Tinnitus, often referred to as ringing in the ears, can be a terrible problem. The sufferer hears a sound that no one else perceives, whether it is hissing, booming, buzzing, chirping or clicking. It is very difficult to get the sound to stop and some victims find it is so intrusive it is difficult to function.
Over the last several years, research has begun to point to the brain as the source of tinnitus. Is there a way to tame the brain? A new approach, using a programmable device called Neuromonics, has had positive results.
Guests: Paul Davis, PhD, is the inventor of the Neuromonics Tinnitus Treatment and was, for a number of years, the company’s Chief Scientific Officer. He teaches audiology at Nova Southeastern University in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
Rebecca J. Price, AuD, CCC-A, is a Clinical Specialist in Audiology in the Division of Speech Pathology & Audiology at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, NC.
Debara L. Tucci, MD, MS, is Professor of Surgery in the Division of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery of the Department of Surgery at Duke University Medical Center. The photo is of Dr. Tucci.
The podcast of this program will be available the Monday after the broadcast date. Podcasts can be downloaded for free for four weeks after the date of broadcast. After that time has passed, digital downloads are available for $2.99. CDs may be purchased at any time after broadcast for $9.99.

1. Kay C.
    Virginia

Interested in this conversation.

2. nancyp143

Facelift, huh. I had a facelift too, and tho it did not affect the tinnitus it did make me vulnerable to frequent eye irritations. Plus my face “fell” way before it should have which led to a whole other set of issues. I’ll look on here for another thread on facelifts. Much to say about that.
    I just got over a really bad virus complete with Zithromax and the tinnitus was exacerbated by sinusitis, fever and (probably) the atb. I have tried to cut back on the online-ordered gingko biloba combo but find I can’t cut back much. Like some prescriptions, my body seems to need this now. And after attempting a new job on night shift, that too exacerbated the tinnitus. So controlling tinnitus is causing big changes in lifestyle.

3. S. P.

My tinnitus began a few months after a facelift. Don’t know if the nerves to my ears were affected, but nothing else in my life had changed prior to the surgery.

4. JS

Can you please tell me what the remedy was?

5. Mary F. H.

I enjoyed reading comments. My tinnitus started one year ago when for first time ever I developed poison ivy on left arm & used calamine lotion went away. Returned few days later on right arm and body. Doctor prescribed prednisone and claritin for the noise it was causing in my right ear. However after the prescribed 10 days of medication the poison ivy was gone but the loud tinnitus remains with me in the right and at times is in my entire head. Two ENT doctors have tried all they know to do and both have said hearing aids. Both said not possible for the prednisone to have caused it but never had head noises prior to this episode.

6. cpmt

I don’t know if it will work for you but I notice that when I eat or drink anti inflammatory foods the ‘noise’ is less strong. I eat cherries, and fresh ginger tea. it doesn’t go away but is less noisy.

7. Abigail

Does anyone know what the homeopathic remedy is that was so helpful to JG? Or any homeopathic remedies that are helpful for tinnitus?? Some of us respond well to those tiny doses of remedy and much better than to mega doses of supplements.

8. CES

Many have asked for the homeopathic remedy, but some people just post and don’t choose to receive follow-up responses. (Homeopathics are very individualized, for the most part, anyway.) I’m glad the homeopathic remedy worked for the person who posted, but I don’t think s/he has even seen our requests to know what it was!

9. cart 6719

I also started experiencing tinnitus while receiving chemo about 4 years ago. Thankfully, I mentioned it to the MD and he changed the formula of the chemo so it didn’t worsen at that time. On the other hand, it never got better and does slowly get louder and affect my hearing in the affected left ear. I have seen the ad on TV for bioflavonoids but haven’t tried it myself. The homeopathic solution mentioned in this forum sounds fascinating to me…but I haven’t seen the exact medication mentioned.

10. C. de la Varre

The most common form of tinnitus is subjective (only you can hear it) but in a small number of people with objective tinnitus, the sounds can actually be picked up by an external microphone. The American Tinnitus Organization mentions this on their website (ata.org).

11. cart 6719

Well, what was the remedy/ Share the rewarding information, please.