan Love, author of the enormously popular Dr. Susan Love’s Breast Book, describes when mammograms are most helpful and why people have been arguing about them. She also discusses what is now known about the nature of breast cancer and shares her personal story as a cancer (leukemia) survivor. How can women help science learn about preventing breast cancer in the first place?

Don’t miss the extended interview with Dr. Susan Love.

Guest: Susan Love, M.D., is Chief Visionary Officer of the Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation, a nonprofit organization dedicated to the eradication of breast cancer. She is also an adjunct professor of Surgery at UCLA.

She is the author of Dr. Susan Love’s Breast Book and Dr. Susan Love’s Hormone Book. Her websites include armyofwomen.org and healthofwomenstudy.org, as well as dslrf.org. We offer the opportunity to get both the CD of the show and Dr. Susan Love’s Breast Book for 15% less than list price in this Listen & Read combination.

1. Gloria G.

Don’t depend on mammograms. I had itching, slight inflammation, and inverted nipple. The mammogram didn’t show stage 3-4 breast cancer.

2. pat f.

Hello Dr. Love,
    I would dearly like a follow-up podcast for older women on health directions for women over 70. If not a show, possibly a book suggestion.

3. Russ1a

“Chief Visionary Officer” is quite a title. I was wondering if any of those visions might include Fever Therapy for prevention of cancer? See: Healing Heat: Harnessing Infection to Fight Cancer, http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/healing-heat .
    Sincerely, Russ

4. Keith M

I listened intently at Dr. Susan Love’s suggestion that a vaccine might be available one day to prevent breast cancer. But I was surprised when she stated that the HPV vaccine had almost eradicated cervical cancer. The truth is that we won’t know the outcome of the HPV vaccine until these young girls get into their 40s, because that’s when cervical cancer becomes an issue. According to the National Cancer Institute’s own data, girls under the age of 20 have a 0.2% probability of getting cervical cancer, and approximately a 0.0% probability of dying from it. I recently put this to Dr. Laura Kautsky, a leading researcher in this area, and she didn’t contest it. This might sound like I’m changing the focus of the interview, but these inaccurate statements cut to the heart of a person’s credibility.

5. cpmt

When I went to a clinic in Florida, I found that 50% or more of the guess were women with breast cancer and a few with ovarian cancer. Most of them were taking radiation and had a lumpectomy … many of these were back with metastasis of their breast. I choose mastectomy instead of lumpectomy. Just to be on the safe side. I don’t know If I did the correct thing, but I was not going to take a chance, after seen how many of these women had recurrent cancer in other parts of their body (lungs, liver etc).

6. Anonymous Too

I’m not sure how Dr. Love would answer this question but I wanted to tell you that about a year ago I was diagnosed with DCIS – stage 0, ER +, no nodes or lumps. I had a series of mammograms which led to ultrasound images which led to a stereotactic biopsy which clearly showed DCIS.
    I was prepared to have a lumpectomy at which time my surgeon said that she likes to have MRI imaging and biopsy prior to surgery just to make sure there’s nothing else there. Not only did the MRI further confirm that I had DCIS but it also discovered invasive breast cancer in another area that no other testing had picked up on! I had breast cancer! Not just DCIS.
    At that point, I picked up Dr Susan Love’s latest book and read it in depth. Her book helped me find my own path – I came to KNOW what I wanted for MYSELF. I opted for a bilateral mastectomy with immediate diep flap reconstruction and I am very happy with my choice. By the way, the pathology after surgery showed I had pre-cancer cells in my other breast that no prior testing had seen. My surgeon told me that I made the best decision for the rest of my life considering that pathology report.
    Don’t rate DCIS too lightly. Do something, for sure. I hope you find the best decision for yourself. God bless you in your journey. Wishing you lots of love and support.

7. KatNT

What about Metastatic Breast Cancer? What is being done for Stage IV? Remember the elephant in the Breast Cancer room. Where is the research? Where are the studies? Where I are the discussions?

8. Greg Sava

I am somewhat disappointed in the Graedon’s refusal to interview people who are real experts on bio-identical hormones. Dr. Love obviously has a bias against them, and seems generally in favor of drugs. IN all the years of reading about natural hormones, I have never seen anyone promote “large amounts” of any of them. In fact, the least amount that is effective has always been the protocol. There is plenty of research done proving the cancer protective qualities of nat. progesterone vs synthetic, as well as cancer protective qualities of estriol, vs estradiol found mostly in Premarin along with other nasty stuff.
    For much better info than I can give, see http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2009/oct2009_Bioidentical-Hormones_01.htm
    You are usually so good about having guests with the latest research- but in this case you seem stuck. Love the show- most of the time!
    Greg Sava
    People’s Pharmacy response: The “lowest effective dose” has changed quite a bit over the years with Premarin, and perhaps with bio-identicals as well. We still think the definitive research hasn’t been done on this topic, and may not be. After all, who would pay for the study?

9. Barbara V

Thank you Dr. Love for your book, this broadcast and your passion for the topic.
    We can never have too much information about our condition.
    Again, thank you.

10. Mary Abouzeid

Thank you, Dr. Susan Love–for your book, this interview, and the research you are leading. This was a fabulous show.

11. Michele

I a listening to you program today and have a comment.
    I was diagnosed with estrogen-receptive breast cancer in Dec 1997. I had been to see my gynecologist and he did not feel the lump. I had been getting mammograms for about 6 years and that test showed the change in the fibrocistic (sp?) tissue. Cancer was also found in 3 lymph glands. I had a lumpectomy, chemo and radiation in the first half of 1998. My cancer was stage 1 and slow growing.
    For me the mammogram possibly made the difference between a mastectomy and lumpectomy or possibly between other very negative consequences or not.

12. Anonymous

A Question for Dr. Susan Love: How does one follow DCIS if one doesn’t elect to have surgery? We are talking about DCIS stage 0 er+ no nodes or lumps. I have seen this referred to as a risk factor for breast cancer, not something to have surgery on. What to do instead?
    Can the blood test used to follow chemotherapy progress be used to monitor the DCIS without chemotherapy?
    How are other countries handling this? Any new research? PLEASE ADVISE.